Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 01:55 PM

4 posts, read 35,148 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on what kind of puppy food to feed to an eight week old english mastiff? I have done some research and found some ideas like blue buffalo or canidae but am open to any ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 02:08 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,361,027 times
We have a 3 month old lab mix, and he is eating Taste of the Wild (Pacific Harvest). We started with Innova for large breeds, but it was giving him loose poops/diarrhea. So we switched him. He absolutely loves it and his digestive system is all back to normal. Taste of the Wild is an all stages food, which means that puppies and adults both eat it, and the amount is determined by age and weight. It's one of the better brands of dog food out there (grainless).

Old 05-26-2010, 02:18 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,382,489 times
I just bought a bag of "Taste of the Wild" in a speciality pet health food store. My 10-year old Lab loves it. Actually, it would go well with a nice Cabernet Sauvignon. Taste of the Wild : Home

Old 05-26-2010, 03:08 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times
Try Orijen Large Breed Puppy. No recalls and no ethoxyquin. Great company with great values. Innova is now owned by Procter & Gamble, and TOTW uses ethoxyquin as a preservative.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:16 PM

718 posts, read 2,079,455 times
Want to explain what ethoxyquin does?

Old 05-26-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKK View Post
Want to explain what ethoxyquin does?
The pet food companies will tell you it's completely safe, of course. They'll call it an "antioxidant" and as humans, we are led to believe that all antioxidants are good. That's not the case! By looking at all the dogs that get unnecessary diseases, I beg to differ. I'm very conscious as to what I put in my body and my dog's body and would never in a million years feed food that's preserved with this stuff!

"Originally developed by Monsanto as a stabilizer for rubber, Ethoxyquin has also been used as a pesticide for fruit and a color preservative for spices, and later for animal feed. The original FDA permit for use as stabilizer in animal feed limited use to two years and did not include pet food, but it falls under the same legal category. It has never been proven to be safe for the lifespan of a companion animal.It has been linked to thyroid, kidney, reproductive and immune related illnesses as well as cancer, but so far no conclusive, reliable research results either for the safety of this product or against it have not been obtained. Monsanto conducted research years ago, but results were so inconclusive due to unprofessional conduct and documentation that the FDA demanded another study. There are currently several studies underway to determine whether Ethoxyquin is safe or not, and until those studies are completed, pet food suppliers may continue to use Ethoxyquin. This is how things stand after about 6 years, and no new details have emerged so far."

The Dog Food Project - Ingredients to avoid

The Problem with Ethoxyquin (http://www.avianweb.com/ethoxyquin.htm - broken link)

Old 06-25-2010, 01:36 PM

78 posts, read 253,668 times
I spoke with Taste of The Wild and they said they don't use Ethoxyquin, yet the fish they use often comes from the supplier with it in it. I have 2 big dogs and can't afford Orijen, being that it's in the fish meal which isn't a huge portion of the bison formula, would TOTW be ok? Or what else would you recommend?

Old 06-25-2010, 02:54 PM

TOTW actually announced that they are going to stop the use of ethoxyquin in their fish formulas sometime this year. I don't know when this will happen, but I know pet store owners received a letter from the company stating that they plan to do this very soon.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:56 PM

254 posts, read 414,936 times
Nutros is a very good brand. They have large breed puppy food, and it is a very healthy brand, no "filler" or crap that dogs don't need in their diets. It can be found at most pet stores or specialty/feed stores. Don't think they sell it at chain grocery stores though.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:51 PM

Nutro has had 6 recalls last year alone, and already 2 this year. One of those recalls involved puppy food that was tainted with plastic. That aside, it's one of the worst foods on the market! The reviews say it all. All their food rates 2 stars. They have since changed some ingredients, but they are still filled with garbage.

Dog Food Reviews - Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy Lamb Meal & Rice formula - Powered by ReviewPost
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs