Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 06:04 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,147 times

Advertisements

Groin area... probably because it's pretty bare fur-wise but full of blood vessels. Ears are good too. Paws obviously due to where canines transfer their heat.

A tip for anyone reading this: if you suspect heat stroke, the best thing to do is to get the dog to stand is a bathtub of room temp water, NOT cold. If you're out and about, put the dog in the shade and pour water over their paws, repeating when the water on the paws is very warm/hot to the touch. If you find yourself without water, fan the paws. Basically, you want to speed up evaporation from the pads.

When I first told my fab vet the oddity of what had happened (twice, and as much as it pains me to say it, I didn't cotton on and she'd collapsed foaming, heaving, retching, etc. etc. She's also exactly the wrong shape to carry in a fireman's lift! ) I got a look like this: . Ok, I said to the vet, let me prove something to you. I took her out of the vet's office for about ... oh, less than five minutes into the parking area, and when I brought her back, I'd managed to raise her body temp by two degrees. The vet went from to this: . LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 06:29 PM

795 posts, read 4,536,783 times
giesela -- actually, barnaby does have a heart problem, mitral valve prolapse, so i also try to be careful with him in the heat... but he is due for a complete blood panel in june b/c of his kidney damage, so (i hope!) any other problems that he might have will show up then.

i just have never seen anything like it ~ his body being being locked into position with his head pulled back, and then the loss of control of his body! freeaaaky!

i hate to ask, but from your wording, is your dog okay?

Old 05-27-2010, 01:13 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
Barndog - you know your above description sounds a little more like a seizure of some sort. Hm.

As for Booker no, he was not ok. There is nothing they can do about Hemangiosarcoma tumors (well not as of 2002). They are just too vascular to operate on and don't respond to chemo. Its a cancer that targets those organs most involved in blood like liver, kidney, heart. His was around his heart. The vet school at Michigan State University did do a procedure where they basically put a hole in the sac around his heart so some of the blood would escape and be reabsored by his body, relieving the pressure on his heart some. It bought him around 6 weeks. He was a great dog. Thank you for asking.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:06 PM

oh, giesela - i'm so sorry! thank you for sharing your story with me.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:08 PM

fivehorses -- sounds like you and i have had some similar "no, it can't be"... "holy crap, it is" moments with the vet! these dogs!!!

great info on heat stroke!

Old 05-27-2010, 04:10 PM

i just spoke with my dad... his chihuahua has had the exact same kind of episode twice... i am trying to find out if his wife remembers their's vet's diagnosis, or if their vet even gave a diagnosis. if i find additional info, i will post back for other's who might find themselves in this situation.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:15 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,633,305 times
The onset of stroke is sudden. The signs depend on the location and extent of the bleeding or brain infarction (death of tissue.) they include behavioral changes, disorientation, seizures, weakness or paralysis on one side of the body, stupor and coma. Large strokes are often accompanied by cardiac arrhythmias and collapse.

If your vet has not called you back, contact a 24 HR emergency clinic and talk with them.

The prognosis can be very good!

Best wishes for you and your friend!

Luv-A-Bull

Old 07-31-2011, 09:23 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,150,831 times
When my last dog, a lab, was around 12 he had some sort of seizure. Maybe it was a stroke. He came to "tell" me something was wrong. Flash sat down in front of me, looked at me and his eyes were darting back and forth sideways (I forget the medical term). This went on for a couple minutes. When he tried to stand up, there was weakness on one side and he couldn't walk straight. I called the vet immediately. This was years ago but think he said to see if the symptoms improved within a day or two. They gradually went away and he seemed back to normal within 5 days. It never happened again.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:29 PM

i hate to tell you all this, but you're a little late to the party. i posted that question may 2010. but hey, since we're all here!... i can definitively tell you that incident was not a seizure of any kind. barnaby started having seizures in december 2010 (and just had one last night), and seizures are totally different than what happened in that episode. and it wasn't a stroke either, so i don't really know what it was. but he's still kicking, and so am i, and we thank you for your answers.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:14 PM

11 posts, read 40,846 times
hi barndog! sounds like you really do have your hands full with your medical marvel! i recently found this website www.askariel.com"]www.askariel.com it's focus is on holistic pet care (making your pet better from the inside out) and i saw that she had supplements for pet arthritis, cancer pakages..and there was tons of success testimonials! it's something i think all of you guys could take a look at! and i just signed up for the newsletter.. it's free and she gives lots of advice and tips..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs