U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 10:38 AM

732 posts, read 1,738,452 times

Advertisements

We are trialing a 6 month old standard poodle. We have agreed to a full 5 day trial period to decide whether or not we want to keep him. He is 45 pounds.

We have a tall 25 pound skinny schnoodle (all legs) that's 2 years old. We tried out a 15 pound poodle mix about 2 months ago that Bailey (our schnoodle) obviously hated. He would sit in the corner and wouldn't even let us touch him. He was mad or angered...not sure which. We noticed at the dog park he wanted to play with the big dogs instead of the small ones, so we thought we could try out the standard poodle.

We have had the standard poodle for 4 days. Sometimes I think that they play too rough together. Bailey will be on his back with feet up in the air with the standard standing over him "pecking" all over Bailey and face fighting. It's play for sure, but sometimes the standard will step on Bailey and Bailey will yelp. The standard will get right off and back away. Bailey never has his tail tucked when playing, and seems to instigate play a lot too.

My main concern is that Bailey will get hurt, not on purpose. The standard still has some growing to do and may get up to 60 pounds, since he's 45 pounds at 6 months.

Without a second dog, Bailey just lays around all day and I will take him on a walk, but he doesn't want to go on a long walk and will sometimes want to play ball, but other than that wants to sleep...almost like he's depressed.

With the other dog here, he plays a lot and doesn't seem aggrevated. It's the most energy I've seen out of him in a long time...I just don't want him to get hurt. His tiny toothpick legs look like they can snap easily. I will say he is much faster than the standard, so he will back up under his legs and do "acrobatics" around the standard...so he had that going for him.

The standard poodle is very mellow for a 6 month old puppy. He does have spurts of play, but for the most part takes a lot of naps. The prior owner that is letting me trial him says he's the most mellow puppy she's ever met and that he's not hyperactive. I agree, he's very laid back.

Bailey and the standard are both males. Bailey is neutered, and the standard is not. We would get the standard neutured very soon if we kept him.

My husband and I can't figure out if Bailey really enjoys the company or not....and if he will be safe playing with such a big dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 12:54 PM

7,559 posts, read 11,892,589 times
A male dog is rarely happy to see another male dog on his turf - and you better believe he considers your home HIS turf.

Signs of aggression would include growling/fighting but also "humping" - a show of dominance.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:16 PM

7,559 posts, read 11,892,589 times
Oh, and the marking...

Old 05-25-2010, 01:22 PM

732 posts, read 1,738,452 times
It's been four days and neither of them have "marked". I've been watching them very close. The very first day Bailey would try to hump the standard, but has not tried since. There has been no growling or aggression of any kind from either of them. We got Bailey neutered when he was 5 months old and still squats to pee. Maybe that's why. I think they both decided that the standard poodle would be alpha because the standard will take toys from Bailey without objection. Plus, he lets the standard come in first from outside. I really don't think Bailey is the type of dog that "wants" to be in charge. Both of the dogs are really submissive dogs.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:45 PM

9,355 posts, read 16,833,447 times
i might be a little concerned with the size difference..... does bailey hold his own when they are playing??

Old 05-25-2010, 02:36 PM

3,593 posts, read 10,680,828 times
Sounds to me like they are getting along fine. As for males fighting.... before Bandit died, we had 2 males and a female in the house. No fights or marking. Males do not always fight or mark. It depends a lot on the personality of the dogs as well as the breed characteristics.

If you feel they are playing too rough, step in and calm them down for a bit. Just as you would do if a child was playing to rough. Its ok to set boundries on how they play together.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:37 PM

19,822 posts, read 55,990,399 times
I have 2 males now and have had 2 males before, with no problems. Of course, it does depend on the individual dogs. But I would say it sounds like it is working out just fine. My APBT wants to be alpha but he isn't and he is the one who gets scabs on his face when one of the ohters bites him to put him in his place (not very frequently). My APBT and GSP play exactly like that, sometimes they are both lying on the floor too tired to stand up anymore but still rassling.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:40 PM

1,203 posts, read 3,872,981 times
I have a male and female and the male dog is smaller then the female. I think he has little man syndrom because he does bite and pull at her face when they are playing and if it's to hard she'll let him know either by yelping or snapping at him.

It really sounds as though they're just playing. Dogs play rough sometimes and if it's too rough one will let the other know by doing just what yours did.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:47 PM

3,593 posts, read 10,680,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_mac View Post
I have a male and female and the male dog is smaller then the female. I think he has little man syndrom because he does bite and pull at her face when they are playing and if it's to hard she'll let him know either by yelping or snapping at him.

It really sounds as though they're just playing. Dogs play rough sometimes and if it's too rough one will let the other know by doing just what yours did.
Personally, I make sure that I'm the one that sets the boundries, not my dogs. I never let it get to the yelping or snapping stage. They are always redirected before it gets that intense.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:50 PM

43,552 posts, read 52,647,623 times
One of the most common reasons we see people in ED for dog bites is they're trying to pull apart two fighting dogs.

Get an air horn. Simple as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or