Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 11:43 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,706,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Actually my wife was here for a week last fall while her Dad was in the hospital so she got to see the town quite a bit. She said she was pretty familiar with the area but she was thrown off by the const. We are staying in Canal Park and have done the Vista Fleet tour (boo-it stayed in the Harbor which due to possible bad weather so a pretty boring tour) We walked the Lake walk, ate at numerous restaurants which all were pretty bad. I'm sorry to denigrate your city as I'm sure there are many good things about it but this trip was less than acceptable. And don't fret. If you come to Northern VA and bad mouth it I will likely just agree with you.
The construction is a major pain in the rear, especially since we have to deal with not only the freeway but all the city streets within the city. It's nice to see change, but it's been a hinderance on everybody.

Hope you can come back in a few years and enjoy it.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:33 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,859,427 times
Quote:
The lack of signs all over here, to include all of MN, really sucks also. We drove the Northern Shore route yesterday and there we NO signs letting you know a scenic pullover was coming up.
If I remember right, there are some signs along the North Shore, but they're small and unintrusive. Reminded me a little of New England in that way.

Want big signs? Come to Missouri, where you'll have the entire Branson lineup memorized before you even hit town. You'll be able to recognize faces and everything!
Seriously, I'll take the small signs and scenery any day over the crap they pull down here. Missouri would be such a pretty state if you could actually see past the billboards.

I've only spent a few days in Duluth a couple of years ago. We stayed away from the interstate and liked it really well. Duluth didn't strike me as being remotely intimidating, so we just wandered around and got lost. It was rather enjoyable that way.

I agree with the food comment. That doesn't seem to be the town's strong point. Not all of it was horrible, but nothing really stood out. We'll probably branch out a little more away from the touristy stuff next time.

Last edited by northbound74; 07-15-2010 at 03:51 PM..

Old 07-15-2010, 11:07 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,061,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
Unlike your oversaturated, overpopulated Eastern Seaboard, Minnesota likes to keep it's integrity by not littering our beautiful landscape with atrocious signage. If you cannot find and navigate a map then that's YOUR problem, not Duluth's.

PS, getting to Skyline is easy as pie.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:29 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,094,488 times
Quote:
Actually my wife was here for a week last fall while her Dad was in the hospital so she got to see the town quite a bit. She said she was pretty familiar with the area but she was thrown off by the const. We are staying in Canal Park and have done the Vista Fleet tour (boo-it stayed in the Harbor which due to possible bad weather so a pretty boring tour) We walked the Lake walk, ate at numerous restaurants which all were pretty bad. I'm sorry to denigrate your city as I'm sure there are many good things about it but this trip was less than acceptable. And don't fret. If you come to Northern VA and bad mouth it I will likely just agree with you.
I'm not going to jump on you, but I do think that you should consider the fact that most of your complaints about Duluth are stemming from unforeseen circumstances that are out of anybody's control. If you came back on a good-weather day, after road construction is over, you might like it better....

Old 07-18-2010, 11:32 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,706,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
I'm not going to jump on you, but I do think that you should consider the fact that most of your complaints about Duluth are stemming from unforeseen circumstances that are out of anybody's control. If you came back on a good-weather day, after road construction is over, you might like it better....
He's from the East Coast, he doesn't know any better. At least our cities don't smell like garbage.

Old 07-18-2010, 04:21 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,239,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
No doubt you're right and I'd like to try it again one year. My wife and I fly to MN every two years to see her family. The area is a beautiful area without a doubt. IMO the coast line comes close to what the coast of Maine looks like. We spent a lot of money to spend some time there and obviously things didn't go well. Maybe next time.

Old 07-18-2010, 04:24 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,239,065 times
Quote:
He's from the East Coast, he doesn't know any better. At least our cities don't smell like garbage.
I see you don't travel much do you? I've been in cities all up and down the east coast as well as many around the US. In my opinion St. Paul/Minneapolis was no better than DC, Boston or New York. I won't even discuss Baltimore. Odor was never a problem in any of the cities. Traffic, crime and other issues were the downfall of these cities.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:17 PM

22 posts, read 70,975 times
You need to grow up here. You're no better than the OP.

Quote:

Old 07-19-2010, 08:19 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,061,874 times
Quote:
I see you don't travel much do you? I've been in cities all up and down the east coast as well as many around the US. In my opinion St. Paul/Minneapolis was no better than DC, Boston or New York. I won't even discuss Baltimore. Odor was never a problem in any of the cities. Traffic, crime and other issues were the downfall of these cities.
If you can't navigate Duluth how can you navigate DC, Boston, or New York?

Old 07-19-2010, 08:43 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,628,634 times
Quote:
It really does. The wife and I have been here a couple days now and this place really sucks. We were really looking forward to stopping here but we now absolutely regret stopping. The traffic along 35 sucks with the construction with some of the rudest damn drivers I've ever seen. And I'm from the DC area. The lack of signs all over here, to include all of MN, really sucks also. We drove the Northern Shore route yesterday and there we NO signs letting you know a scenic pullover was coming up. We tried to get to the Skyline today and every exit along 35 was closed that we needed to take. We went several miles past where we needed to be and never did find the Skyline.
Oh yeah, did I say Duluth SUCKS.
Anyone that travels today w/o GPS is a moron. A decent one can be had for a hundred bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth