Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 12:19 AM

255 posts, read 1,195,594 times

Advertisements

We are struggling with our dog's diabetes. He started out being overweight. The vet simply told us to put him on a diet - nothing was said that Beagles (among other breeds) are pre-disposed to diabetes. When he went blind, that's when we found out he was so sick. We were devastated. We're handling it OK but are there any other Beagle owners who are dealing with the same problem? He seems to have good days and bad days. What have you found helps? What can we avoid. It's sometimes more comforting to talk to other dog owners than the vet. Of course he's on insulin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 06:29 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,220,186 times
None of mine have ever had that, but my aunt had a dog that did. She spent quite a bit of $$ on meds (of course), and never really said that she had too many issues besides a bladder issue (not sure if that was related). Mitzie did have more difficulties the older she got, but my aunt was loyal and took good care of her baby. I believe Mitzie was 13 or 14 when she passed.

Old 06-09-2007, 08:53 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,813,161 times
I have lots of beagles, but none of them has diabetes and hopefully they won't. I did however have a terrrier mix that had diabetes which was diagnosed when she was 4. She lived until she was 13, she passed away last year from what we think was a stroke.

Anyway for the nine years we had her with the diabetes we fed her a low carbohydrate diet, things such as carrots for snacks and tested her blood sugar regularly and gave her insulin shots twice a day. Cleo was also diagnosed with Cushings Syndrome a few years later which made her diabetes worse. We had her treated for that as well and her diabetes didn't go away but was easier to control. You really need to get with your vet for help understanding what you should be doing for the dog. There are two schools of thought on it 1) keep them as happy as you can until they pass or 2) treat the diabetes, follow all the guidelines and keep them living as long as you can. If you choose option 2 it requires hard work on your part and a lot of dedication. If you have any questions let me know. Good luck!

Old 06-09-2007, 11:38 AM

157 posts, read 564,350 times
We had a beagle mix who was diabetic. She also went blind from it (how we found out too) but was able to have eye surgery. She had lens implants put in. She was on prescription dog food SC- Wd. Mandy had insulin shots once a day. Good luck with your dog, she can still have a full happy life. Is he the only dog? Ours always did better with other dogs around.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:57 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
my 10 year australian terrier had it. It turned out her mother had it also.
I was going to need to put her on shots etc. I also was working real long hours, and her bill was going to cost losts of money. Anyway, about 4 weeks later, she just would not eat, and she needed to be put to sleep. It was real hard. It turned out all her organs had shut down. she drank lots of water and wet alot. Now i have a 14 year old sick bichon who will not eat. waiting for her test results.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:11 PM

Thanks for all your info, advice and encouragement as we deal daily with his illness. It is very expensive but we love him a lot and want the best for him. Yes, he's the only dog. We shower love and attention on him but I know it would be great for him to have a companion. Our house isn't huge and to have two indoor dogs wouldn't work.

maggiekate, sorry about your dogs. Hope it turns out OK.

irishmom, thanks for the info and for alerting me that I'd started another thread. I really shouldn't do this at the end of the day.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:11 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegal View Post
Thanks for all your info, advice and encouragement as we deal daily with his illness. It is very expensive but we love him a lot and want the best for him. Yes, he's the only dog. We shower love and attention on him but I know it would be great for him to have a companion. Our house isn't huge and to have two indoor dogs wouldn't work.

maggiekate, sorry about your dogs. Hope it turns out OK.

irishmom, thanks for the info and for alerting me that I'd started another thread. I really shouldn't do this at the end of the day.
hi, my Bichon, Angel died on Thursday morning in my arms. I had just on Tuesday paid 299,00 without being asked, for loads of test. Then on Wed.
the vet leaves me a voice message about the dogs liver, and to stop in and pick up pills worth over 100.00 then early Thuirsday I held the dog has she left this world. o and of course the vet said i can not give you a refund for the pills never even used.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:43 PM

maggiekate, I'm so sorry. A beloved pet's passing is so heartwrenching. I know many of us who post on the Pet section truly feel your pain. It's even more difficult when the vet seems to have no empathy for your situation. We all do though. Feel free to email anytime.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:47 PM

31 posts, read 180,130 times
Default eliminate grains

Quote:
We are struggling with our dog's diabetes. He started out being overweight. The vet simply told us to put him on a diet - nothing was said that Beagles (among other breeds) are pre-disposed to diabetes. When he went blind, that's when we found out he was so sick. We were devastated. We're handling it OK but are there any other Beagle owners who are dealing with the same problem? He seems to have good days and bad days. What have you found helps? What can we avoid. It's sometimes more comforting to talk to other dog owners than the vet. Of course he's on insulin.
The best thing would be to eliminate all grains from his diet.
http://www.mercola.com/2005/feb/5/pets_grains.htm (broken link)
Grass-Fed Pet Food
Raw Diet Success Stories

Lahoma
Home

Last edited by stuckinflorida; 06-26-2007 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-31-2008, 03:18 PM

1 posts, read 12,927 times
Smile Help For Diabetic Dogs That Works

Quote:
Give this web site a try these people are real good with diabetic dogs my dog is on insulin and blind and these people are a great help and they will E-mail you to see how your dog is doing my vet says that my dog is doing better than the rest he takes care of and he wanted to know what I was doing for her so I told him and he got intouch with these people and now he sells some of there product at his place. These people are really great.Cat and Dog Diabetes Management, natural pet care for high blood sugars in a feline or canine I know this post is alittle late but I hope you check back. DoubleD582@aol.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs