Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 03:12 AM

144 posts, read 597,109 times

Advertisements

Hi, Im looking for other peoples experiences with older dogs 10+ years and hip dysplasia treatments. I would like to hear your opinions.

I have a 12.5yr old German Shepard/Chow mix, who has severe hip dysplasia in the left leg, with muscle atrophy, and also moderate degenerative joint disease in the right hip. He is not fat at 65# but if surgery is possible I might try to get him to lose 5-10lbs more. He has a very hard time getting up and down stairs and even laying down. The 1st vet suggested Femoral Head Osteotomy (FHO) and the 2nd vet opinion suggested conservative methods, rimadyl and tramadol to alleviate pain and only go to surgery if the pain is not controlled in 4-6-weeks. I am going to get a 3rd vets opinion tomorrow but I also wanted to hear from people who have been in a similar situation.

So far reasoning behind medication only seems sound, we do FHO on the worst leg (left) but then all his weight is put on the right leg, possibly hastening degeneration of that joint, and at 12.5 yrs anesthesia is risky. But I can't seem to wrap my mind around if we get rid of the pain but the joints are still degenerating, eventually he will be a crippled/non-walking dog even if he is not in pain, vs. if he had surgery and recovered well he would be pain free and walking. Of course at 12.5 yrs he might not live another 5 years and keeping him pain free w/out surgery in the time he has left is doable especially if he passes before he becomes unable to walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 07:49 AM

5,009 posts, read 10,684,206 times
I agree with the second vet. A conservative approach--especially wrt older dogs who may react poorly to major surgery and anesthesia--is very wise.

My dog (9 yr-old GSD) was just diagnosed with severe arthritis in her front elbow. She has a constant limp and stairs are also very difficult for her b/c of her arthritis. I know that it isn't the same as hip dyplasia. But her veterinarian has always suggested a conservative approach to all medical issues that has worked out very well for us.

I am not a fan of surgery, especially for older dogs, as they are not as resilient as younger dogs. The scenario in which your pup has a successful surgery, fully recovers and lives five more years is an ideal; it may be attainable but there are also other outcomes and risks of surgery.

That said, I think that pain management may be your best option. Even though she now has a permanent limp and is obviously still in some pain (meds manage pain but can't make it completely disappear), my GSD is very happy and energetic, which I wouldn't risk for anything.

BTW, there are so many products (in addition to meds) on the market that can make your dog more comfortable:

- Dog Beds, Dog Harnesses & Collars, Dog Clothes & Gifts for Dog Lovers | In The Company of Dogs

Re: the degeneration and muscle atrophy: have you talked to your vets about hydrotherapy as a possibility?

Best of luck to you both. These decisions are always so difficult but kudos to you for getting the second (and third) opinions as well as doing your research. It is very obvious that you love your dog and will do everything you can to make sure that you make the right decision regarding his health.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:13 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Only you know if t is worth the risk and if your senior will have a significantl better quality of life with surgery than without. At 12.5 with a large breed I'd think it better to treat conservatively than to risk the life or complications of surgery. Of course, only you can make that judgement. So, pretty much what Starla Jane wrote.

Good luck to you and your senior with hip dysplasia. Are you giving dietary joint supplements? Fish oil?

Old 05-14-2010, 07:54 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
At that age I would avoid the surgery and double up on anti-inflammatories, not worrying about long term damage.

Hydrotherapy and range of motion are both good. What about adequan too, chiropractic?

If you can't get to a water treadmill the vet PT [I took my dog there for eval and some hydrotherapy] is walking in chest high water. Swimming can cause too much over-extension and stress but water walking is best....I would think the warm water in the underwater treadmill would be very comforting though.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:36 AM

5,009 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
At that age I would avoid the surgery and double up on anti-inflammatories, not worrying about long term damage.

Hydrotherapy and range of motion are both good. What about adequan too, chiropractic?

If you can't get to a water treadmill the vet PT [I took my dog there for eval and some hydrotherapy] is walking in chest high water. Swimming can cause too much over-extension and stress but water walking is best....I would think the warm water in the underwater treadmill would be very comforting though.
My dog LOVES this. It is one of the best activities for dogs who are joint-challenged.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:36 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,267,326 times
We have always had large breeds...Rotts & Bloodhound.
At that age...no doubt...pain meds all the way.
Surgery to me at that age.... would just be cha-ching in the vets pocket.
We have a female Rotty now on Etolac... she takes a 1/2, 500 mg. pill twice a day.
There is a HUGE difference if she doesn't get her meds.
Since she's been on her meds twice a day.... she even acts like a puppy again, wanting to play with the tennis balls.
She is almost 9 years old.
All our babies are rescues, so we know nothing about the prior life thet had before we rescued them.
I would say a LOT if not most is bad breeding.

Pain pills and LOTS of LOVE would be the way I would go if I were you.
Best to you & your boy.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:26 AM

Thanks for your input!! I spoke with a professor of mine the other day and he backed the med only route, except like so many other people he was against the rimadyl. My big boy had great bloodwork and his liver is good, so I am going to let him finish the rimadyl he's already taking but also start him on tramadol and see how he does after the rimadyl is stopped. My prof explained that it took 12 years for his joints to get that way and so another several years (life expectancy at best) is not going to see a marked increase in the rate of joint degeneration and surgery has a big risk of failing even if anesthesia is not a problem. Also we got slightly off topic discussing our own terrible joint problems and my prof suggested Trigosamine. He said he takes it his self and it helps. He said it is fine for dogs, it containes hi doses of glucosamine, chondroitin, and hyaluronic acid. You can get this from any pharmacy. Hyaluronic acid is key as it adds lubrication to the joint.

Also just FYI for others who come searching on this topic, there are dog formulations made specifically with those 3 ingredients but they are 3x the price compared to the human supplements. The only problem that i have found is that while the dog versions are flavored the human versions have that terrible vitamin taste to them and the higher the dosage, double strength, and triple/max strength are literally the size of horse pills. So currently I'm contemplating giving regular dose pills and just giving multiple pills to get to the triple strength dose or looking into the horse joint powdered supplements and just decrease the amt given.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:17 PM

268 posts, read 703,822 times
Give fish oil, itll help. I personally would not put an old dog through surgery/recovery....too many risks. Good Luck !

Old 05-16-2010, 09:30 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
Horse products are the biggest bang for your buck for glucosamine supplements - This one in particular is good and affordable

Joint Care Supplements - Cox Veterinary Labs Acti-Flex 4000 Liquid Gallon Size

The above product has a formulation similar to glycoflex iii, a widely acclaimed dog supplement. Actiflex also makes a dog supplement but it is a dilution of the horse product so ........why throw away the money. Just about any horse product [like this one] will contain hyaluranic acid.

The anti-inflammatory I give when needed is Dermaxx, not Rimadyl. It is still a doggie NSAID but not as rough on the liver.....

Ditto on the fish oil suggestion, I like Natures Bounty Double strenght assayed and treated to remove mercury- I am sure there are better ones but it seems to be a decent value.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Horse products are the biggest bang for your buck for glucosamine supplements - This one in particular is good and affordable

Joint Care Supplements - Cox Veterinary Labs Acti-Flex 4000 Liquid Gallon Size

The above product has a formulation similar to glycoflex iii, a widely acclaimed dog supplement. Actiflex also makes a dog supplement but it is a dilution of the horse product so ........why throw away the money. Just about any horse product [like this one] will contain hyaluranic acid.

The anti-inflammatory I give when needed is Dermaxx, not Rimadyl. It is still a doggie NSAID but not as rough on the liver.....

Ditto on the fish oil suggestion, I like Natures Bounty Double strenght assayed and treated to remove mercury- I am sure there are better ones but it seems to be a decent value.
Thanks for the link, does this have a smell to it? I'm wondering if it will have a hay flavor good for horses but not so good for dogs? I heard that the cosequine horse powder is supposed to be flavorless.?.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs