Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2015, 09:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,564 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!
I am soon to be graduating from high school in southern california, and the college search is in full gear. Recently i have fallen in love with the idea of going to U of M Twin cities, but i have a crappy gpa, and probably wont get in. Regardless of that, my eyes fell on U of M Duluth, and i have been toying with the idea of going there. So what is Duluth like? What are the people there like? Are they open to outsiders? Ive heard about minnesota Ice, and it kinda scares me, so im not so sure about that. The thing that appeals to me the most about duluth is of course the immense amounts of snow and seasonal differentiation, as well as having the nickname of "the san francisco of the midwest." (Some topographical variability in the midwest? whaaat) While i do want to go out and experience new cultures and peoples, im scared that the people in duluth wont be open and receptive (especially someone from a completely different culture in southern california), and help me make the best of my college years, So if someone could give a detailed description on life and culture in duluth, i would be very greatful! I was also considering Michigan technological institute in Houghton Michigan, a couple of hours east of there, Much smaller and snowier, so if anyone also has any info and experiences of there that would be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 04:58 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,595,220 times
The U of M has students from all over the world, you will not have a problem there will more than likely be students from California there as well. A lot of the appeal of students coming to Duluth is the fact that there is so much to do and close to nature and the outdoors activities.

There are so many close activities to do and the people here are friendly and down to earth, many nature trails for hiking, more remote and lots of lakes, rivers that are beautiful. There are a lot of students that get to come here and for many reasons, the schools are good and the lay of the land offer so many chances for great hiking mountain biking fishing, and many other winter time activities, many of which are unique, and being close to further north in the Superior National Forest and the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness.

You wont have a problem fitting in and there is a lot to do here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
View detailed profiles of: