U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 12:01 PM

1,504 posts, read 1,840,545 times

Advertisements

I have a 3 month lab/mix puppy who we adopted 3 weeks ago. He was eating Science Diet plus had diarrhea due to a bacterial infection (so his poops were loose). Then we started to switch him to Innova large breed puppy, but at the same time he got an upper respiratory infection and his poops were randomly loose to firm, with loose more at the end.

We are done with the antibiotics (chloramphenical) as of yesterday. His poops are still loose. He is not the most thrilled with his food (we transitioned him to Innova over about 10 days), and leaves some both at breakfast and dinner (maybe 1/4 cup). We are feeding him according to the instructions on the bag (3 3/8 cups total per day, twice a day).

My questions are: should I stick with the Innova and wait it out, expecting the poops to improve and his appetite to get better? Do I take this as a sign that maybe this is not the food for him and I should try something similar, such as Holistic Select? Is it maybe the antibiotics that affected his stomach? He does the occasional chewing on his legs, but nothing dramatic that stands out.

We had a lab before who snarfed all of his food down, so this selective eating has me puzzled.

Vet mentioned the food might be a little too rich for him but did not seem overly concerned. She said we should consider switching him if the poops don't improve.

I am so confused

Last edited by chicagomichauds; 05-11-2010 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 12:26 PM

7,784 posts, read 9,158,184 times
loose or soft poops can be a result of the antibiotics.... maybe try giving him a little bit of plain yogurt that has the probiotics in it to get the flora and fauna in his gut back to normal.....

and who knows.... your pup may be eating his fill and not want anymore at that meal.... ... if so, good for him!! it is not uncommon for the directions on the bag to be for too much food for your dog's desired weight.... something i have learned the hard way.......

dave weighs 55 lbs now and doesn't really eat the amount recommended on the bag.... although it has been available to him... he is happy, healthy, energetic and has a beautiful shiny coat ..... and is VERY VERY lean and lanky......

bailey used to not overeat.... i could just free-feed her and she would eat what she needed and no more..... well, THAT stopped when we had another dog living in our house for 14 months (pre-dave) ..... and she began to eat WAY more than she should..... now, i am working on getting about 10 lbs off of her .... she lost most of it last spring and summer with a lot of exercise and me limiting her food.... then i injured my knee and exercise came to a screeching halt for a good long while.... so here we go again.....

Old 05-11-2010, 01:22 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,265,924 times
Perhaps the antibiotics are still working their magic on your pup's body. I would give it some time but don't take my word for it as I am not a vet, just a fur parent. Your little guy is eating and it seems to be healthy eating. My dog is going on 1 year old and when he was 4 or 5 months old, there was no food that could satisfy his pickiness. It was a struggle but now he's doing ok.

I second latetotheparty's post on the directions on the bag of dog food sometimes being a bit too much food for a pup.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:37 PM

29,990 posts, read 21,114,871 times
http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.as...yviewedproduct

The above should help better than yogurt for probiotics. Watch for dehydration and talk also consider an electrolyte replacement if the diarrhea continues.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 05-12-2010 at 09:47 PM.. Reason: link corrected

Old 05-13-2010, 01:58 AM

1,932 posts, read 7,477,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
I have a 3 month lab/mix puppy who we adopted 3 weeks ago. He was eating Science Diet plus had diarrhea due to a bacterial infection (so his poops were loose). Then we started to switch him to Innova large breed puppy, but at the same time he got an upper respiratory infection and his poops were randomly loose to firm, with loose more at the end.

We are done with the antibiotics (chloramphenical) as of yesterday. His poops are still loose. He is not the most thrilled with his food (we transitioned him to Innova over about 10 days), and leaves some both at breakfast and dinner (maybe 1/4 cup). We are feeding him according to the instructions on the bag (3 3/8 cups total per day, twice a day).

My questions are: should I stick with the Innova and wait it out, expecting the poops to improve and his appetite to get better? Do I take this as a sign that maybe this is not the food for him and I should try something similar, such as Holistic Select? Is it maybe the antibiotics that affected his stomach? He does the occasional chewing on his legs, but nothing dramatic that stands out.

We had a lab before who snarfed all of his food down, so this selective eating has me puzzled.

Vet mentioned the food might be a little too rich for him but did not seem overly concerned. She said we should consider switching him if the poops don't improve.

I am so confused
First, I have to say, it's great that you switched your pup from Science Diet to a good-quality food! As far as talking to your vet about the food, I personally wouldn't do that. I would go to the vet about anything that has to do with my dogs health, except food. Vets sell foods like Science Diet, that right there shows how little they know about dog nutrition. Vets take a class on nutrition that is normally taught by a dog food company, so they learn what that company wants them to learn. Anyway, I'm sure you know this, but just to show you, just in case, here are the first 5 ingredients in a Science Diet food, and then the first 5 ingredients in what you have your pup on now. You can see a huge difference in the ingredients...

Science Diet Puppy Large Breed:
Puppy Large Breed - Dry
Ground Whole Grain Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Liver Flavor, Dried Beet Pulp

Innova Large Breed Puppy:
Pet Products - Healthy Dog Food, Natural Cat Food, Gourmet Dog Biscuits – Innova Holistic Pet Food
Turkey, Chicken, Chicken Meal, Barley, Brown Rice

Things you do not want to see in a dog food would be any type of non-specific meats or any type of non-specific meat meals, lots of grains, any type of by-product, animal digest, nasty fillers like corn (which dogs can't even digest), wheat, soy, artificial colors and/or flavors, etc.

Anyway, so yeah, it's great that your pup is on a good-quality food! Just because it's good doesn't mean he will like it though. There are a few things you could do. 1 - Leave him on this food and just see if he gets use to it and starts to like it. 2 - Buy some Innova canned dog food, mix just a little of that, and a tiny bit of warm water in his Innova dry food and see if that helps. 3 - Switch him to a different good-quality food. Here are a couple of my FAVORITE dog foods!..

Canidae Grain Free All Life Stages (You can feed this to dogs of any age, puppy to adult, so you won't have to change his food as he grows. They have this same formula in canned food so you can buy a few cans to mix in with the dry food if needed):
CANIDAE® All Natural Holistic Dog Food - Grain Free All Life Stages dry formula
Chicken meal, turkey meal, lamb, potatoes, peas

Wellness Core Original (Also comes in canned so you can buy the same formula in cans to mix with the dry if needed):
Wellness® CORE® Original Recipe
Deboned Turkey, Deboned Chicken, Turkey Meal, Chicken Meal, Potatoes

Both of those are great foods, and they are grain free! So, if your pup is getting the soft stool from any food allergies, these foods could help with that!

Another thing you can do to help his stomach is buy some plain yogurt.. I like to get the Stonyfield Farm Organic Yogurt, French Vanilla flavor.. And mix some in with his food. Not too much, I normally just put a couple small spoon fulls and stir it around until all the food is lightly coated in yogurt. Another thing that I have been buying more recently instead of using the yogurt is.. Fresh Digest® - For Complete Digestive Health in Dogs and Cats I LOVE this stuff! It is GREAT and I would recommend you try that or the yogurt for sure! Those things really can help! I use the Fresh Digest every single day, but I will still give the pups some yogurt every now and then as a healthy treat! They LOVE the yogurt!

Now, all that said, as far as the amount of food you're feeding your pup.. What the bag says to feed is not exact. Every dog is different, so I just use the feeding chart on the bag as a starting point. In general, a good way to tell how your dogs weight is, is by his ribs. You should not be able to see his ribs, but when you pet him you should be able to feel them if you try. If you can see his ribs really well, he's under-weight. If you pet him and can't feel his ribs at all, he's at least a little over-weight. With a growing pup, this is more difficult though because obviously, you will need to keep an eye on him and up his amount of food whenever he needs it. I would suggest you start out feeding him what the bag says, then watch him. If he's looking a little over-weight, lower his food a bit, and if he's looking a little over-weight, up his food a bit. Once he is done growing, you'll be able to find a good amount for him and basically just keep him on that amount all the time (unless he is more active/less active during certain times of the year, or something like that, then his amount of food would need to be adjusted some I'm sure).

Oh, also, there are a few things you can do to help him to eat his food. This may sound mean, but it really isn't. I do this and it really works. I have to first say, no dog will starve themselves.. They just won't. They may try to for a while, just to try and get something better, like people food, but that will only last so long before they will learn to eat their food. I feed my dogs at the same time every morning and at the same time every afternoon, and I also have set amounts that I feed them at each meal. I will fix the food, put it down and let them eat. They are always done within a couple minutes, but whether they were to eat all the food or not, the bowls would get picked up after 30 minutes, tops. I'd suggest you get your dogs food all fixed up, then put it down for him to eat. Just ignore him and let him eat, but watch the time. After 30 minutes, even if there's still food in the bowl, take the bowl up. Then, next meal, do the same thing. If he doesn't finish his food each time, he will start to learn that he has to eat all he wants in those 30 minutes during each meal. This will teach him to eat the correct amount of food at the right times, and he will be healthier and happier because of it!

Okay, that's all I've got! lol!.. I do want to say though, I don't think you should worry too much. As long as the vet says he's okay, and as long as he is eating something, I would just try to give him some time. If he gets worse, like if he gets more sick, I would suggest getting him to the vet asap. But if his only real problems are soft stool and not finishing all his food, I wouldn't worry too much right now. Just keep a close eye on him until things get better. This could very well just be from the meds he was on, or it could be food allergies, it could be he is still adjusting to the new food, or it could just be that he is picky (our Brooklyn was the most picky dog on the planet! lol! That was just him though). Hopefully he will get better soon regardless. I really hope this helps, or you at least find something that does! Good luck!

Old 05-13-2010, 07:22 AM

24,548 posts, read 14,988,859 times
I usually give it a full month whenever I had switched food. They are on a permanent food now and are fine, but I have switched it before and what a mess. After a few weeks things were fine.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:23 AM

778 posts, read 1,016,095 times
I think there's been too much going on to pinpoint the loose stools to any one culprit.

Antibiotics do cause loose stool, especially if the dog was not on probiotics during the course of treatment. The antibiotic is probably still in his system too. Hopefully, the bacterial infection is gone, but of course it's also possible one round or this particular antibiotic did not knock it out. Time will tell.

Innova is a very rich food and does cause these issues with "some" dogs. You may have to back off it a bit to another high quality grain free food with lower protein.

It's also my opinion that the amounts to feed listed on bagged food are way too high. You should be able to feel a thin layer of fat over his ribs, but feel the ribs easily. If they're not defined at all, he's probably a little too chunky. Overfeeding will also cause loose poop.

I'd adopt a wait and see approach, perhaps cutting down the volume of food. The pup seems to be telling you the amount is too much. Maybe you're lucky with a dog that self regulates.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:34 AM

8,277 posts, read 17,278,654 times
Switching foods can also cause problems.... Stick to what you are giving him!! Give his system a break!

Old 05-13-2010, 09:06 AM

1,504 posts, read 1,840,545 times
Thanks for everyone's replies! Of course my update is that my puppy (Jett) wound up developing diarrhea. As of this morning that seems to be solidifying again to "soft serve". I called the vet right away when it happened (2 days ago), and he mentioned it could also be dirt or squirrel poop that he is eating. Mentioned a bland diet, 1/2 immodium for one day and then if it did not improve to call them back.

He does eat dirt when we are out in the yard unfortunately, so we are monitoring carefully the areas he's around in our yard and fixing the dirt issue.

I called the vet again today just to get an idea of his bland food (chicken, rice, pumpkin) and when to start him back on his regular dog food (Innova, b/c essentially that's his regular one now). So we'll stick with bland diet for next 3 days and slowly add back the Innova. At the first sign of return diarrhea I'll bring him back in.

I'm hoping a lot of this is puppy stomach adjusting to food and possibly due to his eating poops and dirt that he shouldn't. I will continue with the Innova at least till early June when we go back to the vet for more shots and go from there.

(He's sleeping at my feet while I work So cute!)

Old 05-13-2010, 10:53 AM

7,784 posts, read 9,158,184 times
he's had a LOT going on in his little life over the last 3 weeks.... dave had a few tummy issues the first couple of weeks he was home with us and he was already 10 months old when he joined our family...... may just be too much excitement too.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs