Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2015, 12:22 AM

90 posts, read 262,522 times

Advertisements

Hey all!
The girlfriend and I (both mid 20's) and our new 4 month old dog (Sprnger Spaniel) will be coming to visit Duluth in 2 week, spontaneous trip! We will be there for 3-4 days.
We are both very outdoors people, love hiking and camping and everything outdoors.

My questions:
Where are some good campsites? I have seen many online, wondering which ones are the best from the locals! Scenic is always nice too.

What are some good areas for hiking trails? And cool/scenic ones we should consider? (Remember we have a dog, he has done a 2 mile hike before). I have read the Oberg mountain loop is a cool hike?

What are your opinions on the Enger Park and Tower? And Canal Park?
Also, is Park Point a good/fun spot?

I have read that Lester park has a cool swimming hole/rock jumping area called The Deeps?
I am interested in the Bent Paddle Brewing Company, is it worth it?

Last thing, is there any sort of doggy daycare in Duluth where we could drop off the little guy for a few hours while we do a couple things indoors? If not, no biggie.
I definitely wanna check out Duluth Pack and Trailfitters!

Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks so much! 😎
Jordan
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 12:38 AM

Oh, forgot to mention, what are your opinions on Split Rock Lighthouse State Park? I read there is great hiking there (Split Rock river loop).
Also, the George Crosby Manitou State Park, opinions?
Thanks!

Old 08-07-2015, 07:54 AM

2,104 posts, read 4,581,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanCarlson13 View Post
Hey all!
The girlfriend and I (both mid 20's) and our new 4 month old dog (Sprnger Spaniel) will be coming to visit Duluth in 2 week, spontaneous trip! We will be there for 3-4 days.
We are both very outdoors people, love hiking and camping and everything outdoors.

My questions:
Where are some good campsites? I have seen many online, wondering which ones are the best from the locals! Scenic is always nice too.

What are some good areas for hiking trails? And cool/scenic ones we should consider? (Remember we have a dog, he has done a 2 mile hike before). I have read the Oberg mountain loop is a cool hike?

What are your opinions on the Enger Park and Tower? And Canal Park?
Also, is Park Point a good/fun spot?

I have read that Lester park has a cool swimming hole/rock jumping area called The Deeps?

Last thing, is there any sort of doggy daycare in Duluth where we could drop off the little guy for a few hours while we do a couple things indoors? If not, no biggie.

Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks so much! ��
Jordan
Good campsites in town are Spirit Mountain, call ahead for available sites, also from right there is connections with the Superior Hiking Trail which will give you the most terrain in that area, with some of the best views to be had,

Also many things to do from right there also even with in walking distance, the Alpine Slide witch is just down the road from the campground, also many of the mountain bike flow trails, and the lift is right there also,

This area is some of the most rugged for the SHT in the area, easy to get to Bardons Peak, also Elys Peak and the famous RailRoad Old Tunnel.

The swimming area called the Deeps is at Seven Bridges Road, yes in Lester Park up near Skyline, on the other end of the city. From there easy access to many hiking trails also. And of course the famous Duluth Traverse is right there also. Flow Trails and many great hiking trails are in this park, some of the best.

Be sure to check out Hawk Ridge while you are here it is just up the road, it is a great view and much information can be read while at the site.

Not sure about the doggy sorry, could call local dog hospitals for ideas?

Duluth Pack is a fantastic stop, make sure to check out and read about upcoming events, now the store is starting to get ready for fall season. For Trailfitters is in The Fitgers complex and several good eating options in here as well, also many shops to stop inside and check out.

The SplitROck Loop is a fantastic hike around 6 miles, starting on the highway 61 trailhead and ending at the ditch just down the road a bit, one of my favorite hikes have done it several times, bring water and day trip snacks for along the way.

That State Park Split Rock is one of the most famous and historical places. If planning to go there it is for sure the place to stop, many stairs in places but fantastic views, the Splitrock Lighthouse can be seen from the highway so keep and eye out for that and good picture from that point.

Indian Point Campground is another nice camp site on the St Louis River, again call ahead for available sites.

Last edited by demtion35; 08-07-2015 at 08:08 AM..

Old 08-07-2015, 08:01 AM

2,104 posts, read 4,581,098 times
Quote:
Oh, forgot to mention, what are your opinions on Split Rock Lighthouse State Park? I read there is great hiking there (Split Rock river loop).
Also, the George Crosby Manitou State Park, opinions?
Thanks!
This State Park is made for hiking and especially in the winter for snowshoeing. The rugged outer loop is about 6 miles and offers difficult to moderate river sections with remote campsites here which have sections on the Superior Hiking Trail that follows the river.

One thing to mention if going here you will need to pick up the day pass at another park as there is no park headquarters here. Just pick one up at Splitrock or Gooseberry or one of the other state parks.

Old 08-07-2015, 01:39 PM

781 posts, read 2,621,470 times
Quote:

Bent Paddle has a nice little tap room, and I do love their beer; only downside is their popularity, the place is usually packed. If you go on Thursday, they have food trucks out front which is nice since otherwise there's no food. As far a Duluth Pack and Trailfitters go, they are nice (if expensive) stores. If you're at Bent Paddle, Frost River is just across the street and has plenty of locally made, similar goods. Bent Paddle and Frost River are both in lower Lincoln Park (right by I35), which is a bit of a depressed area in Duluth, so you're not going to be wowed by the scenery.

Park Point is a really unique spot in the midwest, so I'd definitely recommend checking it. If you drive to the airport near the end and park, there's a nice (shortish) hiking trail that goes to the lesser known Superior entrance of the harbor. If it's nice out, the sand feels great, although the lake is usually un-swimmably cold; maybe you'll get lucky! Another nice beach is Brighton Beach, along highway 61 at the eastern edge of the city. It's not a sandy beach, but has nice big rocks for climbing on and having a picnic.

Canal Park is definitely the tourist destination in Duluth, which can be good and bad. In most Duluthian's opinions, you're not going to get the true "Duluth" experience there, but you will find good beer at Endion Station and Canal Park Brewery. Both have a great selection (nice guest taps at Endion) and patios overlooking Lake Superior. You'll also find the maritime museum by the bridge, which is a bit dated, but still has a lot of neat maritime relics.

Anyways, you've got plenty of things to do if you're into hiking, camping and beer. Enjoy yourselves!

Old 08-07-2015, 07:09 PM

Thank you all for the great info!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth