U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 05:47 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,813,863 times

Advertisements

Take your dog to get the Cainine Good Citizen test, once you have that certificate, it will help.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:24 PM

553 posts, read 1,102,854 times
I don't know about the CGC helping. When I moved to NC with my GSD/Lab, I brought his CGC certificate, his SPCA therapy dog certificate and a letter from his daycare saying what a total marshmallow my boy is and a few apartment complexes still denied us because he was a GSD.

I find it interesting that the majority of the breeds on that list were large breed dogs...a little doggie discrimination?

Old 07-14-2010, 09:28 AM

3,593 posts, read 10,645,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky Prof View Post
I don't know about the CGC helping. When I moved to NC with my GSD/Lab, I brought his CGC certificate, his SPCA therapy dog certificate and a letter from his daycare saying what a total marshmallow my boy is and a few apartment complexes still denied us because he was a GSD.

I find it interesting that the majority of the breeds on that list were large breed dogs...a little doggie discrimination?
I call it stereotyping or profiling. Its no different that attributing specific bad traits to ALL of a specific race, religion, gender or nationality. I'm sure everyone knows what I mean without my giving any specific examples. The same people that scream against profiling and discrimination for humans are the same ones screaming that all Pitties, Rotties, GSDs and an assortment of other breeds are no good and need to be banned. Hypocrites - that's what they are

Old 07-14-2010, 01:40 PM

553 posts, read 1,102,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
I call it stereotyping or profiling. Its no different that attributing specific bad traits to ALL of a specific race, religion, gender or nationality. I'm sure everyone knows what I mean without my giving any specific examples. The same people that scream against profiling and discrimination for humans are the same ones screaming that all Pitties, Rotties, GSDs and an assortment of other breeds are no good and need to be banned. Hypocrites - that's what they are
Amen to that!!!

Old 07-14-2010, 04:59 PM

29 posts, read 182,771 times
We have owned German Shepherd Dogs for 30 plus years. Our home is on 5 acres in a rural area. ALL of our neighbors on this country road have had break-ins over the years - some more than once. We have never lost as much as a screwdriver.

GSDs are the best solution to protecting your property from vandals and thieves. It is about time that insurance companies realize this. They should offer a discount !!

Apart of being great protectors of their territory, German Shepherds are the most sensitive and loveable companions - intelligent and self-assured.

One of our puppies died from the afteraffects of the dogfood poisoning. It was a heartbreaking experience. She was only 8 months old and loved everyone - what a waste.

We have another female right now and all her meals are home cooked. If you have owned German Shepherd dogs, you know they have sensitive digestive systems. Strange or unusual foods will cause diarrhea.

Home cooking completely eliminates this problem. Ask your vet. Please do not feed your GSD commercial kibbles - it can kill them !!

Old 11-16-2010, 03:17 PM

3 posts, read 4,169 times
Where did this list come from?

Old 11-16-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by litha View Post
Where did this list come from?
From insurance companies. They excuse it by saying that it mitigates their risk and keeps premiums low. What it actually is is another way for them to have an excuse to line their pockets and provide less coverage.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:23 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,711,255 times
the list has since expanded and yes you will still find breeds like springers, pugs, frenchies...

my landlord when i lived with my boyfriend actaully had issues getting us renters insurance because my dogs have "chinese" in their name (cresties) and all 'chinese" dogs are dangerous...

its just plain ridiculous! breed bans effect EVERYONE....
first its "pit bulls" then its dogs that look like thye could possibly be pitbulls...and all bully breeds, now the list is 100+ long and grows daily.

i saw standard poodle on one insurance companies list of uninsurable breeds.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
first its "pit bulls"
Actually the first I remember is the stigma of GSDs back in the seventies. It then went to Dobies....then Rotties....then Chows....and now Bully breeds. Its all stereotyping and media hype

Old 11-17-2010, 02:42 PM

7,376 posts, read 12,852,885 times
It seems like if the dog can not fit in your hand they will ban it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or