U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 09:10 PM

1,979 posts, read 983,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth07 View Post
It depends on why you are coming here, and for what. I will say that most people are disappointed after arriving here. If you are used to a city with lots of different people and all kinds of things going on, this isn't it. Duluth has long been known for being 'at the end of the line' - Interstate 35 begins/ends here. We aren't on the way to anyplace, and nobody ends up here by accident. Mostly people know someone here or have lived here before, and it's hard to convince someone to come here when it's so cut off from other large metro areas (Minneapolis being around 3 hours, Chicago being 7-8).

If you are single, don't waste your time here. This is a city for couples with kids...it's evident everywhere you look...whether it's local tv programs, restaurants, activities...there is little to nothing for single adults without kids to do here, and as nice as people with kids are, it's very hard to break into friendship circles when you're the only one single and without kids. The people are nice, there are some good universities here with great programs, but if my family wasn't from here, I would be gone by now. The other thing is, yes, it is cheaper to live here, but that's what makes it hard to leave: if you don't have much money at the moment, and figure it's going to cost quite a bit more to live somewhere else, you have to really plan 6-12 months in advance and save your money before trying it out somewhere else. Just my 2c.
The TC is about 2:20-30 drive from Duluth. It's a really, really quick trip and can be an afternoon spent on the big lake if we so choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 10:31 AM

4,064 posts, read 4,838,064 times
Ok, thought I should come back to make amends. I am the OP (please no egg throwing) and the wife and I just returned home from a 3 week vacation in MN. We visit relatives in Baudette. We drove into Canada and over to Thunder Bay for a night then down the North Shore to Duluth for a few days. We stayed on Canal Park. I have to say this trip to Duluth was a great time. The drive down the North Shore was incredibly and I got some excellent shots. Traffic was very light, at least until we got to Two Harbors then it was still fine. We never had any issues with traffic in Duluth at all. If I have any complaints it would be the lack of good breakfast places in Duluth. At least in the Canal Park area. All in all we had a great time in Duluth.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:55 AM

739 posts, read 1,624,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
If I have any complaints it would be the lack of good breakfast places in Duluth. At least in the Canal Park area.
I agree with this. I've never really been impressed with any of Canal Park's restaurants. My favorites would have to be the Thai Krathong and Green Mill, and neither of them have breakfast food. For a good breakfast you should check out the Duluth Grill or Sarah's Table. Duluth Grill was right on your way out of town if you went south on 35.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:54 PM

929 posts, read 596,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Ok, thought I should come back to make amends. I am the OP (please no egg throwing) and the wife and I just returned home from a 3 week vacation in MN. We visit relatives in Baudette. We drove into Canada and over to Thunder Bay for a night then down the North Shore to Duluth for a few days. We stayed on Canal Park. I have to say this trip to Duluth was a great time. The drive down the North Shore was incredibly and I got some excellent shots. Traffic was very light, at least until we got to Two Harbors then it was still fine. We never had any issues with traffic in Duluth at all. If I have any complaints it would be the lack of good breakfast places in Duluth. At least in the Canal Park area. All in all we had a great time in Duluth.
Well, the Hapton Inn in Canal Park's breakfast is alright.

I enjoyed the cranberry juice.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:13 PM

410 posts, read 481,552 times
I've been here for 2 months and I've been loving it so far. The university is great, and the plethora of outdoor activities in the local area is amazing. The area I'm living in could use a lot of work cosmetically (does EVERYONE drive a beater??), but there's much more important aspects of an area. I love being able to run along the Lakewalk every day.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:12 PM

12 posts, read 11,011 times
Very late to the party, but this post stands out and as a fellow Bay Area resident (born in MN) I feel I should add something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McShambles View Post
Duluth does suck. I lived there from October 2002 until May 18, 2010, returning home to the San Francisco Bay Area a few days after graduating from UWS. Duluth sucks because of the extreme cold weather, lack of ethnic diversity, the overt racism, lack of things do besides going for a walk or getting drunk. The music 'scene' consists of a narrow minded trendy clique of pretentious snobs (Pizza Luce, Beaners). Want to go to the mall? Which one? Oh yeah, there's only one and it sucks. No decent restaurants and a limited cuisine - Perkins, anyone? Or how about Hell Burgers? Or the Red Lobster? Its laughable! Lack of quality jobs... Archaic laws... Dilapidated infrastructure... And the list goes on... Why freeze to death for half the year? And why endure humidity and rain in the summer?
Let's break it down...

Extreme cold weather - Did you not realize in your move from the Bay Area to UW-Superior that there would be a rather extreme difference in climate? That said, why even bother going to Superior for school? Surely there were plenty of education options in the Bay Area.

Lack of ethnic diversity - I always wonder about people who mention this as a positive or negative when referring to a city. The ethnic population of a city is what it is. Does the fact that cities in Japan lack ethnic diversity mean they suck? Or is your concern that Duluth is 90% white?

Overt racism - There's plenty of it in the Bay Area.

Lack of things to do - I get the impression this just means lack of things you like to do.

The music and food scene - Really? You're comparing Duluth-Superior to the Bay Area? Why not also compare Duluth's music and food scene to New York City while you're at it. The comparison would be equally as silly.

Archaic laws -Not sure what laws you're referring to. Speaking of laws, California has way too many.

Quote:
Back home in San Jose, in a comfortable Mediterranean climate, I am less than 45 minutes from San Francisco, arguably one of the most beautiful cities in the world. I am 25 minutes from Santa Cruz and the ocean (yes, not a lake). In the middle of January, I can enjoy a walk outside in comfortable 65 degree weather (and thats 65 degrees above zero folks). California is the most geographically diverse state in the U.S. Thats a fact, look it up! And if I want to go for a hike, I am less than 20 minutes from lush redwood forests (Big Basin National Park) where I can hike past towering trees, taller and bigger and more awe-inspiring than anything Duluth or the rest of Minnesota can offer.
San Francisco - Might be beautiful, but the city is far from perfect. High prices, parking issues, traffic, and plenty of mentally unstable people.

Santa Cruz - If you can get to Santa Cruz from San Jose in 25 minutes I'd like to find out the route you're taking. Unless of course you're speeding over the hill on 17 at some odd time of day. And Santa Cruz isn't exactly nice, I'd call it filthy. If I want ocean, give me Half Moon Bay or Monterey before Santa Cruz.

The ocean - Yes, it's bigger than a lake, as if that makes Lake Superior something worth mocking. By the way, you might as well be swimming in Lake Superior with how cold the Pacific is in the Bay Area.

Hiking - I can imagine a friend asking you to go on a hike and your response being, "Well, there are no redwoods, so I'm not going!"

Quote:
San Jose, the 10th largest city in the U.S. is also one of the safest big cities in the U.S. As the capital of the Silicon Valley, San Jose is home to many of the high tech giants responsible for much of the modern technology that many of us use and depend on. Tomorrow, after work, I'll be enjoying some good coffee at a café downtown...outside...wearing only a t-shirt (and pants and shoes). Those of you in Duluth will most likely be shoveling snow, turning up the thermostat, talking about the top news story of the day "five year old slips on ice and sprains his ankle", shopping at the same stores and running into the same people you see everywhere, stuck in your ****ty little city, moving backwards instead of forward. Cheers!
San Jose - While it is one of the safest big cities in the U.S., it is quite often ridiculed by Bay Area residents for basically being a giant suburb lacking in character.

The news - That story about the five year old seems rather nice considering many of the news stories we're flooded with here in the Bay Area.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:24 PM

7,437 posts, read 7,615,968 times
And here I thought Duluth was the San Francisco of the Midwest

Old 02-27-2013, 06:44 PM

5 posts, read 3,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
And here I thought Duluth was the San Francisco of the Midwest
Well we're moving to Duluth this summer from Baltimore, I'm a SoCal native hubby is a Marylander, and we're looking forward to it. We're well aware that the winter will be cold and the lake is not the ocean...

A friend of ours, a MN native, told us Duluth was the Seattle of MN.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:41 PM

721 posts, read 1,669,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinfants View Post
Well we're moving to Duluth this summer from Baltimore, I'm a SoCal native hubby is a Marylander, and we're looking forward to it. We're well aware that the winter will be cold and the lake is not the ocean...

I lived in Seattle for 7 years,and I love Duluth, but if it is anything like a Pacific Northwest city, it is Tacoma.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:06 PM

12 posts, read 11,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinfants View Post

Good Because the OP clearly had no idea that the weather in Duluth would be a little bit different from the Bay Area.

I'm actually planning a Duluth visit this summer when I visit the family (they don't live in Duluth, I just think it's fun to visit)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth