U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 01:27 PM

584 posts, read 1,762,516 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had problems owning a house with stairs and your dog? I currently don't have any stairs in my house, but am considering moving and some of the houses I am looking at either have a basement or two stories with lots of stairs. My question is, do dogs have problems going up and down stair cases? Or no problems? I don't want my dog to hate the new house and my dog goes everywhere I go. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 08:59 PM

293 posts, read 887,937 times
We only buy one story homes now. Our little poodle used to run up and down the stairs and her knee had problems and she needed surgery. She had the surgery and did fine, but after that, we never had stairs again. That was years ago.

I have a little Shih Tzu now. Her legs are short and she doesn't want to walk up any stairs at my mother-in-law. Some dogs do fine with stairs, depends on the each dog.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:25 PM

3,593 posts, read 10,675,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmv90 View Post
Has anyone had problems owning a house with stairs and your dog? I currently don't have any stairs in my house, but am considering moving and some of the houses I am looking at either have a basement or two stories with lots of stairs. My question is, do dogs have problems going up and down stair cases? Or no problems? I don't want my dog to hate the new house and my dog goes everywhere I go. Thanks.
It would depend a lot on the age of your dog and on how much he/she weighs. Older dogs can have trouble with stairs and obviously how much they weigh will impact your ability to carry them up and down if needed

Once our Bandit got to be 12 y/o he had a lot of trouble going down stairs but was still able to climb them. He stumbled once going down and I was lucky enough to have caught him before he fell down the whole flight. I was always afraid to let him upstairs after that. He snuck upstairs behind me once and I had to carry him down (all 80 lbs of him) Luckily, the master bedroom in our house is on the 1st floor so we were able to work around keeping him on that one level. Not all dogs have problems but it is something to consider.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:53 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,613,278 times
wow its not what the dog wants, its what you want,with your mind set you will be the follower not the leader, I have a dachshund that is in her golden years, I have built ramps for her to get up and down the porch steps. because she is old not because she wants a ramp
dogs will adapt to anything as long as you dont worry about will he or wont he/she like it .
it is what you think and feel not what you say is what the dog hears, you cant lie to a dog! if you fear it , it will know.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:14 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,310,223 times
I had one that didn't like stairs. It took some time but she eventual learned to go up and down them. She also didn't like wood floors. She was not a real confidant dog which was her problem. We just took the time to work with her and she finally got to where she could go up and down without a second thought. Do you have a friend that has stairs that you can take your dog to? See how it goes.

I have to agree tho, if you really want a 2 story house then I wouldn't let having a dog stop me.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:46 AM

10,091 posts, read 36,852,129 times
All of my homes have had stairs...some with carpeting...current one with wood...and no problems at all with the dogs going up and down. Dylan goes a bit slower on the wood...but he is also aging.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:11 AM

142 posts, read 506,143 times
I had to teach all 3 of my dogs what stairs were, its no big deal they get used to it

Old 05-16-2010, 10:30 AM

29,984 posts, read 16,580,107 times
Stairs are not usually a problem until your dog gets older. Then, an old dog, might have to be carried up and down. Food for thought if you have a larger dog.

Both my dogs go up and down my hardwood stairs with no problem. They are still young though.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:19 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,470,397 times
I only considered one story homes in our homebuying decision because I don't like two story homes. If I did like them, I still would not get them since I have a dog. I would worry about the risk of injury and sometimes the gates don't stop them. I'm more of a worrywart than the average person so the less I have to worry, the better.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:53 PM

268 posts, read 613,181 times
Stairs are very hard on older dogs, havent found them to be a problem when theyre younger. I personally wouldnt buy a 2 story IF the master was also up, since there will always be dogs in my life, and they are a part of my family. When its bedtime, they surround us, all night long. When my husband is away, I love the security ! All of my past large breed dogs struggled toward the end of their lives with joint issues/arthritis, I wouldnt want to make it harder for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs