U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 11:09 AM

5,043 posts, read 8,483,049 times

Advertisements

I guess she's not as much of a dog expert as people give her credit for. She has lost all respect on another dog forum I'm on and people will stop posting her books as recs. She wrote so many books on dog behavior, but didn't take her own advice. What a hypocrite! She got the puppy on Saturday, and returned it a day later, one day! Well exchanged it for a new one. BYB flag, since no reputable breeder has puppies just waiting for homes! I've never been a fan of her, and I'm so glad I never supported her!

One Pup, Next Pup » TheOtherEndOfTheLeash

Old 05-12-2010, 11:14 AM

1,928 posts, read 2,122,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I guess she's not as much of a dog expert as people give her credit for. She has lost all respect on another dog forum I'm on and people will stop posting her books as recs. She wrote so many books on dog behavior, but didn't take her own advice. What a hypocrite! She got the puppy on Saturday, and returned it a day later, one day! Well exchanged it for a new one. BYB flag, since no reputable breeder has puppies just waiting for homes! I've never been a fan of her, and I'm so glad I never supported her!

Amen to that! What a ................ Dog's better off someplace else!

Old 05-12-2010, 11:19 AM

Here's what really gets me. She's not a "regular" person, she is a very well-known and (up to this point) a very well-respected dog behaviorist. But, that blog entry makes her sound like a total ditz. Especially this part:

"He was very sweet, settled instantly when I rolled him over, brought back the paper the 2nd time I threw it, but clearly much more cautious about the world than Mick. And oh yeah, okay, full disclosure: he just didn’t catch my eye. Okay, that’s not honest enough. I just thought he was sort of plain looking. Okay, still fudging the truth here. I said to Jim “That puppy is just too darn ugly to take home.” May I someday be forgiven."

Seriously?

Old 05-12-2010, 11:32 AM

14,175 posts, read 7,364,459 times
Quote:

Sounds like it was just a bad fit, particularly with her older dog. Better to return him quickly before everyone is attached. I really don't get the animosity. Sounds like a very professional response for all concerned.

From the link:

" Oh heck, no one can say for sure, but it raised the odds that this might not be a dog who is totally mellow and bomb-proof around other dogs. And, most importantly, who wouldn’t bully Will when he gets older. "

And about the new one (the one she originally thought wasn't cute enough):

"The pup ran straight to Will, Will play bowed, and they began to race around the yard together. My heart did that thing in which it seems to double in size in your chest, my eyes got extra wet, and I picked up the pup and drove him home. "

Old 05-12-2010, 11:33 AM

14,175 posts, read 7,364,459 times
Quote:
Here's what really gets me. She's not a "regular" person, she is a very well-known and (up to this point) a very well-respected dog behaviorist. But, that blog entry makes her sound like a total ditz. Especially this part:

"He was very sweet, settled instantly when I rolled him over, brought back the paper the 2nd time I threw it, but clearly much more cautious about the world than Mick. And oh yeah, okay, full disclosure: he just didn’t catch my eye. Okay, that’s not honest enough. I just thought he was sort of plain looking. Okay, still fudging the truth here. I said to Jim “That puppy is just too darn ugly to take home.” May I someday be forgiven."

Seriously?
There are ugly puppies, just like there are ugly babies.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:35 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,254,203 times
I can totally see how she might not be able to be objective for finding the right dog for her family. It's so much easier to be objective when it comes to analyzing other folks situations with their pets but brain turns into total gravy/mush when it comes to their own pets.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:38 AM

I do understand that she wants a dog that will fit in with her other dog esp given his history of dog aggression, but seems like she didn't do enough research. She should've had her dog meet the potential puppy before bringing it home. She and the breeder should've seen that the puppy was more dominant personality and not the right fit for her home...

I see no problem w/ trial periods to see if the dogs will get along. But I do have a problem with her picking a cute puppy- giving it a day or two to fit in, then returning it and blogging about it. She really didn't take any responsibility or admit that she was unrealistic and wanted a dog for all the wrong reasons. She shouldn't get a dog for her other dog. She also seemed to have decided to get a dog on an impulse.

And I do fault the breeder. A big part of a responsible breeder's job is knowing the pup's personalities, knowing your puppy homes, and making the right placement. I don't understand how a knowledgeable dog person and a reputable breeder end up choosing a dominant, pushy male, using temperament tests, when a submissive male was wanted. And I'm baffled why Will wasn't included in the tests or at least a similar adult male dog not related, to see how the pup interacted.

I'm just really disappointed. I think it makes her look bad and diminishes her reputation, and I think its a bad example for others. Let's hope she doesn't return the replacement puppy because it's too shy...

Old 05-12-2010, 11:43 AM

1,928 posts, read 2,122,370 times
It still is bothersome though. Unless she knows way more than we know, how can just one day tell you the future? If I would have kept Charlie only one day because he didn't fit in right away with the other dog and cat, I would have lost out on a wonderful dog and they wouldn't have their annoying brother around.

But she's the expert. And we all know how important cute is.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:52 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,254,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
And we all know how important cute is.
We have to look at the cute bugger, day after day after day.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,123 times
MAK802, thanks for the laugh. She didn't do enough research - that's PRICELESS! Bwah ha ha ha! HA!

Hopefully people will follow that link, make their own evaluation, and then go on to read the rest of the enlightening, honest, and educational entries from McConnell. Including all of the recent lengthy discussions about how best to ensure dogs go to homes where they match well so that they land in lifelong homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs