U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 05-11-2010, 10:00 AM

4,509 posts, read 7,459,792 times
I would enroll my dog in an Adult dog Obedience Class with other adult dogs and owners. Many Humane Societies offer classes like this for a reasonable fee.

These classes are a controlled environment where you and your dog can socialize safely and figure out what's going on and how to handle your dog in these situations. .

Personally, I dont like dog parks, at all....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-16-2010, 01:00 AM

5 posts, read 2,195 times
Thanks very much for all the advice. To be clear, I am not letting my dog go in the park, we are just outside the fence, and because we are outside my dog has to be leashed. However, he did go in one time when invited by a dog owner who knew his situation. I tell the other owners that my dog is just learning to be social so there is no surprise there. I understand the one comment about how unknowingly aggressive dogs are put in there becuase I have observed them in there torturing other dogs and coming over to the fence to growl at my dog as well. Someone remarked to me that my dog seemed like the well behaved dog.

My dog and I have gone everyday and sometimes twice a day to the park and observeed. I noticed on the day after those dogs called him down and he was scared that upon his next attempt to smell a dog through the fence that he lifted his front paw. I understand this is a gesture of submission, so I feel he is learning that he can not expect to dominate all dogs over there. I think this is a good sign.

I guess you could say that he is in training at the dog zoo, he can look and smell but not get into the zoo with the other animals yet. Also on some days our park is packed with over 25 dogs and several of them pack together and seem aggressive to me.

Today I took him and two good dogs were playing so I let him loose in the adjoining yard and he ran back and forth with them although I sense that he is dying to get in with them. I feel badly and almost wanted to let him in there but I am not physically strong enough to help him should he or another dog be attacked.sometimes I feel this is more my issue than his, but I know that he senses my anxiety level.

What happens now is that I have a long leash that retracts, so I let him go free with that on (outside the fence) He runs up to the fence. He is getting better about greeting others, though some dogs do bark at him and do not seem to like him. I guess they sense that he is fearful or strange. Anyway, he runs up there and smells them face to face. Now sometimes when he now senses an aggresive dog, he will walk away from the fence and pretend that grass is interesting and go about smelling grass away from the fence as if he is not interested in the dogs. I think this is because he is showing them that he is not a threat.Does this sound right?

I think i will get the books suggested. Believe it or not I have had many dogs in the past, but somehow I am not able to understand his body language very well.

After today I did feel badly that my dog was not allowed to go in with the two nice dogs, I feel like he may have made it, but one of them was a large male, although on 1 1/2 years old, I felt that if only the female had been there he would have been fine. He did use to have a female in his life and she was very aggressive to him so I do know that if a female is aggressive to him he will just obey her for the most part. It's the males and smaller dogs that worry me. I really appreciate your suggestions and welcome any other comments about this.

Thanks very much!

Last edited by left; 05-16-2010 at 01:13 AM..

Unread 05-16-2010, 07:19 AM

3,379 posts, read 7,114,067 times
My limited experience with BC's is the stalk and eye for which they are bred often get them into a pile of trouble with other dogs. A stare is percieved as a direct challenge in the dog world.

Personally I am no advocae of dog parks, particularly for herding breeds and would just be training the dog to be dog - neutral. He can get all the play he needs with you and limit his interactions with ohter dogs to politely ignoring them. JMO.

Unread 05-16-2010, 06:32 PM

4,393 posts, read 5,120,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
My limited experience with BC's is the stalk and eye for which they are bred often get them into a pile of trouble with other dogs. A stare is percieved as a direct challenge in the dog world.

Personally I am no advocae of dog parks, particularly for herding breeds and would just be training the dog to be dog - neutral. He can get all the play he needs with you and limit his interactions with ohter dogs to politely ignoring them. JMO.
I have to agree here. We have a Aussie/Border Collie mix - and I think a bit of huskie too.

We just can't take her to the dog park. She wants to dominate and control all the dogs. We decided it just is not worth the risk putting her in that situation. It's hard enough walking her sometimes because she sets other dogs off without seemingly doing anything. I have learned while walking her to move off to the side and stop while other dogs pass.

I don't know if it's just her, or a combination between her personality and the breed. And it doesn't help that she has the happiest, sweetest face - so everyone assumes they can let their dog come up to her.

Unread 05-17-2010, 12:46 PM

7 posts, read 6,072 times
Dog parks are just an bad idea. Many dogs are there, that shouldn't be.
Find a trainer. Or look for a border collie club, they should be able to help you.

Unread 05-17-2010, 10:46 PM

well I'm getting a better handle on this. I guess it's dog to dog that matters. I have figured out the aggressive dogs at the park, and I know that my dog is aggressive towards some dogs, males that he feels he can pick on. I'm not as joyed about the experience as I was before. I feel that if I found a female that he could play with a couple times a week it would be fine.

I do notice that he and I are bonding better and he is learning how to check things out before charging into them.

Today he was really excited by a dog growl fight and really wanted to get in there that he started chewing on the fence hoping to join in. That makes me worry. What is he trying to do. Do dogs see fights and get excited because it's play or because its a free for all where he can take a few nips. It was like pack mentality. Scarey

Unread 05-18-2010, 12:08 AM

7 posts, read 6,072 times
Do you do any physical or mental exercise before you go ?

Unread 05-18-2010, 12:59 AM

16 posts, read 19,197 times
I have a 20 lb cairn terrier who is also leash aggressive. We have been going to a dog park about 3 mo, I am learning to read him Before he gets aggressive off of the leash. I can't take him in the park on a leash so I definately agree with that. The other thing I recently learned is keep a good treat in your pocket, and without showing the other dogs (be careful) get his attention when you want to leave so he will follow you out without the leash. Know when its time to go--that has nothing to do with my schedule and everything to do with how my dog is doing. If I see him getting aggressive pulling back his teeth, guarding his earthworms(YUK) I give him a whiff of the treat and we are walking to the gate. If I stay calm and assertive he is more likely to stay that way also, then we end on a positive note.

Unread 06-01-2010, 10:02 AM

yeah, treats for me are no good. He ignores food in the face of another dog being there. As far as exercise, it's a good idea. That is one issue I have to get better at. Since my last post I have taken him a few more times and found that he is getting more and more aggressive when afraid outside the gate. I think keeping him out of the park is frustrating to him. He began territorial foot scratching on the grass. In a huge way. Some dogs do it a little, he completely exaggerates that. I have stopped taking him there because of this. I think I need to work with him more in obedience first. If I felt I could control him to a degree I would be more willing to put him in. That territorial behaviour is only in the presence of large dogs that are aggressive towards him. It must be a fear response. He knows they can not get him through the fence. But If I could control him a bit and he trusted my alphaness more I think he would learn not to fear so much.

Unread 06-01-2010, 10:17 AM

418 posts, read 618,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Some dogs are just not meant for the dog park, that's just the way it is. Just because there is a dog park doesn't mean your dog should go. I, for one, am so sick and tired of people bringing aggressive dogs to an off-leash park with tons of dogs around because they want to socialize their dog! My dog is not going to be part of that experiment and he's been attacked more than once by these dogs. If your dog doesn't get along with other dogs and shows aggressive behavior around them, unclipping the leash is probably not the thing to do. Sorry, just a huge pet peeve of mine since in the last few weeks there have been horrific fights at my park because people wanted to socialize their aggressive dogs in a dog park setting. No common sense there!
I totally agree! My boxer is one of those dogs. We socialized the nub off the little guy. lol Dog parks, training, friends dogs, you name it. He did ok early on. But his aggression got worse as he got older, not better. I wasn't going to be one of "those" dog owners that causes all the fights at the park. His last straw was when he was about 8 months old and were at a dog event and he tried to attack a blind and deaf Great Dane. That wasnt going to fly with me so he was DONE. He is a people dog, not a dog dog. lol.
Its also a pet peeve of mine when I get this response from people, "You just need to socialize him more." I CAN'T. I HAVE. Its just how he was built. I am not going to endanger other people dogs for his socialzation. I'm sure it doesn't help he was taken away from his litter when he was only 5 weeks old so he missed out on being with his brothers and sisters. With a rescue you never can be sure what has happened to them before they came to you.
So my lab, who actually could care less about other dogs and doesnt even play with them just ignores them, goes to the dog park because she loves water. My boxer gets walks alone with mom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs