Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 06:00 PM

60 posts, read 133,024 times

Advertisements

My husband has accepted a job in duluth and will start mid april, I will follow early june after kids finish up this school year, I have done some extensive research online about rental apartments and have narrowed down our choices to 2 places to look into, Timber Ridge and Deerfield townhomes, mainly because his job is in Hermantown , is close to Hermantown High school, and because they offer 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, even 1 and 1/2 bathroom is fine when you have 2 teenagers! could anyone give me some feedback on these places?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 06:34 PM

38 posts, read 71,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonevalley View Post
My husband has accepted a job in duluth and will start mid april, I will follow early june after kids finish up this school year, I have done some extensive research online about rental apartments and have narrowed down our choices to 2 places to look into, Timber Ridge and Deerfield townhomes, mainly because his job is in Hermantown , is close to Hermantown High school, and because they offer 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, even 1 and 1/2 bathroom is fine when you have 2 teenagers! could anyone give me some feedback on these places?

Thanks
I haven't heard much good about Deerfield. But, they are under new ownership and under renovation, so conditions may have approved.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:17 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,122,181 times
Deerfield is where the low income live. The buildings them selves have been paged with problems from the beginning.

You can probably find a house or duplex to rent for around the same price range.

No need to live close to work in Duluth or Hermantown as the rush HR traffic is not a problem. you'll find folks working in the air park from the other side of town.

Deerfield is close to Staber field, soccer, baseball, play ground,etc etc.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:20 AM

106 posts, read 221,879 times
I have a friend who lives in Timber Ridge so I just texted her and asked her if she would recommend it to others and she said she definitely would, they love it there. She said it helps that they have great neighbors, but the management is great and things are fixed very quickly. I've only been inside her place once, but I thought it was very nice. It's a great area. If I could choose anywhere around here to live it would be in that area, especially if your husband's job is in hermantown, since you won't be used to the winter driving at first.

Now you have to understand something (disclaimer). When I say very nice, I mean FOR OUR AREA. I have been to Phoenix and stayed at my cousin's townhouse and it was much, much nicer. But she also owned instead of rented, so I don't know if that makes a difference. The bottom line is Duluth has a very severe shortage of newer housing and a very severe shortage of nice rentals. So it may or may not be what you are expecting. But I've seen a lot of rentals around here and talked to various people trying to find decent rental housing, and this is definitely one of the nicer ones, IMHO.

For kicks I called the place up once I realized it was where my friend lives. I told them I'm asking about a place for a friend in June... here's the info I got (you may already have done this):
  • No availability right now. This doesn't surprise me because as I said, we have a severe shortage of nice rentals. You might need to call NOW and get yourself on a waiting list.
  • 204 total units
  • 2 bd - $850/mo + $850 deposit, 1130 sq ft
  • 3 bd - $975/mo + $975 deposit, 1300 sq ft
  • water sewer, and garbage are paid
  • you pay electric ($20-$30/mo avg she said) and gas ($50/mo avg)
  • 1 year lease/60 day notice
  • very strict pet policy - one pet only, if it is a dog must be 20lb or less. $200 pet fee and $10/mo pet rent
Now about that extreme temperature change.... be prepared to buy way more winter clothing than you think you'll need to buy. Either that or go to a place like Northwest Outlet in Superior and have them help you get it right the first time. Sometimes people don't buy a warm enough (or comfortable enough) jacket the first time and end up buying another one before the winter is out. I highly recommend the North Face down jackets. They are warm enough AND very comfortable and they don't weigh much at all. Another option is a Columbia Jacket that has a zip-in/out jacket/liner, but they weigh a lot and I don't like wearing the whole ensemble. Either way you go it's definitely worth the extra money to get a good jacket the first time rather than buying several trying to find a good one. A good quality jacket will last you years.

Hope this is helpful!

Old 03-26-2013, 06:53 PM

60 posts, read 133,024 times
Thank you all for your input, this is really very helpful, and thanks jblair for going out of your way and getting me the info, I called Timber Ridge right after I read your post this morning, and sure enough, no vacancies, only 2 bedroom, which might be what we will go for if we have to, anyway we did get ourselves on the waiting list just in case, and very good advice about the winter outerwear, I guess my 30 pairs of flip flops and 20 sundresses won't have much use up there, and I have heard good things about north face jackets, mind you, never tried them! but it seems it's the way to dress over there, I'm already looking them up on the internet, I already see ones I would like to wear, but I'll get all my winterwear over there since there is literary no winter clothes in phoenix stores whatsoever, we only have 3 seasons of summer and 1 season of fall here, and if you blink you miss the fall season all together!

Old 03-26-2013, 09:51 PM

7,646 posts, read 18,048,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonevalley View Post
Thank you all for your input, this is really very helpful, and thanks jblair for going out of your way and getting me the info, I called Timber Ridge right after I read your post this morning, and sure enough, no vacancies, only 2 bedroom, which might be what we will go for if we have to, anyway we did get ourselves on the waiting list just in case, and very good advice about the winter outerwear, I guess my 30 pairs of flip flops and 20 sundresses won't have much use up there, and I have heard good things about north face jackets, mind you, never tried them! but it seems it's the way to dress over there, I'm already looking them up on the internet, I already see ones I would like to wear, but I'll get all my winterwear over there since there is literary no winter clothes in phoenix stores whatsoever, we only have 3 seasons of summer and 1 season of fall here, and if you blink you miss the fall season all together!
Your sundresses and flip-flops will be fine in the summer here (July - August, and some of June and perhaps September). The average July or August day in Duluth is like an average March day in Phoenix, albeit much longer and considerably more humid. That's one thing I love about up here; the nicest days are so long.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:53 PM

7,646 posts, read 18,048,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Deerfield is where the low income live. The buildings them selves have been paged with problems from the beginning.

You can probably find a house or duplex to rent for around the same price range.

No need to live close to work in Duluth or Hermantown as the rush HR traffic is not a problem. you'll find folks working in the air park from the other side of town.

Deerfield is close to Staber field, soccer, baseball, play ground,etc etc.
My economics professor and her husband lived there, so I don't imagine they are too low-rent.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:09 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,122,181 times
it's a new slum, that's all,
It filled up then the low income housing below central was torn down.
I have no idea what the rent is.

The buildings have been plagued with problems from day one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
My economics professor and her husband lived there, so I don't imagine they are too low-rent.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:17 PM

781 posts, read 2,617,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
The buildings have been plagued with problems from day one.
I think you're probably referring to the fact that the whole property was built on an improperly prepared swap. There were many issues with sinking/cracking foundation and cracks in drywall, etc. I toured a unit a couple of years ago and I was given the impression that a lot of money was invested to fix those issues once and for all.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:23 PM

721 posts, read 2,600,266 times
While not in Hermantown, bluestone commons are brand new and should be done in August, so if you find a month to month place to rent, it could give you time to find a new townhouse if that's what you want
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth