Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2010, 01:24 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,116,600 times

Advertisements

So I'll preface this with this...

I got a new dining room table. It sits right against the double windows in the dining room. These are usually the last windows to get opened since they are kind of hard to get to and with the other windows open the whole house gets a breeze and there is plenty of light.

So I open ALL (including the dining room) the windows today to air out the house and lighten up the place while I'm in and out brewing a batch of beer. Now when I'm outside the dog gets antsy and has to know where I am so goes from window to window keeping an eye on me.

Anyway, I'm cleaning up and head into the garage to put something away and I hear the scuffle of him moving around the house and look over my shoulder to see him standing in the dining room window. This is perplexing to me as the window is at waist height and there is a table there... oh wait a minute... no way... yeah. He scrambled up the bench and onto the table and is standing there looking at me.

I couldn't really decide whether to laugh, cry or scream, lol. Of course I gave him the negative noise and calmly told him off, which he promptly did, but that didn't make it any less shocking.

Oh and for those that don't know Harper is a 70 lb (ish) yellow lab/sharpei mix, heh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 04:27 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
resourceful fella.......

so, how's the table??

Old 06-07-2010, 04:56 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
BAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

Go, Harper!!!!

We have a table and chairs out on our deck when we dare to eat outside (it's either too hot or too cold on most days). My friend was sitting at the table while his dogs (and my dog) were playing in the yard one afternoon. He had a little bag of dog treats that he put on the table. Anyway, the dogs came up on the deck and Artie sniffed out those treats easily. Feeling peeved that he wasn't being given any, he jumped up on the table. There he was, all four feet on the table. He didn't even use a chair to help the cause. And he has those really short legs so it was the all the funnier.

Anyway, he leaped up on the table, grabbed the bag, jumped down, and went into the yard, followed by the other dogs who figured they were going to get their share.

PS. My husband also brews his own beer. It's quite a talent.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:51 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,690,867 times
That's hilarious! I love those moments: "No, wait, it can't be... how... what... OH MY GOD!!"

I had a similar experience with my GSD. She hates having her nails clipped so they are usually fairly long and unmanicured. Anyway, I am asleep the other night when I wake up to a dragging noise that involves my dog. At first, I thought it was her leg (what the hell else could it be?); I was completely perplexed. Until I turned on the light.... (drumroll)

It was the bathmat. A loose loop had gotten caught on a jagged toenail and she was dragging it around the room trying to get it off. The hapless victim look she gave me was priceless: "Get it off me. NOW. Please, for the love of God, get it off me!"

Old 06-07-2010, 09:02 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,054,527 times
That is hilarious! I think I'd have to laugh after reprimanding.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:05 AM

795 posts, read 4,537,776 times
tomsd, that's funny! i love it!

(when barnaby, my 13-year old shih-tzu, was about a year old, we visited a friend in florida for his birthday and were out for a long day. when we came back to visit, we opened the front door and... no barnaby. much to my friends' amusement and my horror, we found him perched on the kitchen table, unable to get down. i guess he used a chair to jump up there in pursuit of the cake, although, luckily, he hadn't been able to open it... who knows how long he was up there... ahhhh, good times with this boy!)

Old 06-07-2010, 10:19 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,269,285 times
BARNDOG...how ya doing ? How's our boy ?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~

LOL... Smart Dog...
Sort of like our (front yard dog) He belongs to our neighbors, but he is always here. I LOVE this dog.
Last Thursday I was in one of our rooms in the house & looking out the window below is a roof of our plant room off the basement.
I was on the phone ... our front yard dog heard my voice & he jumoed up on the roof & looked in the window at me.
I wasn't paying attention, I was talking. I had heard a scratching sound on the shingles, just thought it was a bird.
LET ME TELL YOU... when I did look up & saw this BIG yellow lab looking in the window at me, tongue hanging out. I let out a SCREAM.................. He was the last thing I thought I would see. Scared the Bajeepers out of me.
It really is funny.... but when your NOT expecting to see a big 'ole smiling yellow lab...
I had to go to the front door & call him to get off the roof.
He is so goofy.
I gave him some fresh water and a cookie (later on).
I LOVE OUR FRONT YARD DOG :-)

Old 06-07-2010, 10:53 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,586,673 times
OK When will the beer be ready and are we all invited for a taste?

Love your story as that is alot of dog to see on the table. Hope the table is OK.

Years ago when Jazz was a puppy my cat use to sit in the kitchen window above the counter to watch for me in the morning as I came home from work. One morning as I drove up not only did I see the cat but the wiggling puppy was up there with her and going crazy at the sight of me. Being I really did not want a puppy on the kitchen counter I needed to end that. It took a few weeks but I finally broke her of that habit.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:56 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,116,600 times
Oh the table fared just fine but had a couple new scratches. As long is it isn't anything deep though I think scratches just add to the character of wood furniture so I wasn't too upset.

It is funny though as he knows not to get up on the bed and has never done anything remotely like that. He doesn't evn go paws up on the counter or anything. The most he will do is point his nose at something interesting (on my desk or kitchen counter or whatever) and sniff at it. Pretty sure it was a heat of the moment thing and the table is new so he isn't trained in how to handle it.

So many great stories and yeah Sillypups I'm pretty sure I would've screamed too if I looked out a second story window to see a big dog staring at me, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs