U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 12:43 AM

9,477 posts, read 6,473,576 times
Last month when the yard was a bogg of clover and assorted plants no lawnmower could hack, I found ticks on me several times. Knowing they are there I wear clothes that cover my lower have while in the yard. If you go somewhere you know there are ticks, not only check the dogs but your clothes. They hitch hike too.

One neighbor of mine last house went up to the mountians, where the ticks in Socal carry lots of things, and brought his two dogs home without having them bathed first. He got the neighborhood full of them. So if your dog goes off on wooded places its especially important for you and the dog to check before home.

I am going to try Frontline Plus over the other stuff this summer even if it misses some of the fleas if it kills ticks. That in the end is far more likely to create problems. My black long haired cats could have a ton of them hiding in that fur and you'd never be able to tell if the dogs had brought them in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 06:54 AM

889 posts, read 1,418,809 times
You all reminded me: I had a tick stuck on the side of my "cheek" one morning when I woke up.
Dashdog, that is funny about Jazz spotting "evil" ticks (and moles.)

Old 06-01-2010, 04:23 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,474,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityflair View Post
You all reminded me: I had a tick stuck on the side of my "cheek" one morning when I woke up.
Dashdog, that is funny about Jazz spotting "evil" ticks (and moles.)
It is like Jazz has tick Phobia say the word "tick' around her is like saying the word " snake" around me. We both start looking around for the evil being and while I do not scream or run my skin just sort of crawls when I see a snake. I will stand and watch it but am ready to move and don't even ask me to touch it so that is how she is about ticks or possible ticks.Got to check them out but stay far enough away too.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:11 PM

154 posts, read 194,728 times
My 2 corgis get ticks on them and they just go in a fenced yard. Just have to check them when they come back in house.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:25 PM

2,318 posts, read 430,491 times
Flea busters also kill the good insects and thats a problem if you have an organic garden like we do .

We do use seven dust in the dog houses and it workd if we keep it under the pine straw . Dead ticks can't bire and we see dead tics on the dog all the time . Dog house is a fair distance from or garden .

Old 06-01-2010, 08:34 PM

2,318 posts, read 430,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Last month when the yard was a bogg of clover and assorted plants no lawnmower could hack, I found ticks on me several times. Knowing they are there I wear clothes that cover my lower have while in the yard. If you go somewhere you know there are ticks, not only check the dogs but your clothes. They hitch hike too.

One neighbor of mine last house went up to the mountians, where the ticks in Socal carry lots of things, and brought his two dogs home without having them bathed first. He got the neighborhood full of them. So if your dog goes off on wooded places its especially important for you and the dog to check before home.

I am going to try Frontline Plus over the other stuff this summer even if it misses some of the fleas if it kills ticks. That in the end is far more likely to create problems. My black long haired cats could have a ton of them hiding in that fur and you'd never be able to tell if the dogs had brought them in.
In 1978 my first cousin who lived in a major city outside Atlanta Ga.,had no animals . Lost her only child to Rocky Spotted Mtn. Fever , the little girl was 3 years old . By the time the dr realized what it was it was too late

I usually wear socks with pants tucked under them . I also spray dog tic spray on my shoes .

Ticks are really bad this year .My son came down and we went for walk in woods, we both came back loaded with seed tics ! He had international flight and found one on his arm, he said he itched the whole week after that .

No more walks in the woods , seems I'd learn by now !

Old 06-01-2010, 09:54 PM

592 posts, read 852,765 times
Just to put my two cents in AGAIN .....(and I'm only doing it because I care about you guys.)

Frontline Plus works great for us, too, no ticks, no fleas, no heartworm.

And, I too, think late spring is the very worst time because I just read that it is in some publication or another, so that's right now. Be extra careful for your furry friend's sake as well as your own!

To whoever said they planned to bring their dog to the beach instead of the woods I just wanted to say that if the beach has any grassy or weedy areas be careful. Our last dog used to pick up ticks at the beach all the time.

I'm concerned about the few people who said their dog's ticks fell off, but they were filled with blood. That means the ticks bit the dog first which would be the way for their dog to get Lyme Disease if they're in a Lyme Disease area. So, I hope they don't think their dog was protected from that happening just because the ticks dropped off afterward.

And, lastly, I'd be concerned if I was finding "only big ticks on myself" because if they're there I'd think that the period size ones could be there, also. Maybe they're just not being seen. So, please if you see ANY ticks on you or in your home, please double check. If you've got deer, especially, in your area (although they can live on other animals as well) it's likely that you have the small ticks around, too. They're just very hard to spot. But, they're the ones that carry the worst disease.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:54 PM

8,310 posts, read 19,916,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrandall64 View Post
I was walking in an area next to a golf course in Fort Ord CA an old Army Base where there are old trees and bushes, very dry area, and let my dogs run free. When I got home I did not think or never though I would have to check my dogs for ticks. So, I drove to the corner store and came back home. After an hour I seen something on my dog and it was a tick and then I looked her all over. I then rushed to my other dog and one was on him. I started freakin out and booted up the computer to get information on the different types and was wigging out as I researched on the computer. I am very confused because they never had a tick on them so now I am worried if any fell off in the house. Is it possible?
It is possible, but not too likely to get a tick infestation in your house.

Ticks need to feed for longer than a couple of hours before they have a meal sufficient for propagation. Keep checking the dogs for the next couple of days. They have a funny way of turning up in spots on the dog that you were satisfied were tick free.

If it helps, my dog has worn a lot of ticks into my house and probably had a few that I have completely missed. No one in my family has ever been bitten by a tick in our house nor seen one in the house that wasn't on the dog or drowning in a cup of soapy water.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:53 PM

6 posts, read 10,406 times
Exclamation Tick bite patient living in SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrandall64 View Post
I was walking in an area next to a golf course in Fort Ord CA an old Army Base where there are old trees and bushes, very dry area, and let my dogs run free. When I got home I did not think or never though I would have to check my dogs for ticks. So, I drove to the corner store and came back home. After an hour I seen something on my dog and it was a tick and then I looked her all over. I then rushed to my other dog and one was on him. I started freakin out and booted up the computer to get information on the different types and was wigging out as I researched on the computer. I am very confused because they never had a tick on them so now I am worried if any fell off in the house. Is it possible?

I am from SC and visited my son in Chapel Hill and he has a wooded lot. We took our aging golden retriever with us. This was memorial day weekend (2010). My dog takes monthly oral meds for heartworms and flea/tick control, yet we found an unattached small tick on her. We thought no more of it after we easily removed and flushed this bad guy. My husband works in another city 4 days of the week, and about 2 weeks after this trip, I spotted my back in the mirror and thought I had a black mole that had gone bad. My eyes are bad, and I could not reach this with my hand. I used a back scratcher as it was itching like the devil and this caused bleeding, and that's what caused me to look in the mirror. I went to the dermatologist who worked me in when I described this "melanoma mole." They got really excited in the exam and almost shouted, "IT'S AN ATTACHED TICK!!!!!" It had a deeply red (raw roast red) area about the size of a golf ball around this bite, and the doctor surgically removed the mouth parts that were clamped into my skin. I have been through a round of doxycyline antibiotics, called in and gotten high level itch cream. Here it is 7/9/10 and the thing is itching on a level that nothing works and I can't sleep at night...making me CRAZY. I called back to the doctor and they told me to come in right away. My car was in the shop, could not go today. They are working me in on Monday. Gave me instructions to go to the ER if I start running a fever or get the sweats.

Advice: If you get a tick bite, it is VERY important to save the tick and get a really close look at the back side of it. Then go online and google tick species and find out if it is a dog tick or a deer tick. In SC people don't have much Lyme disease. I am not sure about getting bitten in NC. You might google "incidence of Lyme disease in NC.). Even if you are bitten by a dog tick, don't mess around. Lyme disease is the most famous tick problem, but they carry many organisms that can make you sick, and you can get sick weeks later after the bite. There is much on google about very prolonged, hard to treat, intense itching from dog ticks. Be aware, and know that even your dogs can suffer like all get out after a tick is removed...watch those bite sites after the removal and be aware. If they have places that look like fire ant bites, I would take the dog/s to the vet. Check them often, and keep them out of the woods as much as possible during tick season. Respond and let me know if this has been helpful. Good luck. I have found via google that even deet products for repellant don't work all that great.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:16 PM

29,990 posts, read 18,675,335 times
Adams Flea and Tick Products
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs