U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-18-2010, 09:43 AM

3,753 posts, read 4,926,553 times
Default Hydroxyzine HCL and fish oil

Beesley's scratching issue was non-existant for nearly a month after a successful visit to a new vet. Unfortunately, the steroid shot he was given has worn off and the itchies are back

I called the vet this morning and he's going to write a script for Hydroxyzine HCL that he said I can get filled at any human pharmacy (Is that right?) and suggested I also give him fish oil capsules--a half human dose every day.

Anyone have experience with these two pills?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 10:20 AM

9,736 posts, read 23,681,480 times
Dylan gets a fish oil pill everyday with his food. Goldens have a tendency for dry skin....this helps and keeps his coat nice too.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:24 AM

5,049 posts, read 8,154,247 times
The main purpose of Hydroxyzine HCL is to treat mood disorders, though it's a classified antihistamine which is probably why they are prescribing it for him. It's effective against hives, itching, and rashes and can be used as a mild sedative or tranquilizer for anxious dogs.

As far as fish oil goes, I prefer the liquid version, not pills. You have to research the pills to make sure they don't contain mercury. It took me quite some time to find an oil that does not contain harmful mercury and other things. And, it's not liked in my house so we don't even use it. You can have my bottle of fish oil when you come. It's just not liked in this house and I don't want such a huge bottle to go to waste. I can't really ship it, since it's open and liquid and pretty messy if it spills.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:41 AM

4,517 posts, read 8,207,438 times
Here's some info on it from 1800PetMeds ...

Hydroxyzine HCL: Pet Allergy Treatment For Dogs - 1800PetMeds

Old 05-18-2010, 10:46 AM

9,736 posts, read 23,681,480 times
Dylan gets gel caps...human grade...and he appreciates the "no fish burps"! ( And so do I!)

Old 05-18-2010, 10:49 AM

3,753 posts, read 4,926,553 times
I already read up on the products, but I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:02 PM

3,387 posts, read 7,869,790 times
You know what - after spending $600 on steroids and veterinary antihistamines, I decided to max out my dog on the maximum dose of benedryl as I did not want to keep her on steroids for long term, and everything else has faieled, and it has worked wonders for her.

Before I went to see the vet I was giving her 1mg/lb once a day with no results, the vet put her hydroxazine and an antibiotic [that was just for the pyoderma that developed] and a steroid but the itching never really subsided.

She was loosing her hair and I was pulling mine out so I took another look at benedryl and the recommended dog dose is actually 1-2mg every 8 hours. Now she is getting 75 mg [50lb dog] twice a day and the issue is resolved completely [allergic itching]. Benedryl is cheap with few health effects. She also gets natures bounty double strenght fish oil. That is expensive but a lot cheaper than the vet and quality of life is much improved and hair has all regrown.

Now to order the flea nematodes for my yard because it only takes ONE flea bite to set her off. Well, maybe one--- we don't find fleas on her any my other dog does not itch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs