U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 08:09 AM

1,203 posts, read 2,136,643 times
Default excessive panting, biting and scratching

Over the past few days Buster has been panting more than normal. He has access to plenty of water and stays in an air conditioned house for the most part. Really only goes outside for walks and potty time. On top of the panting he's been scratching, rubbing himself on the sides of the couch and biting himself constantly, even at night. I just had him tested for heartworms, negative, he's on heartworm preventative, and he doesn't have fleas, at least from what I can see. Could this just be stress, or something else? I've tried to do some research on it but have only come up with fleas and heartworms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 08:46 AM

5,049 posts, read 8,149,426 times
Could be hotspots or allergies. Have you changed food recently? And many dogs get sensitive, flaky skin when it's that hot out. Of course, I'm assuming it's really hot by you since you're in TX! I don't think it's fleas, only because your other dog would surely be showing the same symptoms.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:53 AM

Haven't changed his food, nothing is different in the house, other then the stuff you sent me, and they've only gotten a few treats out of the package and the bully sticks, none of THK yet. I'm chalking up the biting and scratching to the hot weather, but the panting, he's never done this before that I can remember so it's kind of freaking me out. And I think last night he was whining to get up on the bed with me, or whining in his bed. I noticed a little spot on his front leg last night before bed that was starting to get raw so I sprayed some bitter apple on it and I don't think it even fazed him.

What I don't understand is that he's not just itching, licking, scratching in one spot, its everywhere!

Old 05-24-2010, 09:45 AM

3,753 posts, read 4,923,650 times
It's allergy season! Get him started on a Benadryl regimine.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
It's allergy season! Get him started on a Benadryl regimine.
Speaking of Benadryl, I gave him one Saturday night and it didn't even faze him!

Old 05-24-2010, 10:15 AM

5,049 posts, read 8,149,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_mac View Post
Speaking of Benadryl, I gave him one Saturday night and it didn't even faze him!
Don't give him unnecessary meds unless you have a confirmed diagnosis. Just because it's a season for something, doesn't mean your dog has it. I'm willing to bet most people and dogs are misdiagnosed when it comes to allergies because it seems like 80% of the population seems to be affected in the US and most medicate heavily before trying other, natural options or having an accurate diagnosis done. I am totally anti unnecessary medicating, whether prescription or OTC and would never give my dog (or myself) pills unless absolutely medically necessary!

Old 05-24-2010, 10:28 AM

The last time he was in to see the vet with that skin problem he had, he was diagnosed with seasonal allergies, however they never did an allergy test because I can't afford to spend $200 on a test that might not give me any answers. He was given several cortizone shots and antibiotics that did nothing for him, so I am too hesitent about putting him on meds, but I wanted him to stop itching, thats why I gave him the Benadryl. It however did nothing and he kept on with the itching.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:51 AM

3,753 posts, read 4,923,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_mac View Post
The last time he was in to see the vet with that skin problem he had, he was diagnosed with seasonal allergies, however they never did an allergy test because I can't afford to spend $200 on a test that might not give me any answers. He was given several cortizone shots and antibiotics that did nothing for him, so I am too hesitent about putting him on meds, but I wanted him to stop itching, thats why I gave him the Benadryl. It however did nothing and he kept on with the itching.
Benadryl doesn't phase B, either

Are they already on a grain-free food?

Old 05-24-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
Benadryl doesn't phase B, either

Are they already on a grain-free food?
They're on Evo and have been for a while now. That was the first thing I did when the vet told me he had allergies. I wanted to try to weed out what it could be on my own then spending the money to let them do it cuz the vet I was taking him to sucked and I have since found a new one.

I'm more or less concerned with the panting. He's never panted this much before and it's not like it's hot in my house. I have three fans, 1 in the dinning room where their crates are, one in the living room and one in the bedroom and I keept he ac on when I leave so they aren't swealtering when I get home from work.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:38 PM

7,657 posts, read 8,675,808 times
bailey pants when she is nervous or stressed.... as do many dogs ..... maybe the itching is stressing him.... poor little fella.... can't even imagine how miserable that must be......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs