Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 06:28 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times

Advertisements

Am considering adopting a retired drug detection dog from one of the local P.D.'s around here. Would be either a lab, golden, or shepherd 5-7 years old. Has anyone had any experience with this? Anything unique about owning one versus other dogs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 06:37 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
Have not had experience but was watching "Southland" tv show. One of the cops wifes was walking the retired police dog and it attacked some druggie kid because he had pot in his backpack. Your question made me think back to that show

Old 06-14-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Have not had experience but was watching "Southland" tv show. One of the cops wifes was walking the retired police dog and it attacked some druggie kid because he had pot in his backpack. Your question made me think back to that show
Fortunately I think these dogs are trained just to take notice of the drugs, not attack the perps.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:04 AM

355 posts, read 911,849 times
That was going to be my next question, are these dogs only drug dogs or are the multi purpose. If they are trained in other working areas make sure you have the time to continue working these dogs in some form of work/training. They need jobs to do even up in age.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krsheely View Post
That was going to be my next question, are these dogs only drug dogs or are the multi purpose. If they are trained in other working areas make sure you have the time to continue working these dogs in some form of work/training. They need jobs to do even up in age.
I think this is all they do but I guess I could keep her/him busy checking people's bags as we walked around town.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:30 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
I have a friend who runs a company with both bomb and drug detection dogs. I have "dog-sat" for them. Completely normal dogs...just that they have a very distinctive job to do. He has a gazillion stories about the drug dog alerting when he is not on "duty".

Old 06-14-2010, 11:39 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
Many departments retire the dogs with their handlers. At least I know ours did. All of our guys kept the dogs and they went from working dogs to pets. Great with families, wonderfully trained dogs, but keep in mind they are working dogs. They're never going to be strictly couch potatoes. They're incredibly intelligent and you'll need to spend time with them daily on training and such.

A co-worker adopted one locally where I live now. She had to jump through major hoops to get him. The department did background checks on her as well as home visits and vet reference checks. Didn't hurt that her nephew was a member of the department. To get one from any decent department you'll need a glowing reference from multiple people. Once approved she had to attend 3 months of a handling course with him and his handler. Then she was allowed to take him home.

Even after she took him home, and even though her nephew was in the department, they did continual follow up appointments and attended most vet appointments with her. They were very hands on with the adoption and made sure he was properly cared for all his life and that she wasn't making any bad decisions or being lax in her training / care of him.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:54 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Many departments retire the dogs with their handlers. At least I know ours did. All of our guys kept the dogs and they went from working dogs to pets. Great with families, wonderfully trained dogs, but keep in mind they are working dogs. They're never going to be strictly couch potatoes. They're incredibly intelligent and you'll need to spend time with them daily on training and such.

A co-worker adopted one locally where I live now. She had to jump through major hoops to get him. The department did background checks on her as well as home visits and vet reference checks. Didn't hurt that her nephew was a member of the department. To get one from any decent department you'll need a glowing reference from multiple people. Once approved she had to attend 3 months of a handling course with him and his handler. Then she was allowed to take him home.

Even after she took him home, and even though her nephew was in the department, they did continual follow up appointments and attended most vet appointments with her. They were very hands on with the adoption and made sure he was properly cared for all his life and that she wasn't making any bad decisions or being lax in her training / care of him.
I can't imagine a handler giving up his "partner"!

Old 06-14-2010, 12:26 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
I can't imagine a handler giving up his "partner"!
Ours never did, ever. Those were their best friends, their back up unit. They relied on each other for their lives. Not only would they give them up, their wives never would have stood for it. I was shocked when my co-worker told me she'd adopted one. Impressed though with how thorough they were with his re-homing.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Ours never did, ever. Those were their best friends, their back up unit. They relied on each other for their lives. Not only would they give them up, their wives never would have stood for it. I was shocked when my co-worker told me she'd adopted one. Impressed though with how thorough they were with his re-homing.
Some handlers can't or don't want to keep multiple dogs so they do sometimes need to be placed. Keep in mind these type of dog live about 15 years and are retired at 5-7 so every handler would end up with 2 or 3 dogs at a time if they didn't. Many people don't care to maintain more than one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs