Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2008, 07:28 PM

781 posts, read 2,628,525 times

Advertisements

If they build one anywhere, it should be a new one replacing their crappy 4th St branch. Their West Duluth one is gorgeous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 07:31 PM

721 posts, read 2,609,987 times
The CEO of Members had a medical health issue that left him incapacitated. The board removed him about a year ago and replaced him with a long-term employee. She cleared house firing all the top VP's and replacing a lot of the upper management team with her own crew.

Since then, Members has been losing membership as staff and customers alike do not like the transition. Anyone who comes into a smaller organization and fires everyone that has been there for 20 years will not gain credibility and will only make staff and customers nervous. The former Potlatch employees credit union in Cloquet has been gaining members hand over fist.

Members was also supposed to replace their Central branch next to Whole Foods and share a parking lot between the two (Whole Foods being a co-op; it makes sense for mutual membership). That branch building has been deemed "structurally unsafe" by an architect. but they haven't replaced that branch with a new building. Members lost a contract to place ATM's in the hospitals downtown too and is facing stiff competition from Hermantown Federal and Superior Choice which just opened in Hermantown very near the land Members bought by HOM.

I have insider information.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:16 PM

Heh, I like how you ended with "I have insider information."

I had heard quite awhile ago talking with a teller at the Central 4th St branch that they were planning on building a new one, but that obviously never happened. How long ago did they build their West Duluth branch? I've only been int here once (to close my loan) and it was extremely nice.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:28 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,451,200 times
The West Duluth location is such a gorgeous building. To my understanding the one next to Hom is/was suppose to be almost identical. Are they still going to build the one next to Hom? I also dont know how they are planning on going on the Firestone building when there already is a credit union in there that doesnt show signs of leaving.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:08 AM

432 posts, read 1,120,532 times
I think there are enough credit unions and banks in Duluth, we need better stores and restaurants! By the way are there any changes to the city council this year, pro-growth members elected?

Old 11-07-2008, 01:52 PM

721 posts, read 2,609,987 times
The West Duluth branch used all natural material whenever possible and the site they built on was an unused brownfield. It won an award from the State of Minnesota for its design and reuse of land.

Members now has the ability to grow its business anywhere in the 7 county arrowhead region. It, however, is seeing zero to negative growth right now. The credit union in the Firestone building is a members service branch that any person who is a member of any credit union can use and avoid fees associated with banks.

Old 11-08-2008, 02:22 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,350,629 times
LA Weight Loss is closing all their Minnesota locations and most of Wisconsin, so look for that to be closing by what I've heard Dec. 12th if it hasn't closed already.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:37 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,451,200 times
Wow. Burning Tree is going to have a lot of open spaces. I never really liked LA Weighloss. LA Fitness most likely is killing them in Minnesota. Burning Tree is going to have to do something to their building to attract retailers.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:48 PM

432 posts, read 1,120,532 times
Duluth really could use a big health club like L.A. Fitness. L.A. Weightloss is a completely different type of entity. The problem I have with Burning Tree is that it faces the wrong direction, it should face Miller Trunk and not Maple Grove, it would have more exposure. I think that cheap tool place should go and T.J. Maxx should expand that space with its Home Goods/T.J. Maxx &More concept. I wish the bridal place would leave and replaced with a good restaurant. TGI Fridays was rumoured to go there, but that was in the late 80's when Burning Tree Plaza was only half built. However, I think Burning Tree is one of the better strip malls in Duluth as far as store selection is concerned!

Old 11-08-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateduluthnative View Post
I think that cheap tool place should go
Boo! I love Harbor Freight. Harbor Freight is huge on the East coast and I was so happy when they opened one here. It's the third in the state! (Minneapolis, St.Paul and then Duluth). I love them because you can find many very specific tools at truly rock bottom prices. Need a good spring compressor? They got it, for under 15 bucks. It's a good alternative to Northern Tool and Equipment and I would hate to see it leave. Personally, I dislike T.J. Maxx. It feels so aged inside and dirty and I don't like the disorganized style. It feels similar to Good Will to me (although I realize things are new). If anything they should remodel and give it a new look.

BTW, has anybody been to BragGameRights? I was in there recently on a Tuesday night and was surprised by how busy it was. That place is really cool! I'm impressed by how many "game cubicles" they had set up. Very impressive and not cutting any corners! It's great to see such a business open in Duluth when all of their bases covered. Great signage, advertising and a great building!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth