Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 11:30 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times

Advertisements

The plan I had would deny claims if the illness or injury was recorded in the vets records before the insurance was issued. They wanted the complete record prior to issuance. Otherwise they paid 80% of every claim But on skin issues, one dog has just about reached their lifetime max, so that won't be covered much longer. And the rates are based on age so the older the dog the higher the rates. They went up a little for the first few years but when they reached 10 years old, the rate climbed in big amounts each year.

if I add up all vet bills and prescriptions, subtract premiums and out of pocket expenses, I'm still way ahead of the game. And I bet I wouldn't have been so carefree in saying yes to those expensive treatment if not for the insurance.

I did have one claim denied but after speaking to them it was because the way the vet listed the treatment, the vet sent a correction and it was paid. I guess it all depends on the plan. You buy a good plan, you get good service. You try to save some money on a so-so plan, expect so-so servce.

Last edited by PacificFlights; 05-27-2010 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: eta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 11:48 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times
I guess I'm just flabbergasted that so many people take their pets to the vet so often to justify $500+ for medical insurance! I can't imagine spending that much in a year, unless a true emergency happened. And let's be realistic, how often do you go to an e-vet every year? Probably not often enough to justify the cost.

I'm into natural healing and am very against unnecessary medication/vaccinations. My dog does not see the vet unless absolutely necessary. There is no reason to re-vaccinate every single year. And, titers are not covered by insurance companies due to the high cost (vaccines might be) so insurance is worthless in that aspect. I have a breed that "should" have a thousand different issues (Bulldog) but he is healthier than any dog I know because we don't push medication/vaccines into him like most people do. A high-quality diet can prevent most issues from happening in the first place. We haven't had a single skin issue or allergy, even though Bulldogs are notorious for getting them because we took the proactive approach. For those interested in a realistic vaccine schedule, check out this site.

Index

Old 05-27-2010, 12:03 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
For me it's wild dog syndrome. They are crazy buggers and they play like its some rage in the cage event. Both have had at least two broken bones. One knocked some of her teeth out. They have been attacked by bees and since their palymates are a donkey and goat, you can imagine the things they get into. But they are dogs and they behave 100% as a dog would. Although they are pampered, they would rather sleep on the floor of the shed with the lawn mower than sleep in the house on their beds. If you have a pocket pouch who does nothing but eat, poop, watch TV, and take walks on the sidewalk, it may not be for you. But if you have Crazy Betty and Looney Stinker, insurance may be just another normal expense.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:20 PM

418 posts, read 1,382,100 times
I thought about for my boxer when he was younger because in one year he:
-Ate laundry soap
-Cut his side on a log (do not ask me how he did this!! lol)
-got in a fight with a cat and cut his ear
-got in a fight w my rottweiler and cut his eye
-opened his stiches back up for all accidents he had

It was one expensive year!! I think if I had a puppy again I might consider it now my dogs are older and the decsion has been made espically for my boxer, no extreme measures will be taken in the event of a serious illness (cancer or something similar) Due to his rescue issues he would not do well with any type of treatment. If he broken his leg or something it would just have to come out of my pocket. So knock on wood that doesnt happen!!!!

Old 05-27-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
For me it's wild dog syndrome. They are crazy buggers and they play like its some rage in the cage event. Both have had at least two broken bones. One knocked some of her teeth out. They have been attacked by bees and since their palymates are a donkey and goat, you can imagine the things they get into. But they are dogs and they behave 100% as a dog would. Although they are pampered, they would rather sleep on the floor of the shed with the lawn mower than sleep in the house on their beds. If you have a pocket pouch who does nothing but eat, poop, watch TV, and take walks on the sidewalk, it may not be for you. But if you have Crazy Betty and Looney Stinker, insurance may be just another normal expense.
I don't blame you for having it, you absolutely need it given what you just said! But the majority of the people are average folk, who don't go to dog parks, don't send their dogs to daycare, basically just people that have companion animals that they walk around the neighborhood. The biggest risk to their dogs is falling off the couch while watching tv with their human! Huge waste of money in that instance!

On a side note, I would love to meet someone with a baby goat so my boy can play. He met a horse for the first time recently and was licking its face! Your dogs sound like the have an awesome life!

Old 05-27-2010, 12:42 PM

418 posts, read 1,382,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
The biggest risk to their dogs is falling off the couch while watching tv with their human!
And my boxer has done that!! lmao Luckily he wasn't hurt!!

Old 05-27-2010, 12:46 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
Quote:
On a side note, I would love to meet someone with a baby goat so my boy can play. He met a horse for the first time recently and was licking its face! Your dogs sound like the have an awesome life!
Swoon!
My co worker has a farm with baby goats. He lives on the outskirts in Boerne. Unfortunately, we are too far away but the goats are accustomed to dogs.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerlady View Post
And my boxer has done that!! lmao Luckily he wasn't hurt!!
Boxers are quite resilient!

Old 05-27-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Swoon!
My co worker has a farm with baby goats. He lives on the outskirts in Boerne. Unfortunately, we are too far away but the goats are accustomed to dogs.
I say road trip time. And of course, record a video and take pictures too!

Old 05-27-2010, 12:53 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
Quote:
I say road trip time. And of course, record a video and take pictures too!
Oops! I meant to say you are too far! Can't think straight!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs