Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 07:04 AM

268 posts, read 703,966 times

Advertisements

I agree with Steelstress's advice.

Its exciting when the poop starts to look good, isnt it? LOL. I told a friend ( who went raw when we did and we were comparing notes daily ) that my male had "produced a beautiful turd" ( probably the first in his life I could say that about ) she laughed about that one for days.

I also give mine a few squirts of salmon oil on top of their food, if supplements etc were covered and Im repeating, sorry, if not, you may want to add this, its really good for them. Do not add any supplements until the dogs have been on their new diet a few weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 07:27 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,814,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee 42 View Post
I agree with Steelstress's advice.

Its exciting when the poop starts to look good, isnt it? LOL. I told a friend ( who went raw when we did and we were comparing notes daily ) that my male had "produced a beautiful turd" ( probably the first in his life I could say that about ) she laughed about that one for days.

I also give mine a few squirts of salmon oil on top of their food, if supplements etc were covered and Im repeating, sorry, if not, you may want to add this, its really good for them. Do not add any supplements until the dogs have been on their new diet a few weeks.

I completely forgot about the salmon oil. I use fish body oil, but the salmon oil is really good. It's needed for the Omega-3 acids, since they need to be balanced with the excess omega-6 in the diet. I sometimes give sardines (packed in water) when I'm out of the fish body oil gelcaps.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:37 AM

61 posts, read 244,693 times
Great advice here !!!.

I know good things do not come cheap. But then how much is it running you guys on an average per pound of RAW food. Since roughly they are to be feed 3% of weight daily, it probably works out that they need almost their body weight worth of Raw food per month..

Old 05-26-2010, 09:10 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,288,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B K R View Post
Great advice here !!!.

I know good things do not come cheap. But then how much is it running you guys on an average per pound of RAW food. Since roughly they are to be feed 3% of weight daily, it probably works out that they need almost their body weight worth of Raw food per month..
Buy in bulk if you have large dogs, it's the best way to do it. My friend has 3 Great Danes and feeds them all raw. She buys 200lbs. of meat at a time from a local supplier. She's very health conscious so the meat is natural, without hormones/antibiotics, and it still costs less than kibble would for her breed. If you have a butcher, befriend him. You can get free stuff at your local butcher shop. Many parts are tossed because they are not meant to be consumed by humans but are perfectly good for your dogs. We don't buy bulk, but most raw feeders have a separate freezer and do.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee 42 View Post

I'm not a fan of supplements and have never given them to my dog. This article explains why you don't need to give supplements to a raw-fed dog.

"The best "alternative" is to feed your dog a natural form of that particular substance. For example, rather than feeding fish oil (and expecting some amazing result!), feed your dog fish."

Jane Anderson's - Myths of Supplments

Old 05-26-2010, 10:43 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,931,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B K R View Post
Great advice here !!!.

Barney is 90lbs, lean. I feed him a two chicken quarters a day (leg and thigh).

At the wal-mart, I pay under $6 for a ten pound bag of quarters, and that is enough for five days.

At the Sam's, I can get a pack of 15 to 20 thighs for $7.

In any case I can consistently feed him for under $10 a week, and kibble was costing $40 + tax a bag and only lasted three weeks. So I'm saving about 30% overall.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:14 AM

While I realize alot of supplements are simply unnecessary, I wouldnt be without salmon oil, personally. I add it 3-4 times a week. Its really helped my senior dog especially.

The omega-3 essential fatty acids found in salmon can aid in keeping the heart healthy. Dogs can benefit from this as well in the

form of a salmon oil supplement. Adding the oil to your dog's diet in proper doses can improve cardiovascular health, aid in joint protection and improve the condition of his or her skin and coat.

The same omega-3 fatty acids in salmon that are beneficial to human hearts are also beneficial to dogs. These acids are found in the oil of the salmon and other coldwater fish, and are said to be higher in wild salmon. In an American Heart Association report, salmon oil has been found to decrease arrhythmias and triglyceride levels that can lead to heart disease. It also decreases atherosclerotic plaque and can lower blood pressure in humans.

The addition of salmon oil to a dog's diet can improve skin and coat conditions as well. It reduces reactions to fleas and can make the coat shinier and softer. Salmon oil also helps reduce dry skin problems in dogs by increasing collagen production.

Joint and hip problems are a major concern for older dogs and certain breeds. Salmon oil has been reported to ease pain by reducing inflammation in dogs. Salmon oil supplements are often paired with glucosamine and chondroitin to lubricate the joints and slow the process of degeneration.

Salmon oil's anti-inflammatory properties are beneficial for other ailments. The oil is also beneficial in protecting the kidneys as well. Although these omega-3 fatty acids can be found from plant sources like flaxseed, they are more potent in salmon oil.

One of the indirect benefits of salmon oil is pain control. The anti-inflammatory properties reduce pain by reducing swelling and irritation, especially in joints. But it's also beneficial in preventing or slowing ailments that can cause pain for your dog.

</U>

[LEFT][/LEFT]

</U>

Last edited by dee 42; 05-26-2010 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: error

Old 05-26-2010, 11:52 AM

Many people don't understand how serious an overdose of Omega 3s can be. More is not better! Unless you are 100% positive that you are not overdosing your dog, do not add Omega 3s (fish oils) to your pet's diet. I cringe when I hear people add this stuff to kibble, which is already full of them. People are overusing fish oil, cod liver oil, flax oil, etc., thinking that they are helping their dog Overdoses of Omega 3 are common and will unbalance the important 3-6-9 ratios.

If you supplement with fish oil, remember to supplement with vit E too... a dog's body uses additional vit e to process the fish oil, so both are needed for optimal utilization, otherwise the beneficial effects may not be seen. Before you purchase a fish oil, research a ton. Many come from sources contaminated with mercury, so while you think you're doing a good thing, you're in fact slowly poisoning your dog with mercury.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:09 PM

MAK802 is correct on the Vit E and the need to be sure of your source of fish oil.
I am careful with the dosage my dogs are on, my husband is on, and myself. Like anything, excess is not a good thing. And some vitamins are fat soluble. Education is key. Good luck !

Old 05-26-2010, 08:00 PM

490 posts, read 1,788,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
Barney is 90lbs, lean. I feed him a two chicken quarters a day (leg and thigh).

At the wal-mart, I pay under $6 for a ten pound bag of quarters, and that is enough for five days.

At the Sam's, I can get a pack of 15 to 20 thighs for $7.

In any case I can consistently feed him for under $10 a week, and kibble was costing $40 + tax a bag and only lasted three weeks. So I'm saving about 30% overall.
Wow...that is good! I think I am spending way too much money! I am giving her more than two quarters a day and buying at the supermarket. I have to get under control...I don't even know how much I am spending. I think today I spent $25 and that will only last for about five days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs