U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 05:23 AM

26,349 posts, read 24,507,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Well, they all say it's still just a guess and there are mitigating factors such as older dogs who have better teeth than most. My cocker spaniel acted and looked like a puppy at the age of 13 - exactly the same way she did when I got her as a puppy - she had a long lasting puppy face and energy. She is sixteen now and her teeth are great and you would never be able to go off of that alone to determine her age. She is getting the opaque eyes now and is losing her balance and muscle control in her hind quarters. But nothing like this happened until she turned 16.
I definately agree....my dog is all white, his teeth were professionally cleaned before I adopted him...and he isn't interested in playing at all, doesn't know how, but does love to run around my dinning room table....I've been giving him Cosequin and also, The Missing Link Plus, which I think makes a huge difference, plus he gets tripe and Taste of the wild canned meat, along with a mixture of cooked yams, brown rice, green beans, carrots and brocolli, morning and night, and in the summer I add blueberries....

I really do believe since he was abused...dreadfully and he's so appreciative. He's really changed a lot....and much more trusting....
He's definately not a butt sniffer, nor does he give kisses, only occassionally, I think he forgets himself, but honestly, I really do think he was cracked around...cuz he's so patient, and quiet....and it's just not normal for a dog not to lick? I have to correct that, b/c he seems to be doing it more and more, like when I come home from work, he's happy to see me, I pick him up and he'll lick me once...and very gently...but I do believe someone cracked him for doing that...

another time, came home from work, and was putting my sweats on, and put my hand down on the bed to brace myself and he ducked, it broke my heart so I picked him up and loved him....it's a shame how some people treat they're dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 08:40 AM

4,334 posts, read 12,223,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I definately agree....my dog is all white, his teeth were professionally cleaned before I adopted him...and he isn't interested in playing at all, doesn't know how, but does love to run around my dinning room table....I've been giving him Cosequin and also, The Missing Link Plus, which I think makes a huge difference, plus he gets tripe and Taste of the wild canned meat, along with a mixture of cooked yams, brown rice, green beans, carrots and brocolli, morning and night, and in the summer I add blueberries....

I really do believe since he was abused...dreadfully and he's so appreciative. He's really changed a lot....and much more trusting....
He's definately not a butt sniffer, nor does he give kisses, only occassionally, I think he forgets himself, but honestly, I really do think he was cracked around...cuz he's so patient, and quiet....and it's just not normal for a dog not to lick? I have to correct that, b/c he seems to be doing it more and more, like when I come home from work, he's happy to see me, I pick him up and he'll lick me once...and very gently...but I do believe someone cracked him for doing that...

another time, came home from work, and was putting my sweats on, and put my hand down on the bed to brace myself and he ducked, it broke my heart so I picked him up and loved him....it's a shame how some people treat they're dogs.
OMG, I cried sad and happy tears at the same time while reading your comment. Your doggie was so lucky to have found his way into your home and heart! God bless you Creme!

It breaks my heart to know how many thousands of dogs live with some kind of abuse/neglect everyday and it goes unnoticed and never found.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:51 AM

4,348 posts, read 2,549,732 times
My heart just breaks when I think of any animal getting abused !!! How can people be so mean is beyond my grasp. This is why I feel so strongly about rescue/shelter animals........they deserve much more than what life has dished out to them so far.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:54 PM

25,953 posts, read 26,761,579 times
Quote:

You may very well have a dog which was abused, but there is an equal chance that it wasn't. I had 3 dogs all at the same time of different breeds. The shar-pei was the most kissable and was always giving out a smooch to everyone.

She was, however not overly affectionate in terms of wanted to be all over me.
Conversely, the cocker spaniel was very affectionate and loved laying on you or cuddling, but was not one for kisses. Even if I went to give her a kiss on the head, she would pull away and still does. She just never liked it and would flinch as a pup to the point my girlfriend (knowing better) said, did you beat this poor dog? Never ever and I'd had her since she was a puppy.She was very attached to attention though. I would give them both bones and the Shar Pei would come up to me to be petted and when the Cocker would see this, she would drop her bone and come running over and then the Shar Pei would run over and steal her bone....smart cookie. That Shar Pei knew psychological warfare.

The other contributing factor with the Cocker's behavior is she was here as a playmate to the Shar-pei and then about a year later the Shar-pei was hit and killed by a truck and the cocker was NEVER the same after that. I got another Shar Pei and she wanted absolutely nothing to do with that dog. Here is her photo with the first Shar pei and never again would she allow any dog to get close to her.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:01 AM

2,806 posts, read 6,521,341 times
Thursday007, that pic of them snuggled up together makes my heart just MELT to the core...it makes me want to shrink myself, go back in time, and snuggle right in with them!

I'm so, so sorry that your beautiful Shar-pei was killed by a truck...that is gut-wrenching.
I had 2 cats who grew up together and snuggled like that, and when the male passed away, the female was completely devastated...anyone who says "animals don't grieve" has clearly never understood or witnessed the deep bonds they share with each other.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
You may very well have a dog which was abused, but there is an equal chance that it wasn't. I had 3 dogs all at the same time of different breeds. The shar-pei was the most kissable and was always giving out a smooch to everyone.

She was, however not overly affectionate in terms of wanted to be all over me.
Conversely, the cocker spaniel was very affectionate and loved laying on you or cuddling, but was not one for kisses. Even if I went to give her a kiss on the head, she would pull away and still does. She just never liked it and would flinch as a pup to the point my girlfriend (knowing better) said, did you beat this poor dog? Never ever and I'd had her since she was a puppy.She was very attached to attention though. I would give them both bones and the Shar Pei would come up to me to be petted and when the Cocker would see this, she would drop her bone and come running over and then the Shar Pei would run over and steal her bone....smart cookie. That Shar Pei knew psychological warfare.

The other contributing factor with the Cocker's behavior is she was here as a playmate to the Shar-pei and then about a year later the Shar-pei was hit and killed by a truck and the cocker was NEVER the same after that. I got another Shar Pei and she wanted absolutely nothing to do with that dog. Here is her photo with the first Shar pei and never again would she allow any dog to get close to her.
awww, I'm so sorry....a very heart breaking story

thank you for the pics

how big do shar-peis get?

Old 04-19-2011, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
Thursday007, that pic of them snuggled up together makes my heart just MELT to the core...it makes me want to shrink myself, go back in time, and snuggle right in with them!

I'm so, so sorry that your beautiful Shar-pei was killed by a truck...that is gut-wrenching.
I had 2 cats who grew up together and snuggled like that, and when the male passed away, the female was completely devastated...anyone who says "animals don't grieve" has clearly never understood or witnessed the deep bonds they share with each other.

Animals do understand...I had a male doberman, well, actually several for many years....the male adopted my son as his, and when my son left for the service, that male slept on his empty bed all the time, and was never the same.....so yes, they do absolutely know...

Old 04-19-2011, 05:54 AM

7,330 posts, read 13,232,101 times
What a beautiful picture and a sad story! My heart goes out to all of you.
I love, love, love Shar Peis. They all seem to have something just a little quirky about them that makes them special.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:55 AM

Quote:
awww, I'm so sorry....a very heart breaking story

thank you for the pics

how big do shar-peis get?
Thanks.

Shar-peis get about knee high and are pretty compact - a medium sized dog, but they are extremely strong and musculer like Mastiffs. Mine went to hug my mom and knocked her over the coffee table once and pinned her against the wall trying to get to her face to give her a kiss.

They are related the the Chow-Chow and have blue tongues. They come in all different colors with the rarest being Lilac.

PUPPY

ADULT

http://www.k9stud.com/images/BlueDragonSharPei/BlueDragonSharPei_PlatinumExpressanditsHOT!.jpg (broken link)

http://dogtime.com/system/gallery_pictures/150/large/Shar-Pei-1-picture.jpg?1237569328 (broken link)

Old 04-19-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
What a beautiful picture and a sad story! My heart goes out to all of you.
I love, love, love Shar Peis. They all seem to have something just a little quirky about them that makes them special.
They do have interesting personalities and I just love them. I was surprised when I discovered they are relatively new to this country only brought here in 1972. The only downside is they are not known for their longevity -anything can happen after 9 years and they can get this blistering skin problem.

Here's my last one - hiding under the coffe table watching me read on the sofa.

I've always had a liking to the Fawn colored ones. This is a picture of a couple Lilac ones which can run $1000s and are rarely, if ever, found in a rescue program.

I have a mixed shar pei breed rescue at the moment who, I swear, was born trained. I taught that dog nothing and she knows everything. When I'm fostering I'll tell her, "Go get 'em and bring 'em in" and she'd immediately go out the dog door and come back with all the dogs and puppies. Just smart as a whip. Mutts always are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or