U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-25-2012, 09:40 PM

14,755 posts, read 15,331,469 times

Advertisements

I had no clue Duluth was hilly and that such beautiful forested scenery was nearby, not to mention the cool architecture. I've been to Minneapolis/Saint Paul and it's not that hilly. How do people manage during the inclement weather with those hills? When is a good time to visit? How far is it from the Twin Cities? I've never heard it touted as a tourist destination. Where do the bulk of the tourists come from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 10:19 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,817,999 times
Id say Duluth for sure is a destination easily. Just a few months ago we had King Harold and Queen Sonya of Norway visit up at Enger Tower.

We have a sister city in Japan, Red Green was here even for a show. Elton John had a spetacular preformance a short time ago as well.

Some of the tourist attractions would be surfing on Lake Superior in the wintertime, and watching the occasional huge ship after its run aground or stuck in ice.

Many times I can hear so many different accents, I just have to wonder where they are from. Occasionally I will ask them. So intresting the different seasons here, the activity does not seem to let up in any season there is always easily something to do that is fun and outdoorsy stuff, hiking, biking, canoing, rock time.

We spent for example our entire day today snoshoeing up the Sucker River, outstanding really, hearing the gurgeling water beneath the ice.

I remember clearly a few winters ago. It was very cold for a bit, but not much snow yet to speak of. This end of the Lake Superior was frozen from the entry and up past Two Harbors they say, several inches thick, clear smooth see through ice.

Out from Brighton Beach they had ventured it seemed like at least a mile out to fish, I saw others ice skating, wind surfing go carts, and mountain bikes going past, on the smooth as glass ice.

On the other end of the ice, down in the Park Point area, a father and his young kid were walking out on the ice looking for a place to fish, when they looked down and discovered a shipwreck buried partially in the sand in about 12 feet of water, about 100 yards form shore. Boy did that draw the spectators, myself included, making the local news and paper,
KARE 11 even sent out a news crew and camera, how exciting.

Walking out on that smooth ice I could see the bottom 20 feet or deeper. Clear beautiful, like looking through clean glass.

Last edited by demtion35; 02-25-2012 at 11:31 PM..

Old 06-14-2012, 12:54 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,287,930 times
Most tourists to the Duluth area seem to come from the Minneapolis - St. Paul metro area. Canal Park is densely packed with them from about June to October. It seems like you see a lot fewer out-of-state license plates than you did, say, 10 years ago. (Does anyone agree with me on this point?)

As for the inclement weather and the hills...that's a challenge. Snow tires and 4WD is the only answer I have.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:40 AM

746 posts, read 1,689,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
... Snow tires and 4WD is the only answer I have.
I agree (albeit with AWD), but I'm amazed at how many people seem to manage without. As an example: My parents have driven nothing but FWD cars during my lifetime and never seemed to believe in (nor could they afford) anything but all-weather tires. There were struggles at times, but we always seemed to eventually get to our destination safely. Heck, my first four young adult vehicles were FWD without snows.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:09 PM

3,579 posts, read 1,503,571 times
In early October 2005 I made a trip to see some relatives (western WI), but had a few extra days and decided to go to Duluth and the North Shore. Canal Park was nice and I also went to Enger Park and Skyline Drive to check out the view from the hills. Of course, the fall color was impressive and I also drove to Split Rock Lighthouse and Grand Marais.

As a child growing up in the Twin Cities our trips were usually to our lake cabin near Annandale or my grandmother's lake place near Park Rapids and we seldom saw Duluth. So it was nice to finally visit there.

I think it is one of the more underrated tourist areas, but that is changing with all of the events that Duluth hosts now (Marathon, music events at Bayfront Park, etc).

Old 08-17-2012, 10:05 AM

91 posts, read 115,557 times
Duluth has had some success in being a destination, despite having no interstate going eastward towards Detroit-Toronto-Buffalo (that little Highway going through upper Michigan sucks; then if you want to use Duluth's airport - which has a direct flight to Detroit that takes a little more than an hour - you get screwed by having to buy a $445 ticket).

The way it is out east, and I'll use the success (however tacky and cheap) of Niagara Falls as an example...it's exactly 83 miles from Toronto and 26 miles from downtown Buffalo. Toronto's population is similar to that of Chicago, while Buffalo is similar to Saint Paul. So you have that many more people who can get to Niagara Falls within 1 hour and 30 minutes at the most, and while the town itself has made horrendous environmental infractions, somehow people can't get enough of Clifton Hill, which is similar to Canal Park.

Duluth's thing is once you've been there, unless there's an innovative crowd trying to attract new and different, fun things and not just monster truck/kids stuff crap, nobody with money wants to be seen around people drinking Wal-Mart cola and eating pretzels with their 6 kids. If Duluth wants to be a serious tourist destination, there's got to be some outside the box thinking: Duluth has enough stuff for kids. There's virtually nothing for single adults with no kids, backpackers/hikers (there's an opportunity for a Hostelling International type accommodation here sitting wide open - if I had the money that's the first thing I'd invest in Duluth); it's just a shame that the major population centres are just too far away to make it an easy trip to Duluth without it being an overnight stay, or coming to see the lake and whatever else, but that's about it.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:29 AM

3,870 posts, read 5,460,967 times
Nope, I see a lot more plates from Illinois and Alaska (for some reason) and
fewer Canadian plates.

Snow tires are nice, but not a requirement nor is 4wd.
You just need to slow down and know a few tricks for the conditions and you can get around all winter on some all season tires and RWD.
If your the average commuter the streets are plowed and sanded & salted.

Driving can be a challenge if we get freezing rain at night or if you chose to be out during a snow storm at night.

The tourists seam to disappear after the fall colors and you don't see them until July.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Most tourists to the Duluth area seem to come from the Minneapolis - St. Paul metro area. Canal Park is densely packed with them from about June to October. It seems like you see a lot fewer out-of-state license plates than you did, say, 10 years ago. (Does anyone agree with me on this point?)

As for the inclement weather and the hills...that's a challenge. Snow tires and 4WD is the only answer I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth