Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 12:34 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,287,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
He is a dog, right.
So that means I'm supposed to shove him in a cage all day and be happy about it? Or leave him alone in the yard all day, unsupervised? You're fine with leaving yours in a cage or outside all day, alone. I'm not. Let's leave it at that. Forgive me for treating mine like a family member and not just a dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 12:42 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,269 times
MAK, I agree with you. I would never leave my dogs, and would never leave PC either!!

I will never understand the "just a dog" thing but I would rather not even start a conversation with people who believe this is right. I tried before and it was a huuuge waste of my time. Now, I just don't bother.

Anyway, for the record, I totally agree with you on this one.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
MAK, I agree with you. I would never leave my dogs, and would never leave PC either!!

I will never understand the "just a dog" thing but I would rather not even start a conversation with people who believe this is right. I tried before and it was a huuuge waste of my time. Now, I just don't bother.

Anyway, for the record, I totally agree with you on this one.
I think the quote below my name says it all! I truly believe that I treat my dog better than many people treat their human kids. It saddens me when dogs are just dogs to so many. This poem sums it up perfectly. My "just a dog" puts a huge smile on my face every single day. I love him to death! I actually feel sorry for those that don't know the true love and happiness a dog can bring. It's not "just a dog!"

Just a Dog

Old 06-08-2010, 12:52 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,269 times
In my eyes, PC gives you a lot of love and would do anything for you. Not everybody is appreciative of the wonderful love dogs give us. The ones who are, lucky them.

You give him love and attention bc you love him a lot, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

And if I may, "It's not just a dog, it is MY dog!" (so excuse me but I will spoil him as much as I would like to)

Old 06-08-2010, 01:35 PM

36,520 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
So that means I'm supposed to shove him in a cage all day and be happy about it? Or leave him alone in the yard all day, unsupervised? You're fine with leaving yours in a cage or outside all day, alone. I'm not. Let's leave it at that. Forgive me for treating mine like a family member and not just a dog.
I didnt mean to offend you. Sorry you cant take a joke. Everyone has their own way. For the record I never said "just a dog". But dogs are not humans and I believe they enjoy being dogs and doing dog things. And I never suggested you "shove him in a cage all day".

2 of min are in a kennel that is approximately 24 ft. X 10 ft. when Im at work not a cage and they are not alone. they also enjoy being outside most of the time especially in the summer. Forgive me for letting mine be dogs and not forcing them to conform to the human condition.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:40 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,540,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I didnt mean to offend you. Sorry you cant take a joke. Everyone has their own way. For the record I never said "just a dog". But dogs are not humans and I believe they enjoy being dogs and doing dog things. And I never suggested you "shove him in a cage all day".

2 of min are in a kennel that is approximately 24 ft. X 10 ft. when Im at work not a cage and they are not alone. they also enjoy being outside most of the time especially in the summer. Forgive me for letting mine be dogs and not forcing them to conform to the human condition.
So it's ok to keep a dog outside in the middle of the summer in unbearable heat?

Old 06-08-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_mac View Post
So it's ok to keep a dog outside in the middle of the summer in unbearable heat?
Unbearable heat, ave. 80F? Its ok for me to leave my animals outside during the day and most times at night during the summer. Actually it is hotter in my house during the summer than outside. They are under the trees (dog houses available) in the shade with a nice breese and a kiddy pool. They are animals designed to withstand the out of doors as are the cats, horses, goats, chickens and turkeys.

Heck, my bf and son work in the "unbearable heat" during the summer.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:09 PM

Not all breeds can withstand the outdoors, as you put it. I have a Bulldog that is extremely sensitive to heat (anything over 75, really) and extreme cold. He just does not do well, which is why we don't venture out until around 7pm, when I know he won't die of heat stroke. I know Pugs, French Bulldogs, and boxers are other breeds that are extremely heat sensitive, among others. So not all dogs are "designed" to withstand being left outside all day, nor should they be.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:38 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,678,621 times
This is getting so off the wall because some of you are not READING what people are saying but responding to what you do and believe. Take my response, it was answering what my dogs do, and that is I adjusted by property and house to their needs as well as my needs. I give them access to inside and outside. If I didn't have outside access, I would have to seriously consider if what I'm doing (keeping them from having the ability to pee when they need to pee) is in their best interest.

If they had outside access but not the ability to have a safe and healthy place to get in out of the elements, I would have to take into consideration if keeping them outside was in their best interest as well. Since the summers can get very hot and dry, unless I provided a climate controlled location for them, keeping them outside was just as cruel as keeping them confined to a crate to satisfy my needs only. So i compromised and got a place that could accommodate all our needs together.

But my second part was about crating, NOT a pen, not a kennel, not this or that, but a crate. I stand by my position that confining a dog to a crate for many hours at a time because you can't handle the fact that they are a dog and need to act like dogs, and you don’t want to have to deal with dog behavior, is cruel to the dog. Some people will flip out over this because someone convinced them it was alright for the dog. What they really convinced you is that it’s alright for you to believe it’s alright for the dog so you don’t have to face if you’re being cruel or not. I am not talking about pens or kennels or inside/outside access, I’m talking crating!

Old 06-08-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Not all breeds can withstand the outdoors, as you put it. I have a Bulldog that is extremely sensitive to heat (anything over 75, really) and extreme cold. He just does not do well, which is why we don't venture out until around 7pm, when I know he won't die of heat stroke. I know Pugs, French Bulldogs, and boxers are other breeds that are extremely heat sensitive, among others. So not all dogs are "designed" to withstand being left outside all day, nor should they be.
I agree. I am speaking of my dogs. I believe the question was "where does your dog stay". Never did I jump on anyone for keeping their dogs indoors or say it was wrong. Generally, animals are naturally designed for their environment. When humans selectively breed or modify an animals physical attributes and environment it is expected that their "habitat" must accommodate those changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs