U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-14-2012, 09:17 AM

47 posts, read 91,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto416 View Post
Twins, yes, I'm betting it will be a Dunkin Donuts. I haven't seen one in Duluth (in areas like Chicago, there's more Dunkin Donuts than Starbucks) and I think there's already a Jimmy John's near the Walgreens/Plaza. I asked about a Bruegger's Bagels; I was told they wouldn't 'just open one' as they'd have to come into the Duluth market and open six or so to make anything out of it. It'll be interesting to see what happens in my hometown neighbourhood (I grew up near Vermilion & Hawthorne) when Woodland School closes...how have things been with the transition to the new East HS?
The Jimmy Johns on Superior St. will be relocating with CVS purchasing that parcel of land. Does anyone know where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 09:23 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,448,595 times
Jimmy Johns has actually started construction on their new space. They are taking over part of Great Harvest ( the sandwich part) and not sure now if they are going to take over a little of the Mr. Movies space too, or at least what is left over from when Super One takes over that space.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:34 PM

9,913 posts, read 14,444,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateduluthnative View Post
I wonder if it's Duluth, MN or Georgia? There is no Minnesota locations on their site, but there is some in Atlanta and Duluth, Georgia is a suburb of Atlanta. Looks like a neat place, but I'd rather see Panera come to the duluth area instead.
Duluth, GA, is actually named after Duluth, MN. However, the Minnesota version is a LOT more interesting, I think. The Duluth down here is just a smallish suburb town with a large (well, 12% ... it's in Georgia) Asian population.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:12 PM

432 posts, read 691,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtrips View Post
I know it's not Duluth, but Lowe's is coming to Superior. They will be located between Menard's and Walmart, where the mobile home park is located. They first looked at Duluth, but were not able to find suitable property. Construction is expected to begin within 6 months. Also, the Miner's Superstore is still planned for East Superior.
I consider Duluth, Superior, Hermantown, Proctor and surrounding townships the immediate metro area-I'll throw Cloquet, Carlton and Esko in there, too. It's exciting to see any new businesses locate in the area. Lowe's is actually a surprise for me because I hear they're not doing too well and they just closed one in a Twin Cities suburb not too long ago.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:42 PM

I love how this thread has been over the last few weeks, it's been a long time since I've heard of this many stores planned for this area. I think the reason for this is because of the economic future for the Twin Ports area. Kestrel Aircraft, Genesis Equipment, the company planned for the former NWA base, ME Foundry expansion and Cirrus making a comeback-hundreds of good paying full time jobs not to mention the spin off jobs they'll create! If Fleet Farm, Costco and Lowe's come, we'll now have all of the large big box stores everyone else has(although I'd love to see an upscale department store like Macy's or Nordstrom at the mall). All we need now is some of the "category killer" mid sized stores like Dick's, Golf Galaxy or Golfsmith, Guitar Center, Marshall's and Home Goods. And a few more of the fast-casual and sit down casual restaurants mentioned throughout this thread. If the Twin Ports can keep the technical, industrial and biotech jobs coming, then the sought after retail/restaurants will follow.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:44 PM

I have to admit with the exception of Bed Bath & Beyond, last year was pretty lame for commercial development in Duluth!

Old 02-18-2012, 12:30 AM

7,511 posts, read 8,081,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateduluthnative View Post
I love how this thread has been over the last few weeks, it's been a long time since I've heard of this many stores planned for this area. I think the reason for this is because of the economic future for the Twin Ports area. Kestrel Aircraft, Genesis Equipment, the company planned for the former NWA base, ME Foundry expansion and Cirrus making a comeback-hundreds of good paying full time jobs not to mention the spin off jobs they'll create! If Fleet Farm, Costco and Lowe's come, we'll now have all of the large big box stores everyone else has(although I'd love to see an upscale department store like Macy's or Nordstrom at the mall). All we need now is some of the "category killer" mid sized stores like Dick's, Golf Galaxy or Golfsmith, Guitar Center, Marshall's and Home Goods. And a few more of the fast-casual and sit down casual restaurants mentioned throughout this thread. If the Twin Ports can keep the technical, industrial and biotech jobs coming, then the sought after retail/restaurants will follow.
And what impact will that have on local stores?

What really annoys me, too, are chain restaurants locating in the Canal Park area. If you come to Duluth, at least eat at a restaurant that you can't have the same exact food and experience at as in your home city.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:46 AM

3,870 posts, read 5,266,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post

What really annoys me, too, are chain restaurants locating in the Canal Park area. If you come to Duluth, at least eat at a restaurant that you can't have the same exact food and experience at as in your home city.
I have to agree or ones that get their food from the same places, like upper lakes foods or cysco (sp)
It all tastes the same kind of like the food at red lobster.

mickey d's is the same everywhere

Old 02-18-2012, 10:07 AM

238 posts, read 366,126 times
Quote:

I think it really comes down to personal taste for a lot of people. I am a HUGE proponent of patronizing local establishments, but they have to work for my money too. For example, the small hardware store I go to in Lakeside goes out of their way to help you before you even get half way into the store. I really try to do as much there as I possibly can.

In terms of restaurants, sometimes they can get lazy and some do not have the systems in place to ensure consistency and that you are treated like a King or Queen when you are there. The beauty of chains is that they work on proven systems, so the burger you get in Phoenix should be about the same as the one in Duluth. All too often, at a local restaurant I hear "we can't do that" or "I don't think we can do that", and the consistency at every restaurant is not always there. There are local establishments that do a phenomenal job and I will always go to those.

When a chain restaurant comes in right next door to a local establishment, there is competition and they both need to step up their game. My parents go out to eat a lot, and they've pretty much given up on some local restaurants due to consistency problems. I know when I go to the Olive Garden, my food will be good, hot and the servers are friendly and there to take care of me. If not, why wouldn't I just cook that meal at home?

Anyway, just my two cents. If a business works hard to maintain consistency and SERVICE, no matter if it's national or local, they will get my hard earned money. If not, no way...

Old 02-18-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:

I have to agree with you on chains in Canal Park. I'd like to keep it(and Old Downtown as well) local and the chains at the mall area. It's just that I'd like some of the rare and higher quality chains locate there and less of the ones that locate in any small town. There are too many McDonald's, Subways and DQs and no Chipotle, Panera, etc... I really would like a high quality local seafood place somewhere in Downtown or Canal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth