Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 03:40 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,469,825 times

Advertisements

I started our 8 1/2 year old Dobie recently on Dr. Foster-Smith Joint care 2. She was showing signs of arthritis in her left hip. After 2 weeks she seems to be doing better. Before she would get gimpy after playing fetch but now seems ok.
Its only been 2 weeks though so time will tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 09:53 AM

11 posts, read 52,914 times
Hi Mekia. I have a 14 year old dog who doesn't have hip dysplasia but his hips are on the way out due to his big size and age (he's a german shepherd/malamute mix). I know it's not the same diagnosis but the old age and the hip problems we have in common. I recently got him an Ortocanis dog hip brace - Ortocanis Hip Brace for Dogs with Dysplasia - and it's done wonders for the both of us. Says on the website it's intended for dogs with hip dysplasia. Seems like a non-invasive method you could try that wouldn't include any side effects.. never hurts to try different things!

Old 12-02-2016, 02:16 PM

3 posts, read 3,357 times
Default 12 y/o Lab - super active for first 10 years, hip dysplasia at 12 y/o

After reading all of the entries to this thread, I figured I would add myself to the forum and share my story.

My 12 year old Labrador Retriever has had a very active life. Of course in the last 2 years she has slowed down a bit, but still manages to keep up with her male companion 4 years her junior.

One month ago, I noticed that she is favoring her right leg after some exercise. This was the start of it. She began exhibiting classic hip dysplasia traits and needing to abstain from activity all together. Soon I would start giving her tramadol that I had laying around in some of my dog meds from other events. This knocked her out, but gave her relief.

Vet visit yesterday reassured me that perhaps I can help the situation much more. We started Remadyl immediately and saw great improvement. Tramadol will be only if needed. I'm doubling up on her Synovi g4 chewable supplements and making sure she gets plenty of fish oil in her two daily meals (via OTC oil supplements). I may start looking for the vet supplies like listed in this thread once my dog starts making some improvement. The vet already told me that she is going to start looking for the Previcox (anti-inflammatory/pain med) to replace the Remadyl, since Remadyl has a reputation for causing other issues in our dogs.

Bottom line: Start the treatment now and hopefully the quality of life will be good for her final years of her life. I'm not oblivious. My girl had 2 litters (19 pups!) and used the heck out of her body, so it's only a matter of time till she gives out, but I'd like to have her live out her last years without too much pain.

Thanks to everyone that has contributed to this page. I found it very helpful when I was researching what I could do for my dog.

Good luck to everyone before and after this message.

BigEars in Vancouver, WA

Old 12-02-2016, 04:20 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
Since this old thread has been bumped, I'll mention when I was at the vet last week, he mentioned platelet rich plasma therapy for my dog's arthritis. It doesn't sound like the first thing you try but if nothing else is working and your budget permits, it's worth considering IMO.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:11 AM

Thumbs up 12 y/o Lab w/ hip displaysia - after 1 month of treatment

After work yesterday, my old girl actually was playing and jogging around the yard with the other lab with no visible limping or bunny-hopping!

While she is still very careful about how much impact she has on her hind legs, mobility and function seem to be restored to a workable lifestyle for her.

This report is after one full month of consistent treatment of 2 Rimadyl per day, 1-2 oz. of omega 3 and 6 FA oils on each morn & evening meal, as well as (4) Synovi G4 chewable supplements daily.

We will continue to use these supplements and keep her exercising gently on those back legs to minimize the atrophy that can occur.

Thanks again everyone.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,020 times
Hi ... My dog is 7.5 years old and suffers from severe hip dysplasia and cant even stand on his back legs ... He dragg them if i help him to walk ... Can anyone tell me simple list of drugs that are effective please

Old 04-07-2017, 01:12 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,276,853 times
Have you taken your dog to the vet? Was it confirmed to be hip displasia or something else? If he can't even stand, it may be a neurological problem as well as joint issues. He may need spine surgery to fix that. Please do not use any medicine, over the counter or bought online, without your vet's guidance.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:27 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmedahmed View Post
Hi ... My dog is 7.5 years old and suffers from severe hip dysplasia and cant even stand on his back legs ... He dragg them if i help him to walk ... Can anyone tell me simple list of drugs that are effective please
Take the dog to the vet ASAP. This may not be hip dysplasia at all. It sounds like it may be the result of a spinal injury or degenerative myelopathy.

You need to see a vet now. It may be able to be reversed if it hasn't been going on for long and it's due to an injury. Your dog may be in pain and need something for that too. If it's degenerative myelopathy there isn't a way to fix it. Only a vet can tell what the appropriate course of action is after your dog is examined. This is not something that you should try to fix on your own.

Please get your poor dog medical help now so he's not suffering.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEars View Post
After work yesterday, my old girl actually was playing and jogging around the yard with the other lab with no visible limping or bunny-hopping!

While she is still very careful about how much impact she has on her hind legs, mobility and function seem to be restored to a workable lifestyle for her.

This report is after one full month of consistent treatment of 2 Rimadyl per day, 1-2 oz. of omega 3 and 6 FA oils on each morn & evening meal, as well as (4) Synovi G4 chewable supplements daily.

We will continue to use these supplements and keep her exercising gently on those back legs to minimize the atrophy that can occur.

Thanks again everyone.
Update:
3+ months after this last entry, my Yellow Lab, NILLA is doing great. We've backed off the Rimadyl (actually we are giving her generic brand from online veterinary med supply company), and kept going on the (4) Synovi G4's per day as well as the 1-2 oz of oils. I'm buying the Synovi and oil online. It's cheaper.

She's getting older, and is still rather fragile, but all this is helping. I forgot to mention that we also have her on one 20 or 40 mg pepsid (antacid med) to combat the stomach discomfort from the generic Rimadyl drug. Pretty standard is what the vet told me.

Very happy with the results and hope others see this post and learn that it can be mediated and your dog can still live a healthy and fulfilling life after something like this crops up.

Old 03-18-2019, 08:28 AM

1 posts, read 604 times
was searching for info. on fho for older (11) very large shepherd mix. this has been very helpful. i was inclined to treat rather than go for the surgery option and the info here has supported my choice. thanks so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs