Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2014, 04:15 PM

993 posts, read 1,760,679 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

My mom is going to be visiting me in the Twin Cities over Spring Break. Neither of us have ever been to Duluth, but I thought it might be fun for us to take a day trip up there. The problem is, I have no idea what really is up there. I know Duluth is in a beautiful area, but I don't really know any specific things to see or do. Any thoughts? I heard someone suggest some ice caves or something?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 09:34 PM

781 posts, read 2,620,149 times
The ice caves will unfortunately be closed by this Sunday at the latest due to the warmer weather; they also are in Bayfield (an hour and half drive NE).

As for things to do, it really depends on what your interests are. Duluth's biggest claim to fame is its natural beauty, so if you're into that, you'll have plenty to do. Check out Enger Tower (link); the park is beautiful (hopefully won't be under construction when you come) and the views from the cliffs as well as the tower are quite nice. You can see the entirety of Park Point, much of the bay and West Duluth. Unfortunately, Duluth is still pretty soggy even deep into Spring, so a lot of trails and parks that you could normally visit will either be closed or simply too muddy to be enjoyable.

If you're into the arts and indy movie scene, you could take in a movie at Zinema 2 or check out the Duluth Art Institue (in the Depot). Additionally, if you're into trains, after taking in the art at the institute, you could wander around and in many many trains at The Depot.

The most obvious (and visible) tourist destination is Canal Park and the lift bridge. Many of our most popular restaurants are there and many unique and niche shops can be found. You can take a walk on the board walk (runs from Canal Park all the way to the eastern edge of the city) which winds along the shore of Duluth. There are many opportunities along the path to drop down to the shore.

If you're looking for some good restaurants to check out, you'll be happy to find that our restaurant scene is improving. You may have some high standards coming from the cities, but I'd personally recommend Va Bene (which has an enclosed deck for an amazing view). If you're willing to take a short drive up the shore, you might enjoy stopping in at the New Scenic Cafe; you'll find some amazing (and very unique) cuisine. However, the best place to eat and take in the view is JJ Astorr. It sits atop the Radisson Hotel downtown and rotates slowly for a 360° view of downtown Duluth. Plus, ever since the ownership change, the food is quite good.

Like beer? If you do, you're in luck. Duluth is home to a growing number of brewpubs and micro-breweries. While in Canal Park, check out the Canal Park Brewery. Call ahead to schedule a brewery tour. You'd also be remiss to not try the Brewhouse. It's a staple of the Duluth brewery scene with great food and even greater beer. There are many other brewpubs in the area that you can explore, and if you don't want to do the research yourself, try out a brewery tour. Beer samples, transportation, food and brewery tours!

There's a ton more, but unfortunately it's tough to find outside activities during this season. Duluth isn't exactly at its prettiest right now, but I have no doubt that you'll be able to find things to do. Let me know if you have any questions!

Last edited by aluminumpork; 03-13-2014 at 09:47 PM..

Old 03-18-2014, 12:31 PM

128 posts, read 266,703 times
We took a vacation to Duluth two summers ago. Granted you have a car I wouldn't limit yourself to just Duluth. With a car head up to Grand Marais (we went in summer so I don't know what's open now). On your way down there's a nice light house along the highway running parallel to Lake Superior. There's also a black sand beach that's tucked away and you might need a local to tell you how to get there because we did, but it is well worth it! Hidden and secluded and such a unique experience. The New Scenic Cafe is also up in that area. They have excellent gourmet cuisine, and judging by the location you'd never guess it's there!

Anyway, in Duluth itself you can walk the aerial life bridge and out the piers along either side. There is also a nice area around Canal Park with shopping and restaurants and there's public parking for a fee. At least once you need to gather along the piers and watch a freighter come to port. This might not be possible this time of year so go again in the summer! It's an experience! There is also a Maritime Museum right by the lift bridge that's worth a visit.

Should you have some additional ambition head out to Grand Rapids and see the house Judy Garland grew up in.

If you need a place to stay let me suggest the Olcott House Bed & Breakfast. We stayed there and had exceptional service and the house is beautiful!

Have fun! Duluth is a wonderful city to see and the entire Northland is gorgeous!

Old 04-07-2014, 12:09 PM

428 posts, read 803,180 times
Spring Break in Duluth? You must be joking, lol. This is the pits during Spring Break, just lots of melting dirty snow. Seriously. Unless you can wait until May at least, then the snow and ice might be gone. Otherwise there is really nothing worth seeing here during Spring Break except perhaps watching the ocean going ships come through the ice into port. I would instead suggest you take you mom to maybe Stillwater, Minnesota, just east of the Twin Cities-- snow should be gone and it is a nice touristy town with loads of antique stores she will love. If you do come to Duluth, take you mom to Canal Park down by the lake, an area built for tourists-- lots of antique stores, restaurants, movie theater, Red Lobster, adventure zone with arcade games and miniature golf and such, and you can continue across a small bridge (canal park bridge) out about five miles to a dead end where you can get out and walk 50 yards to the beach, might be worth a look depending on the temperature and how much snow remains.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:42 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,163,693 times
If it was two months or so later, I might have recommended spending a little time at scenic Park Point Beach after you visit the Canal Park district. There are beautiful views from there.

You may want to also consider a tour of the Glensheen Mansion. glensheen.wp.d.umn.edu/visit/tours
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth