U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 11:50 AM

232 posts, read 382,343 times
Default Positive Duluth

Here are some great things that I've observed here over the past decade. In the past, it was impossible to be openly gay here and happy. You just didn't say anything, and your only social place to meet other gay men was the Duluth Sauna on 1st Ave E. It's still there, but gay people in Duluth no longer feel threatened like before. Attitudes are changing here. People, for the most part, mind their own business when it comes to your personal life and respect that. There are many places where this is not the case.

I have received the best health care in Duluth bar none. In Minneapolis I had to wait for weeks to see a doctor who didn't speak English and didn't understand what my concerns were. I wasn't given any prescription for my condition and sent on my way. In Duluth I have a doctor who I know on a first name basis, he knows me very well and actually calls me back personally if I leave a message. Again, this is a lost art in many places.

While the job market here is not the greatest, as I stated previously, many employers here understand that and are very accommodating in regards to your personal situation or anything that might be affecting your work. I have never had such great supervisors here who not only were my boss, but also became my friends. Because of that, a couple jobs I had, I didn't care about my wage. I just liked being there and working with such great people.

The University here (UMD) does a lot of innovative programs in terms of educational delivery. I was the first group of students that got to take advantage of online learning, and it made the difference for me - had I not had that option, I would not have a degree today. Again, this is an example of an institution that is willing to work with you in order to attain your goals. I was lucky to be there between 2003-2007 when this was really taking off.

The social class system is not set up here as it is in Minneapolis or Phoenix. If you don't have a car, people don't gasp in shock. If you don't have a lot of money to do things, a lot of people here understand because they've been there too. There is a lot of empathy and sympathy across class lines. We are just the right size so that there isn't an overwhelming amount of extremes concentrated in one area. I am able to go for 5 mile walks through the city without fear during the day. It's a great feeling to be able to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 08:37 PM

721 posts, read 1,688,273 times
I think Duluth is a great town. I am personally disappointed that the Kroc Center fell through. How sad for the Lincoln Park neighborhood. Anyway, the Heritage Center looks like it will be an excellent addition to the neighborhood while preserving many aspects of the old Clyde Iron Works. All three colleges are growing. LSC added a new building, CSS is adding onto their rec center and planning a science center addition. UMD completed a new science center, is finsihing a new business school, and planning a new engineering facility. Downtown added an 11 story Sheraton with 6 floors of condos. An entire city block in old downtown is also being renovated with retail and housing. Everything is not rainbows and lollipops in Duluth but this level of development probably hasn't been seen here for a long time.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:41 PM

854 posts, read 1,486,087 times
Default thanks

Thank you! These last two posts are more in line with my experiences when I've been to Duluth. Anyone else have something to add? One of my frustrations in trying to find a way to Duluth is building connections (business and otherwise) from so far away. I'd love to hear from as many people as possible.

And thank you, too, Auntie Bob; your info has been very useful!

Old 09-30-2007, 01:24 PM

77 posts, read 170,264 times
Hey folks, I joined this forum for the Alaska thread, because my family is moving there within 7 months. But right now, we live in Lincoln Park. We moved here 6 months ago and wow, I am shocked and totally sad.
I spent a few years in the Twin Ports as a kid and always came up here at least once a year ever since. When things were starting to get rough for my family, we figured, heck, why not make a go of it in Duluth?! So we got jobs and moved on up....
I am so shocked at what a dumpy city this is!
I figure the reason it seems so great to you is because you're visiting it...even when I was visiting it...coming up for job interviews and whatnot...it seemed so perfect...because I was still, even at that point, a tourist. Now that I live here, I really am disappointed. The city caters to the tourist for the simple fact that it's one of the only things that brings in any revenue. So hardly any crime is reported on the news. A few weeks after we moved in, we had some criminal run through our neighborhood...not only did the police not do anything about it, nothing was on the news. I won't even go into it....
Yes, there is crime everywhere....and Duluth is a pretty city....and that's about where it ends. When I talk to people about my job, as a college graduate, they are shocked at what I receive, and apparently, for Duluth, I'm doing pretty damn good!
My advice...don't move here. Or if you do...get out. We're leaving soon. Sooner the better. Keep it pretty for yourself...stay a tourist. Man, I wish I had!

Old 09-30-2007, 02:21 PM

143 posts, read 314,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
One of my frustrations in trying to find a way to Duluth is building connections (business and otherwise) from so far away. I'd love to hear from as many people as possible.
If you really want to get a feel for what's happening in soccer in the Duluth area, you might want to try connecting with people from these groups. If anyone would be in the know about the future of Soccer in the area, I'm assuming it would be them.

Welcome to DuluthSoccer.com | Duluth, MN

Arrowhead Youth Soccer Association (AYSA) - AYSA Board Of Directors

Lakeside/Lester Park Soccer is located in Duluth, MN (broken link)

Gitchi Gummi Soccer Club - email: zeldaentaol.com

As far as financial assistance goes, you might want to try making some contacts here.
The Ordean Foundation is probably one of the most well known chartible organizations in the City but, I don't really know what kinds of things are their priorities. They may be able to point you in the right direction though.
The NAF may be a good resource if you are going the 'non-profit' route.

ORDEAN FOUNDATION
218-726-4785
424 W Superior St # 501
Duluth, MN 55802

Nonprofits Assistance Fund (NAF)
http://www.nonprofitsassistancefund.org/index.php?src=&PHPSESSID=ffd2565cdbe83d20f585ca17d fa18875

Last edited by Auntie Bob; 09-30-2007 at 02:33 PM..

Old 09-30-2007, 05:13 PM

721 posts, read 1,688,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
Thank you! These last two posts are more in line with my experiences when I've been to Duluth. Anyone else have something to add? One of my frustrations in trying to find a way to Duluth is building connections (business and otherwise) from so far away. I'd love to hear from as many people as possible.

And thank you, too, Auntie Bob; your info has been very useful!
I moved out of here so fast after high school. I moved ot Seattle and worked there for 6 years. I loved Seattle. I have family in Portalnd and think the world of bothg cities. I moved back to Dulut wiht my family and before moving here, we both found it difficult to build connections form so far away. This town is tough to break into form the outside. I found that you have to know people to get anywhere. That was a hard adjustment coming from Seattle. What kind of business are you in?

You can make connections through the Chambers Young Professionals Club.
Duluth Young Professionals

Old 09-30-2007, 07:01 PM

5 posts, read 13,128 times
My family and I are looking to move to Duluth. My husband is with the local pipefitters and are looking to finish his apprenticeship there because of a big deal going on with murphy oil. After reading all these threads it is concerning to me. I can't really find any apartments or housing online and a big problem is we have a dog(who is very much part of the family)and I havn't found any pet friendly places to live. Does anyone know why this is? Or if anyone can help with ways to find housing?

Old 09-30-2007, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsmove07 View Post
My family and I are looking to move to Duluth. My husband is with the local pipefitters and are looking to finish his apprenticeship there because of a big deal going on with murphy oil. After reading all these threads it is concerning to me. I can't really find any apartments or housing online and a big problem is we have a dog(who is very much part of the family)and I havn't found any pet friendly places to live. Does anyone know why this is? Or if anyone can help with ways to find housing?
Some pet owners have ruined it for everyone else by letting their pets soil carpets and damage woodwork in apartments. Not to mention, messing up yards.

I just posted this in another thread but, Property Management Company - apartments , real estate, properties Duluth Minnesota, Superior Wisconsin > Home does have some Duluth listings that allow pets with an additional deposit.
I'm sure you can find others too. They aren't easy to come by but, they are out there.
Check the 'for rent' ads in the Duluth Tribune.
Apartments HQ is your headquarters for Red River Valley area apartments
If the job is at Murphy, check out the Superior listings also

Old 09-30-2007, 07:22 PM

5 posts, read 13,128 times
Thank you for the info. I have check that site out and most are no pets. I need a 3 bedroom I also have an 8 and 3 yr old. I will keep looking. I have never visited Duluth and we are going to be flying out in 2 weeks. Could you tell the best areas to check out? It's with Murphy but they said it was about 45min to 1hr north of Duluth.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsmove07 View Post
Thank you for the info. I have check that site out and most are no pets. I need a 3 bedroom I also have an 8 and 3 yr old. I will keep looking. I have never visited Duluth and we are going to be flying out in 2 weeks. Could you tell the best areas to check out? It's with Murphy but they said it was about 45min to 1hr north of Duluth.
Then you'd probably stand a better chance of looking in the Two Harbors area.
Here's the daily paper from there. Give them a call or email them and see if they have any rental ads or could refer you to a realtor that handles rentals in the area.
Lake County News Chronicle (http://www.twoharborsmn.com/contact/ - broken link)

Your other option is... call the union office that he's going to be connected with. They may be able/willing to help you with the relocation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth