U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 05-24-2010, 11:54 AM

418 posts, read 616,875 times
Default American Bulldogs and Kids

As spin-off from the dogs and kids thread, how do these dogs do with children? Anyone have any expericnce?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-24-2010, 02:42 PM

205 posts, read 303,207 times
I don't have specific AB experience.... Only thing I can say about kids and AB's - is their mass can sometimes be challenge. And for that matter, any large dog has the same issue. The dog gets excited, starts to pop and hop around and the child is in the way. The dog knocks the kid over, and you have a dog that is blamed for hurting a child. I would always recommend that dog/child play time is supervised.

I have always had APBT's and Rotts when my kids were growing up. The dogs had the bulk to put up with play and tumble from my kids without getting hurt. The dogs protected my kids and put up with sooo much stuff. I had a niece that at the age of two poked my pit in the eye with a toy hard enough to need a vet visit, and the only thing spikey did was get up and walk away.

Unread 05-24-2010, 04:06 PM

56 posts, read 71,447 times
I have an AB / APBT mix and he has always been fine with kids. He is as gentle as could be with any human he has encountered because we have always made it a point to keep him social.

Unread 05-24-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freesiia View Post
I don't have specific AB experience.... Only thing I can say about kids and AB's - is their mass can sometimes be challenge. And for that matter, any large dog has the same issue. The dog gets excited, starts to pop and hop around and the child is in the way. The dog knocks the kid over, and you have a dog that is blamed for hurting a child. I would always recommend that dog/child play time is supervised.
We already have a boxer so if anyone can pop and hop he can!!! lol. My boyfriends son used to it.

Unread 05-24-2010, 05:45 PM

205 posts, read 303,207 times
our Spike would spin when she got excited. My kids learned to step back quick... lol. we loved our hairy daughter very much.

Unread 05-24-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerlady View Post
We already have a boxer so if anyone can pop and hop he can!!! lol. My boyfriends son used to it.
In fact the reason the people who gave up my boxer gave him up was because "he was mean to their kids". Before I took him home I went over and watched the family together. "Mean to their kids" consisted of typical boxer behavior. Jumping on, knocking over, that type of thing. He was a 3 month old PUPPY and a BOXER at that. What did they expect? It drives me crazy when people don't research the bred they buy!!!

Unread 05-24-2010, 06:22 PM

2,531 posts, read 5,987,989 times
My friend has an American bull dog and 3 young children. The dog is very gentle with them.

Unread 03-04-2012, 01:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,126 times
I have a American Bulldog and he is absolutely wonderful around my grandchildren, My oldest is 7 and she is scared of him and he senses that so when he gets around her, he will kneel in front of her to let her know he wont hurt her, the youngest just the opposite they wrestle all over the floor together but he is still gentle...they are very protective over thier family..as long as you treat ur pet like part of the family u couldnt ask for a better dog..and are extremely fast learners

Unread 03-04-2012, 09:38 PM

50 posts, read 56,739 times
Like any dog, regardless of breed, dogs should always be supervised around kids, even if he's the gentlest mush. Kids are unpredictable and dogs are animals with animal instincts. American Bulldogs are big powerful breeds and they have the capacity to do more damage than smaller dogs. This is not to say that ABs are naturally bad with kids or aggressive prone (No dog is naturally aggressive unless they have been very poorly bred from generations of unstable and aggressive parents).

It is just that ABs are 90-100+ pounds of pure muscle, and even in play they might knock down a kid and accidentally hurt them, especially if the kids are running around screaming as kids tend to do. People need to be especially careful with dealing with kids and puppies. Puppies are still learning and will make mistakes. They may still have some of their needle-sharp milk teeth left, and they can really hurt if the pup hasn't been taught not to nip and/or mouth people. Kids can also accidentally hurt a pup by stepping on them, pulling tails, poking eyes, pulling ears, rough wrestling, etc. A well socialized adult may better tolerate such treatment; a scared puppy might try to defend himself (and who could blame him?) from what he believes are a bunch of giant bullies out to get him.

If anyone is thinking of getting an AB or any bully breed, IMHO I think it is best if you already have some bully breed experience or are at least good friends with people who are familiar in owning them. They are not the best dogs for novice dog owners. ABs are athletic, muscular, powerful, and energetic, so you really have to know how to exercise, discipline and socialize them properly.

In the proper hands, American Bulldogs and other big bully breeds can be the sweetest and gentlest family dogs you could ever ask for.

In the wrong hands, however, they, like any other dog, can become dangerous.

Unread 03-05-2012, 12:57 AM

1,207 posts, read 856,573 times
Although this thread is more than a year old, I hope the OP has their answer, Am Bulldogs are wonderful around children.

As with all children and dog interaction ther must be adult supervision at all times. This is for the safety of the child as well as the dog. There are two things you can count on in this world...1) children being children and 2) dogs being dogs no matter the breed.

Children must be supervised at all times just as dogs must be supervised with children.

I have an Am Bulldog and an Am Bulldog x and they loved children however I would always supervised the interaction, period. Both are larger muscled dogs, neither would attack but kids have a way of exciting dogs. Screaming, making high pitched sounds, waving arms, it is my job to read my dogs and control them and the situation they are in. If they need to be removed and calmed down, I am there to do it, simple as that. My boys are not easily excited but I am their calming leader. They look to me for direction and I give them that direction.

Am Bulldogs are nanny dogs because they were raised as farm dogs. They were to help out on the farm with herding, getting rid of vermin, and playing with the kids. If they did not do well with the kids, they didn't keep the dog. It was something the dog was breed to do.

Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs