Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2014, 10:17 AM

365 posts, read 269,463 times

Advertisements

I was stationed at the Air Force Base in Duluth during 1977-1980.
Some of us GI's found a place that had a sled ride like a roller coaster, and it went through the trees and hills like this (( Alpine Coaster at Spirit Mountain )), but, I can't remember the name of the place or the location. Not sure how old this Alpine Coaster ride is? Does anyone know how long this place has been in the Spirit Moutain Park?

What I can remember of the ride is = the track was half tube and the sled was similar to what the one looks like now (without the back rest). And the sled was definitely not attached to the track. And the tube track was ??? yellow. And the end of the long ride down was a rubber tire for the final stop.

I was thinking that the place was up hwy 61 north of Duluth along the North Shore???

Can anyone help me remember this place???

I have attached a jpeg of what the tube type track looked like back then.
Attached Thumbnails
Spirit Mountain Alpine Coaster at Duluth info help-coaster-ride-minnesota.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 10:30 AM

336 posts, read 574,795 times
I remember taking my kids to one up by Lutsen around that time.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:35 AM

781 posts, read 2,627,727 times
Lutsen has an alpine slide like this. Spirit's is like a roller coaster with the kart attached to the tracks.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:55 AM

Well, I thought us guys went up the north shore for this adventure.

I wonder if that place is still operating (Lutsen, Mn)???
Anyone have the name of the place in Lutsen.??

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX edit XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Well now, I believe this is the place and the ride.
I thought the track was more tubular and was yellow. Oh well, that is my bear trap memory.

I remember that the ride was " fast " and it definitely zipped thru curves, dips, and loops with that
rubber tire attached at the end of the ride. It was set on a hill side, going through trees and such.

Attached is the jpeg that the park has posted.
Attached Thumbnails
Spirit Mountain Alpine Coaster at Duluth info help-000-lutsen-mn-ride.jpg  

Last edited by txwolfman; 08-28-2014 at 11:19 AM..

Old 08-28-2014, 01:30 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txwolfman View Post

I thought the track was more tubular and was yellow. Oh well, that is my bear trap memory.

I remember that the ride was " fast " and it definitely zipped thru curves, dips, and loops with that
rubber tire attached at the end of the ride. It was set on a hill side, going through trees and such.

The old one is at the Lutsen ski area. You ride up on the ski lift. You ride down on the alpine slide cart in a contoured cement track. The cart is not attached to the tracks. It is a lot of fun. Lutsen Mountains

The one at Spirit Mountain is also very cool. It is like a roller coaster that is attached to the tracks and runs right through the woods. Alpine Coaster | Timber Twister | Spirit Mountain | Duluth MN

Both are still open (in the warm months).

Old 08-28-2014, 01:31 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,695,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txwolfman View Post

Yes, it's still there and in good working order. We visited this summer and loved it. My four year old was through the moon about it. The views of Lake Superior are great too.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:34 PM

Thanks to those who have responded.
From my memory, I knew it had to be up north from Duluth along the North Shore.
I thought from memory, the track was made of plastic, but, for sure it was (contoured).
From the jpeg of the Lutsen Alpine Slide, the sled was identical.
And for sure from memory, it had a rubber tire stationary at the end of track (ride). This
I know, 'cause we use to try and hit it as hard as we
could.
And for sure, being young GI's, we were mostly intoxicated, but a good time was had
by all.

So, if I was a betting man, I would say that the slide in Lutsen was the place of my fond memories.

Not that it was the only fond memory of my tour there, just one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth