Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 06:54 PM

158 posts, read 1,084,493 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a possible move to the duluth area. My company will be having an opening in the Hermantown area. I am married and have two girls (4,8). We have lived in North Dakota our whole lives (Fargo and Bismarck). I am not concerned at all about Duluth's weather. I can hack it comfortably. I am concerned about housing and crime. I built a new home in Bismarck a year ago for about $142000. From what I can tell, I will get nothing like it without shelling out an additional $100000. Does Hermantown or someplace have a new home development area? I understand that schools are good in Hermantown. I am concerned about the crime though. There are bad neighborhoods in Fargo and Bismarck. The "bad" areas aren't that bad either. One person would be afraid of walking it and the next not. This seems to be the same for Duluth. My family loves driving around and enjoying scenery. It seems that my only holdups are is the crime and house prices. If housing is overpriced for the income, are house prices coming down? I have read sooo many posts saying good thing and bad things about the area. I live in a sheltered life now. Only complaint you'll hear about Bismarck is that it is a little boring. Not sure if I should move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 07:02 PM

195 posts, read 1,080,037 times
I would not worry about the crime in Duluth, it really is not at a level that you will even be aware of. Driving in a car is much more dangerous.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:35 AM

592 posts, read 2,809,599 times
Howdy Snowblind. As a (near) lifetime resident of Duluth, I am terribly worried about the criminal element in Duluth. There appears to be a trend slowly taking place that involves section 8 housing, drug use and manufacture, and lack of good jobs that has absolutely affected the quality of life in this area. I don't want to scare off anyone that wants to live and work here, but I would stronly urge you to look and consider closely at crime statistics and trends before you commit youself and family to moving. The FBI and BCA both have crime statistics available on their websites, keep in mind, statistics are only numbers. My view of the whole area is somewhat slanted, I grew up here and have watched the evolution of it with sadness. Compared to "big city living", it is a mecca but in my opinion, the lack of good jobs and influx of un-desirables has taken a toll that will take decades to reverse, if there are any brave enough to give it a whirl. It seems as though you have done some research on real estate and you are right, especially in Hermantown, you better expect to shell out considerably more for housing here than in Fargo. There are developments in Hermantown and the area is developing rapidly, hence the expense. Hermantown is progressing nicely, seems WAY more business friendly than Duluth, and does have good schools.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:52 AM

Default some statistical information

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/mncrime.htm
Here's a pretty easy look at crime in MN, unfortunately it doesn't give specifics on locality, just an overall statewide look. I did some checking to get some other info for you but the BCA is down and they only have figures to 2004 by locality.

Old 03-22-2007, 04:57 PM

Other than the natural beauty, are there other things that are nice about Duluth? I stayed one night in Duluth 8 years ago. Walked in Canal Park that night and ate at Little Angies. (Best fajitas I ever had!) What places should I visit this spring?

Old 03-23-2007, 06:59 AM

It really depends on what you like to do. I personally stay away from the park point crowd, there are restraunts off the beaten path that make Little Angies seem like Taco Bell, there is the Maya up by the mall and the Hacienda Del Sol right downtown on Superior Street, a great Mex place in Cloquet. There are some nice trails through Lester Park (if you enjoy hiking) , the Marine Museum on Canal Park, the Depot has a real interesting display of old "stuff", Tweed Museum at UMD is, well, different. My wife and I took the train up the shore last summer, that was kinda fun. If you give an idea of interests it would be easier to come up with a list for you. Me, I'd just as soon spend all my time with a fishing rod and a tackle box. If you are going to move here, I would strongly urge you to look at neighborhoods during the day, then drive them after dark....you'll be surprised what you may see. There are some beautiful old houses in Duluth, one being the Glensheen Mansion on London Road. It was owned by the Congdon family until Elizabeth's untimely and tragic death in 1978(?), now it is owned by the university system and they offer guided tours..well worth it.

Old 03-24-2007, 12:07 AM

29 posts, read 134,484 times
Ok ~ I just gotta say here .... *smile* Delanyland ~ lol

I lived in Duluth for many yrs.... Maya is my Favorite ... Love it ...

and I still own a house in Lakeside ( less then a mile ) from the Glensheen/Congdon Mansion...

It's a great area very little crime there, and the housing prices even though they are going up you can still find a great house for a great price.. all you gotta do is look ....

Stay AWAY from Lincoln Park !!!!! and up by the Hospitals which is known as a very Bad Area....

West Duluth has it's Bad spots, but I lived there before buying my house and I never had any problems or didn't know anyone who did...

Up "on the Hill " is becoming worse and worse, by the mall and close to the colleges...

Some parts of Duluth mainly the East Side have become the party spot for the college kids.... I had problems with drunk students going from door to door in a group looking for the next party... they never caused a problem but it was very annoying having ppl just walk in my house... (wink, but my big dog loved it.. lol )

My suggestion is that you rent for a yr if possible and really check the surrounding areas out....

There is so much good .... and in the wrong spots so much bad... ya just gotta live there for awhile to feel it out and see whats best for you and your family....

Good Luck ~

Old 03-25-2007, 06:23 PM

Do you know of any deals on a decent hotel in duluth area? When I look on expedia or hotels.com, all rooms are outrageously priced. I know weekends are more but is there a decent stay under $100 a night. I like good beds.

Old 03-25-2007, 07:05 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,120,643 times
Duluth is a pretty safe city, for the most part. The main neighborhoods to avoid for crime reasons are Central Hillside (right above downtown, stretching up the hill) and parts of the West End or Lincoln Park (especially the lower elevations).

Much of the eastern part of town seems very safe.

Hermantown is very safe, but spread out.

West Duluth is fairly safe, with some deteriorating parts.

Proctor seems safe, but maybe not as safe as Hermantown.

Old 03-25-2007, 07:12 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,120,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowblind9 View Post
Do you know of any deals on a decent hotel in duluth area? When I look on expedia or hotels.com, all rooms are outrageously priced. I know weekends are more but is there a decent stay under $100 a night. I like good beds.
Try Motel 6:
http://www.motel6.com/ms/check-avail...?searchtype=AD

They're at least as low as $32 / night over the next week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth