Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 04:29 PM

418 posts, read 1,382,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
Hubby & I have rescued so many Rottweilers over the last 25 years.

So many different stories...
Most were abused...several abused horribly.
Some just needed homes cause their owners were moving...getting married...had newborns...lost their job...lost their homes, you name it.

The badly abused ones learned to trust again. Their physical wounds healed. The emotional wounds took longer to heal.
Except for one Rotty... he was a beautiful big boy. We rescued him at 1-1/2 years old. He died this past Jan 31 at age 10 years & 8 months.
He was a great watch dog. Good with family, friends, kids & other Rotts & Bloodhound that we rescued.
He was so quiet his whole life.
I spent a lot of time trying to get him to play.
He never did. He never played with a ball, or a toy, or any of our other Rotts. He never played with humans either.
He just broke my heart. He seemed sad his whole life for the most part. He would just lay there & watch the world go round.
He LOVED to be loved, and you can bet I loved him so much...as much as a human can love a dog. He was my son for that matter.
If I was gone...when I came home, he showed in his eyes & smile he was happy I was home. That was my boy.
His nick name was Gentle Ben.
I just wish 1 time he got to see what it was like to play & have fun.
I miss him so much. Our home just isn't the same without him and I miss him every day. He was a very good boy.
He is probably playing in dog heaven waiting to play with you someday.
Your story made me cry.
It makes me sad that one day Charlie will die but also all that he suffers with in this world makes me sad too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 04:34 PM

418 posts, read 1,382,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof2 View Post
I rescued Odie in 2004 when he was approx 3-4. He had been a service dog for a lady with MS, so he was trained very well (he likely wasn't an official service dog, was just trained to do special things). She passed away, and her family members abused him. He was passed around until he ended up at the vet's office to be PTS. They didn't want to put him to sleep, so my brother's girlfriend (who was a vet tech) took him home and fostered him until they found hum a home. He was there less than nine months and was returned because he chased (and possibly killed) ducks. I can't imagine him actually catching one, but... Anyway, he ended up back with my brother. One weekend while in grad school I went to my mom's house, and my brother came over and brought his dogs, and "Otis." I thought there was something wrong with him because of the thing on his back...turns out it's a ridge, because he's a ridgeback, duh! We clicked and I decided to get him. I broke my lease (no dogs allowed) and found a duplex with a fenced yard. He bonded with my boyfriend (now husband) the first day I brought him home, and we've been a happy family ever since

Odie has tons of issues, but we've worked through them to the point where it's managable. He used to know how to answer the phone (but we don't have a landline now), and will pick things up when you drop them, because he did these things for his first owner.

Lanie came five years later. One day I just decided we had to rescue another dog and Odie would just have to live with it. I saw Lanie's picture on Petfinder, and she was an older-looking Greyhound covered in scars. The picture showed her outside enjoying laying in the grass and basking in the sun...like she could still appreciate the little things in life despite all she'd been through. I emailed the rescue, filled out the app and we drove a few hours away to pick her up that weekend. She needed tons of dental work, so it took some time for her personality to come out, but she's a great dog, and sweet as can be.
LOL!! I love the story about thinking something was wrong with him because he had ridge on his back!! The first time I saw a ridgeback I thought it was mad! My dogs both get little ridges on their backs when they are on guard!!!

Old 05-27-2010, 05:28 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
Hubby & I have rescued so many Rottweilers over the last 25 years.

So many different stories...
Most were abused...several abused horribly.
Some just needed homes cause their owners were moving...getting married...had newborns...lost their job...lost their homes, you name it.

The badly abused ones learned to trust again. Their physical wounds healed. The emotional wounds took longer to heal.
Except for one Rotty... he was a beautiful big boy. We rescued him at 1-1/2 years old. He died this past Jan 31 at age 10 years & 8 months.
He was a great watch dog. Good with family, friends, kids & other Rotts & Bloodhound that we rescued.
He was so quiet his whole life.
I spent a lot of time trying to get him to play.
He never did. He never played with a ball, or a toy, or any of our other Rotts. He never played with humans either.
He just broke my heart. He seemed sad his whole life for the most part. He would just lay there & watch the world go round.
He LOVED to be loved, and you can bet I loved him so much...as much as a human can love a dog. He was my son for that matter.
If I was gone...when I came home, he showed in his eyes & smile he was happy I was home. That was my boy.
His nick name was Gentle Ben.
I just wish 1 time he got to see what it was like to play & have fun.
I miss him so much. Our home just isn't the same without him and I miss him every day. He was a very good boy.
Aww. That's so sad that no one ever tried to play with him until it was too late. It's happy that he knew love though. That's great story.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:11 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,650 times
Boxerlady and Sillypups, you brought tears to my eyes.

One day we will all meet at the rainbow bridge.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:09 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerlady View Post
I have Charlie's, my boxers, written but its on my laptop and I will share shortly. He has a very touching one!!! I want to hear your dogs rescue stories!!!
I have two: well actually our little guy wasn't really a rescue baby, but close. He was found, wandering on a busy street in a small town about 6 years ago. A friend was heading for church when she found him. He had a collar that was so tight it had aheared to his skin, had never been groomed so the matts were everywhere (he is a shtz tzu or however you spell it) and his eyes were all matted. Anyway, long story, short, even though we had a Springer Spanial and a Great Dane we decided to take him.. He was petrified of the big dogs, didn't know how to react to love and was totally beside himself when we took him down the next day to be de-balled and get his shots. As years have gone by, we lost our Great Dane and our beloved Springer disappeared shortly after we moved to AR. As for our little guy, well he cetainly has turned out to be the apple of everyones eyes. Today I had 12 ladies for bridge, 3 wanted to know if they could adopt him..

The other story, our good friend and the clerygy person (female) at our church in NM adopted a 3 year old Irish Wolfhound from a rescue group in Wyonming. She loves her lady friend, which is wonderful. The bad news, when she adopted her, the vet (also in charge of the rescue group) said doggy was about 3 years old, turned out, doggy was closer to 8 or so and has cost our friend literally thousands of $$s in vet bills. This doesn't mean everything was bad or is bad, but it did mean someone was really off base on this one.

Nita

Old 05-27-2010, 08:21 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,323,326 times
My three pets were not rescued from the jaws of death by me but I adopted them from three people who could no longer care for them.

Annie is 8. I got her when she was 3. The son of a friend was getting married and his wife was alergic. So, I adopted Annie 5 years ago.

Stella is 13. Last year a dear friend was moving from Texas to Seattle and felt that the trip and move would be too much for Stella. So I adopted her last September.

Tammy is 4. Her owner was diagnosed with cancer in February and could no longer take care of Tammy. So, I adopted her in April.

I love all three of them very much and the feeling is returned....which makes it a total win-win situation for all 4 of us.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:58 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
My three pets were not rescued from the jaws of death by me but I adopted them from three people who could no longer care for them.

Annie is 8. I got her when she was 3. The son of a friend was getting married and his wife was alergic. So, I adopted Annie 5 years ago.

Stella is 13. Last year a dear friend was moving from Texas to Seattle and felt that the trip and move would be too much for Stella. So I adopted her last September.

Tammy is 4. Her owner was diagnosed with cancer in February and could no longer take care of Tammy. So, I adopted her in April.

I love all three of them very much and the feeling is returned....which makes it a total win-win situation for all 4 of us.
yes it does.......

Old 05-27-2010, 10:54 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,323,326 times
Oops! I didn't realize I was in the Dog Forum. I thought the thread was about pets. My three girls are cats and I love them as much as I loved every dog I have owned. I love both cats and dogs. All have been cherished members of my little family.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:34 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
a rescue is a rescue is a rescue and is always a good thing........

Old 05-28-2010, 06:26 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Bless all of you...thank you.

Your my heroes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs