Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2010, 03:53 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times

Advertisements

So I was driving down the street today & saw a couple selling pit bull puppies out of the back of their truck...a whole basket full of them. It's HOT here today, and besides that...how do these people know what kind of people they're selling their pups to? For all they know, they could be going to people who plan to fight them or stick them in the yard 24/7 as "guard dogs"...made me so upset!!! I almost stopped and yelled at them, but then I thought...no, I'm going to keep my mouth shut and not give them any "warning"...(well, besides the middle finger...) I rushed home and called the police, who assured me they would get a unit over there ASAP...hopefully they follow through and these BYBs get fined for solicitation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 05:14 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
So I was driving down the street today & saw a couple selling pit bull puppies out of the back of their truck...a whole basket full of them. It's HOT here today, and besides that...how do these people know what kind of people they're selling their pups to? For all they know, they could be going to people who plan to fight them or stick them in the yard 24/7 as "guard dogs"...made me so upset!!! I almost stopped and yelled at them, but then I thought...no, I'm going to keep my mouth shut and not give them any "warning"...(well, besides the middle finger...) I rushed home and called the police, who assured me they would get a unit over there ASAP...hopefully they follow through and these BYBs get fined for solicitation!
Some people are desperate for money in these times. Dog breeding is a quick & easy way to get some cash. Not everyone treats dogs as family members. For some they are nothing more than livestock. As much as t saddens me the way they were being sold, at least they were being sold and not dumped or drown. It could always be worse.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:22 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
I hope they do something. Most towns don't allow people to sell 'road side' but few areas have the man power to actually do anything about it.

The 'breeders' and I use that term in the loosest possible way, could care less about what happens to those puppies once they're out of their care. It's all about the money. And the over population problem continues.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:35 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,147 times
Actually OP, check with your county offices. It's certainly illegal to sell any live animals roadside/in a parking lot in one or two TX counties that I know of - there could well be an ordinance about it.

Make sure to take down the tag number while flipping the bird too.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:40 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
Actually OP, check with your county offices. It's certainly illegal to sell any live animals roadside/in a parking lot in one or two TX counties that I know of - there could well be an ordinance about it.

Make sure to take down the tag number while flipping the bird too.
Never know, might expose a dog fighting ring!

Old 05-12-2010, 05:41 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,539,604 times
I see this crap in Dallas all of the time, makes me SO angry!

Old 05-12-2010, 07:38 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times
I'm pretty sure it's illegal, especially because they were posted in a commercial lot (Domino's Pizza), so unless they have a license to be a vendor they have no legal right to be selling anything there. The officer I spoke to assured me that a unit would be sent, she seemed genuinely concerned...we can only hope for the best, I suppose...hopefully they were still there when the police arrived. This happens a lot at the flea markets out here too, only it's mostly people on-foot with chihuahuas in cardboard boxes...they keep on the move because they know they're not supposed to be doing that and I doubt they paid the fee to be selling there (usually $20) or the fee to obtain a vending license ($80/year the last time I checked). Even so, licenses are limited to certain items, and food and living creatures are not included, you need a special license for those things and I imagine it's a lot more expensive because of liability. It saddens me that so many people in this world view animals as "property" instead of living creatures with feelings who deserve to have rights.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:07 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
Quote:
It saddens me that so many people in this world view animals as "property" instead of living creatures with feelings who deserve to have rights.
Amen to that. I pray we see the day that the attitude changes. I'd love to be put 'out of business'.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:04 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Most of the ppl I see around here are giving away puppies in the WalMart parking lot. I get so upset because I know they won't be taken care of or be spayed/neutered so that is just more dogs that will eventually end up at the animal shelter.

I wish I knew how to change the mindset around here. I hear this 'You let dogs in your house?' from more than a few ppl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs