U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 07:06 PM

417 posts, read 563,900 times

Advertisements

you're walking your dogs on leash, and dogs off leash come running up?

The dogs that come running up seem more aggressive because they want to know who is walking in front of their house. My dogs are more defensive because of the attitude of the other dogs and because they are on the leash and aren't free to do all the sniff-sniff and running around. It seems every time I'm in this situation, the dogs end up growling and snapping at one another. The people are embarrassed. I don't know if I should drop the leashes and let them sniff or just pull my dogs back and keep walking ahead. Any situation - it's a loss for me!

I was in this situation tonight as I was walking my dogs. I ended up dropping the leash of my lab-shep mix and holding the leash of my beagle. There were 2 boxers and a medium sized poodle that came running up. They all sniffed with raised hackles. Then the boxers ran back to the yard when the owner called them. The poodle kept onto my big dog and he growled and snapped at her. I screamed his name to make him stop, and he listened, then I continued on. I am really embarrassed that I yelled for all the neighbors to hear. I feel bad for the poodle. My dh said I should have just pulled them back and kept walking, and that I shouldn't have yelled. But in the past when I've done that, there always seems to be a tussle. The problem mostly lies with my big dog. Dogs seem to be more aggressive toward him and not my beagle. Please help!

As an aside, I don't really fault the neighbors for their dogs running toward us. It happens. I just want to know, as someone walking my own dogs, what I should do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 07:38 PM

16,587 posts, read 20,285,471 times
To paraphrase T.R.: "Walk softly and carry a big stick."

Old 06-08-2010, 08:15 PM

5,045 posts, read 8,364,389 times
Don't be embarrassed, you did nothing wrong. Were you in a place that off-leash dogs are allowed or did your neighbors break leash laws? I've reported mine in the past and will do so every single time their dog runs up to mine when we're out. We have strict leash laws and more than enough dog parks, so there is no excuse to come upon unleashed dogs. I've had enough and from now on, report every single time. You might also want to get doggie mace at Petco/PetSmart. It's the stuff mailmen carry and would give you time to get away should the dogs get aggressive. I cannot stand irresponsible dog owners.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:23 PM

9,700 posts, read 6,978,281 times
I am always a bit worried when an off the leash dog is around my dog. I would rather keep hold of my dog's leash and keep walking. I think allowing the dogs to sniff one another is only encouraging interaction, which could turn ugly, why chance it. you should in charge of your walks, not your dog or the neighbor's dog. just like if the dog saw a cat they wanted to chase, take charge, say no and keep walking down the street.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:01 PM

418 posts, read 703,282 times
My boxer is dog aggressive and it makes me mad to NO END when peoples dogs go running loose.
Funny story. There is a Pomerian that lives at the end of my moms street. The owners have absolutely NO control over her and she was always loose, they would be out with her but when we would walk by she would charge us. The owners would calmly yell "Nee-nee, nee-nee, nee-nee" as Charlie would try and eat Nee-nee. This happened every time we walked. So once when it happened there were police officers parked about 15 feet away. Me and my mom started screaming for help. lmao. The police came and gave them a ticket for an unleased dog. hahaha

Note-----They did not learn their lesson. She still goes unleased.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Were you in a place that off-leash dogs are allowed or did your neighbors break leash laws?
My neighbor was in his garage and the dogs were with him, then the dogs ran out to the street when they saw us. I don't think he was letting them run loose in the yard without supervision. I think he was just in his garage getting something, had the door open, and the dogs came running out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui
I would rather keep hold of my dog's leash and keep walking. I think allowing the dogs to sniff one another is only encouraging interaction, which could turn ugly, why chance it. you should in charge of your walks, not your dog or the neighbor's dog. just like if the dog saw a cat they wanted to chase, take charge, say no and keep walking down the street
This makes total sense. I should be in charge. I will do that next time - thank you. I may not be able to avoid a dog fight but at least I'll be in charge of the situation. Tonight I was completely not in control. I am really glad my kids were not with me.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:24 AM

205 posts, read 354,421 times
If you don't want to carry doggy mace, try a very loud canned air horn. When they come near you let a big blast go. One - the neighbors will be alerted, and two - the aggressor dog should be surprised. Have a good hold of your dogs leash if and when you should do it. Because your dog will be startled too.

I know a lady who runs a "no cage" dog care center and that is one of her most useful gadgets for breaking up any incidents before they become incidents.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:30 AM

3,388 posts, read 8,058,855 times
I usually put MY dog on a sit stay [sit is a calming signal] and tell the approaching dog "no" and "go away" in a harsh voice. That usually works. I don't just want to walk through because the offending dog then "wins" as they "chased us off". My dogs will stay in the presence of a barking dog. That is something fenced dogs are real good for in terms of training opportunities.

I would have no reservations about kicking the approaching dog and hard if need be. I once got a very dirty look because someones cute little doxie flew out of nowhere into my dogs face and my dog snapped at her and sent the thing screaming and I did not freak out at my dog. My dog was on lead. What the heck do people expect?

Honestly, I don't even walk my dogs in my own neighborhood because people let their kids walk the dogs and some of these dogs charge me even without my dog. We live in a decent neighborhood but one dog tore into another [that dog was known to be dog agressive yet the parent let the 11 year old kid walk it because it had a prong] Well now that dog is in "obedience school" and the dog that was attacked is nervious and defensive. Imagine that. I do walk with a stick.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:08 AM

8,310 posts, read 21,556,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I usually put MY dog on a sit stay [sit is a calming signal] and tell the approaching dog "no" and "go away" in a harsh voice. That usually works. I don't just want to walk through because the offending dog then "wins" as they "chased us off". My dogs will stay in the presence of a barking dog. That is something fenced dogs are real good for in terms of training opportunities.

I would have no reservations about kicking the approaching dog and hard if need be. I once got a very dirty look because someones cute little doxie flew out of nowhere into my dogs face and my dog snapped at her and sent the thing screaming and I did not freak out at my dog. My dog was on lead. What the heck do people expect?

Honestly, I don't even walk my dogs in my own neighborhood because people let their kids walk the dogs and some of these dogs charge me even without my dog. We live in a decent neighborhood but one dog tore into another [that dog was known to be dog agressive yet the parent let the 11 year old kid walk it because it had a prong] Well now that dog is in "obedience school" and the dog that was attacked is nervious and defensive. Imagine that. I do walk with a stick.
This is almost word-for-word what I was going to say. If I think we may have a problem with a loose dog my dog goes to heel and I focus on him until I know he's under control, then I put on a poker face and try to squeeze some "unwelcome" out of my pores at the other dog. It usually works, but I don't have a problem using my end of the leash as a lash if the other dog doesn't take a hint.

Oddly enough, the hardest thing for my dog to deal with is another golden in the neighborhood. They seem to spot eachother about 100 yards away and turn into a pair of tail-wagging basketcases.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:26 PM

Thanks for all of your input. It is crazy that I am nervous to walk my dogs now in my own neighborhood. I would really love to take my kids and dogs for a walk all together, but I can't. With three dogs charging at me, I just can't risk it. I might take a walking stick with me next time. Problem is - it is tough to control two leashes as it is without having something extra to carry around. But I also might kick a dog away next time if needed. I feel as though, if I am the leader, I should also be the protector. I don't think it's fair for my dogs to not be able to defend themselves because I'm pulling them on the leash. I found a bite on my big dog yesterday where one of the dogs actually broke his skin and he bled. Dogs are dogs and I don't want to overthink this or make it into more than it is, but it does stink that this situation happens. Next time I'll buck up and be strong about getting them away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs