Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 01:57 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,539,604 times

Advertisements

I think I'm gonna give him a bath when I get home today. If I could afford to take him to the vet I would, but I have $20 till payday and even then won't have the money to take him
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 02:42 PM

Well I just got home and noticed Busters tail is raw and bleeding from him chewing it all day. I had to put the e-collar on him so he would leave everything on his body alone. I'm going to try a bath tonight, but short of that and spraying apple bitter on him to get him to stop I don't know what else to do at this point as I can't afford a vet visit.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:39 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
When my dog had that, I had to take him to the vet to confirm some kind of allergy, but the vet ordered Prednisone to end the itching right away. A loading dose, and then a downward taper to nothing. It worked wonderfully.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
When my dog had that, I had to take him to the vet to confirm some kind of allergy, but the vet ordered Prednisone to end the itching right away. A loading dose, and then a downward taper to nothing. It worked wonderfully.
Yea Buster use to be on that and I was tired of pumping him full of drugs that weren't working cuz at a point, it stopped.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:34 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,420,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_mac View Post
Well I just got home and noticed Busters tail is raw and bleeding from him chewing it all day. I had to put the e-collar on him so he would leave everything on his body alone. I'm going to try a bath tonight, but short of that and spraying apple bitter on him to get him to stop I don't know what else to do at this point as I can't afford a vet visit.
I know that feeling. And I'm sick about it FOR you. I wish I could help

Old 05-24-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
I know that feeling. And I'm sick about it FOR you. I wish I could help
It's driving me crazy and I feel even worse that I have to put an e-collar on him now.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:40 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
Suck it up, break out a credit card, and get the testing done. Your dog is miserable and you are the only one who can make it better for him. Don't have a credit card? Pawn something.

Have them try Dexamethasone or some other different steroid until you find one that works. Once they do the testing and identify the allergens they will give the dog a serum designed to target his specific allergens. Inhaled allergens are awful for dogs to deal with.

Use a rotation of triple antibiotic ointment and cortisone cream on every raw spot. These will quickly turn into lick granulomas is you don't get on top of them now.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
Suck it up, break out a credit card, and get the testing done. Your dog is miserable and you are the only one who can make it better for him. Don't have a credit card? Pawn something.
Not only do I not have money to buy groceries for myself since I spend what I have on my dogs, nor do I have a credit card, I don't own anything that I can pawn that will give me enough money to take him to the vet. But thank you for making me feel like even more crap than I already do!

Old 05-24-2010, 10:55 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_mac View Post
Not only do I not have money to buy groceries for myself since I spend what I have on my dogs, nor do I have a credit card, I don't own anything that I can pawn that will give me enough money to take him to the vet. But thank you for making me feel like even more crap than I already do!
Don't let random internet people get to you. Some will never know what it's like to have to decide between eating that week or getting treatment for your pet. You're an awesome dog mom and those of us that know you off this forum know that. You're doing a great job with them, more than what most would do in this situation. Keep me posted on FB/email. I want to hear if he's feeling better!

Old 05-25-2010, 04:55 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Don't let random internet people get to you. Some will never know what it's like to have to decide between eating that week or getting treatment for your pet. You're an awesome dog mom and those of us that know you off this forum know that. You're doing a great job with them, more than what most would do in this situation. Keep me posted on FB/email. I want to hear if he's feeling better!
^^^ ditto from me ..... **I** know how tough it is ......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs