U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-12-2010, 01:19 PM

795 posts, read 1,310,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I'm not sure about females, but I had my male neutered at 8 months, pretty much the second he started humping and lifting his leg to pee. That took care of those issues within a few weeks! I'm assuming females should be done before first heat, but I admit I don't even know when that occurs!

There is stuff you can give your dog that softens the blow of the vaccines, especially the rabies. I cannot for the life of me remember it, but I will email my friend, who's a rescue coordinator and gives this to all their dogs. She's into limited vaccines, but cannot do that in a rescue, so this is the next best thing. I know you can buy it at places where vitamins are sold.
Maybe with males, it can be later to neuter? I remember with my Fred, our crazy cat, I couldn't wait to neuter him and was hoping they could do it before 6 months but they told me it had to be 6 months. Oh well...Nothing changed anyway once we neutered him. He didn't calm down one bit.

I'm glad to hear once you neutered your dog, he stopped peeing in your house and humping! My SIL has a dog and had him neutered and he loves to hump a certain stuffed animal. I'm suprised he still does that.

Yes, if you speak with your friend who is a rescue, please let me know what the name of the stuff is that you are referring too in regard to the rabies vaccination. Thanks so much!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 01:27 PM

1,688 posts, read 3,517,187 times
Received wisdom is that spaying before any female dog's first heat reduces the chances of her developing mammary cancer down to zero + having it done before she's ever become sexually receptive also reduces the chances of unwanted/unplanned pups down to zero. But there's no hard and fast rule as to when exactly.

Again, I'd not vaccinate together with the spay. Let her cope with one thing at a time. All dogs react differently to anesthetic and if she's sick/unwell from the anesthetic you won't be able to know what's causing her "unwellness" if she's been vax'd at the same time. Best keep things simple or you'll be calling the vet again.

5,058 posts, read 7,736,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIgirl74 View Post
Maybe with males, it can be later to neuter? I remember with my Fred, our crazy cat, I couldn't wait to neuter him and was hoping they could do it before 6 months but they told me it had to be 6 months. Oh well...Nothing changed anyway once we neutered him. He didn't calm down one bit.

I'm glad to hear once you neutered your dog, he stopped peeing in your house and humping! My SIL has a dog and had him neutered and he loves to hump a certain stuffed animal. I'm suprised he still does that.

Yes, if you speak with your friend who is a rescue, please let me know what the name of the stuff is that you are referring too in regard to the rabies vaccination. Thanks so much!
Oh, he didn't pee in the house! He lifted his leg outside. Before that, he would squat like a little girl! The vet said that as soon as we see him lifting his leg and not squatting, to make the appt to neuter. That happened around 8 months. He still lifts his leg, but never got into the habit of marking every single piece of grass on our walk, presumably because he was neutered early.

I just emailed her, so I'm awaiting a response. I'll let you know as soon as I hear from her!

7,571 posts, read 8,103,523 times
bailey had a bit of reaction to her last set of puppy shots, so gets benedryl when she goes in for her shots now ....

Old 05-12-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Oh, he didn't pee in the house! He lifted his leg outside. Before that, he would squat like a little girl! The vet said that as soon as we see him lifting his leg and not squatting, to make the appt to neuter. That happened around 8 months. He still lifts his leg, but never got into the habit of marking every single piece of grass on our walk, presumably because he was neutered early.

I just emailed her, so I'm awaiting a response. I'll let you know as soon as I hear from her!
Oh, sorry that I misunderstood that. I had no idea that the male puppies pee like a female when they are young. I never owned a male dog. That's interesting that they lift their leg when it's time to get them neutered. I'm glad to hear he never got into the habit of marking.

Thanks again!

Old 05-12-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
bailey had a bit of reaction to her last set of puppy shots, so gets benedryl when she goes in for her shots now ....
I never even thought to give Benadryl to a pup or dog. I know I used to give it to my cat when he was younger b/c he caused so many sleepless nights with his craziness. After the first time, it didn't work anymore b/c he overcame it somehow.

Thanks for sharing with me that a puppy is able to take Benadryl if I see anything happening with the vaccinations.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
Received wisdom is that spaying before any female dog's first heat reduces the chances of her developing mammary cancer down to zero + having it done before she's ever become sexually receptive also reduces the chances of unwanted/unplanned pups down to zero. But there's no hard and fast rule as to when exactly.

Again, I'd not vaccinate together with the spay. Let her cope with one thing at a time. All dogs react differently to anesthetic and if she's sick/unwell from the anesthetic you won't be able to know what's causing her "unwellness" if she's been vax'd at the same time. Best keep things simple or you'll be calling the vet again.
Hmm..I wonder if the vet would let us spay first and then get the vaccinations. I'll have to speak to them about that. I'm going to say probably not b/c I know she will have to spend the night for the spay and I know in the past when I've had to leave my cats overnight, they had to be up to date with their shots.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:41 PM

5,101 posts, read 7,933,119 times
My first thought was of course your 12 week old puppy chased your cat - it's never been told not to. At 12 weeks it means no harm so I'm really concerned that it was returned. But moving on.....

Every single dog we take in with no proof of vaccinations is vacc'd again, period. I've seen puppies die of parvo over night and had to have other euth'd because their chances of surviving it were so slim. I'd much rather hit them with another vacc.

Any puppy under four months with no vacc proof is vacc'd three times, each spread apart 3 weeks. 4 months to a year gets 2 vaccs spread apart 3 weeks. Over a year gets a single vaccination per year.

For people in areas with little parvo outbreaks or little spread of disease or bringing in a pet that's got little chance of it picking up anything, I guess you can go the titers testing and hope and pray route. I also know a lot of dogs are sensitive to vaccines and that many people prefer the holisitic approach. That's fine, it's their choice. But we'd rather be safe than sorry, and I tend to be over cautious anyway. I'd rather they have an allergic reaction than die of a disease that could have been prevented.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:13 PM

7,571 posts, read 8,103,523 times
Quote:
Oh, sorry that I misunderstood that. I had no idea that the male puppies pee like a female when they are young. I never owned a male dog. That's interesting that they lift their leg when it's time to get them neutered. I'm glad to hear he never got into the habit of marking.

Thanks again!
dave and his siblings were turned into the shelter with their mother when the pups were 1 day old..... so, he was neutered at 8 weeks.... .... a bit early, even by my book.... but what's done is done..... as a result, at 18 months, he still sort of squats to pee .... doesn't go into a full squat, just does sort of a legs spread stance.... has never lifted his leg or marked a single thing ..... bailey does more marking than he does..... the only time he pees is when his bladder is full.....

Quote:
I never even thought to give Benadryl to a pup or dog. I know I used to give it to my cat when he was younger b/c he caused so many sleepless nights with his craziness. After the first time, it didn't work anymore b/c he overcame it somehow.

Thanks for sharing with me that a puppy is able to take Benadryl if I see anything happening with the vaccinations.
supposed to be 1 mg per lb of dog, i think ..... i give bailey and dave about 1/3 to 1/2 that when they get allergy eyes.... works just fine and they are not zonked out.....

the main thing to remember is to make sure it is benedryl ONLY.... none of those cold or sinus formulas that combine acetomeniphan (sp??) ... (dang, i can NEVER spell that word.... .... ) and cough medicine and whatever else they put in those cold medicines......

Old 05-12-2010, 05:19 PM

29,990 posts, read 18,727,614 times
Remember: Labs are 1/2 dog x 1/2 goat. You'll need to be certain the kitty litter box(s) are inaccessible lest the lab pup discover the "treats" inside. Trust me when I tell you that is not the good kind of puppy breath when he comes to kiss you.

I agree with the previous posters about re-vaccination if no proof and no titer can prove otherwise. Good luck, hope it all works out for you on the adoption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs