U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 08:58 AM

7,525 posts, read 8,159,949 times

Advertisements

Duluth, especially the older neighborhoods, is full of old houses with big, beautiful porches. You could put an old full-size sofa or two van seats on a lot of them and still have room to spare. Many of them have lawn furniture, but with the exception of our tenants, I never see ANYBODY taking advantage of them. For the most part, porches go unused, and a lot of them are even screened in and turned into back halls by the owners.

In addition, I don't see many people walking down the sidewalks of busy streets outside downtown (London Ave., Grand Ave., Central Ave.). This is understandable in the winter, but in the summer? The past few days have been gorgeous, yet on Grand Ave. (for example) in a three block stretch I'll usually only see two or three people walking, one biking, but 30 driving. Even in commercial districts designed for walking (e.g. N. Central Ave / shops around Grand Ave & 55th) do you see few people actually out walking, and they'll usually be walking to or from their car (probably often to drive a few blocks home!) I imagine it's worse out east. What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 11:46 AM

746 posts, read 1,677,409 times
I for one, hate walking/running on most of our main drags. Take London Rd for example, it's such a busy road and can be daunting to cross. I'd be much more apt to walk to my destination if there was a center median with pedestrian crossing signs and markings. This is a problem for many areas of the city. When re-doing roads, the city hasn't really thought about what could be designed differently. London Rd should be a slower parkway style strip, same as Central Entrance and possible Grand.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:23 PM

721 posts, read 1,715,320 times
They're planning to redesign London Rd. and have included round abouts, bike lanes, and a center turn median as options to control the flow of traffic. The trouble is that is has become the main road going north to the shore from the city and the freeway empties into it too.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastle View Post
They're planning to redesign London Rd. and have included round abouts, bike lanes, and a center turn median as options to control the flow of traffic.
I had heard about that as well, but I always gotten the impression that they are referring to London Rd after 26th Ave (going north). The area that could benefit from a re-design the most (and have fewer traffic pattern implications) would be 10th Ave to 26th Ave. The residential along that stretch could be a friendlier area with a center median and bike lanes, perhaps even drop the speed limit down to 25mph and reduce to one lane both ways. It'd be nice to really try and slow people down and make that whole area more pedestrian friendly. Especially if the "dinky town" style area that they want around the Armory ever comes to fruition.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:45 AM

1,878 posts, read 2,715,659 times
Nobody on porches doesn't sound too exciting.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:55 AM

1,669 posts, read 3,880,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Duluth, especially the older neighborhoods, is full of old houses with big, beautiful porches. You could put an old full-size sofa or two van seats on a lot of them and still have room to spare. Many of them have lawn furniture, but with the exception of our tenants, I never see ANYBODY taking advantage of them.
So you wish Duluth looked a little more trashy? Many cities ban people from putting an "old full-size sofa or two van seats" on their front porch.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
So you wish Duluth looked a little more trashy?
I agree. I don't really care for college students throwing an old sofa out in the front lawn or porch. It's find around the colleges and I understand why they do, but I certainly wouldn't want to see that in Congdon, Lakeside or other quality neighborhoods.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:25 PM

7,525 posts, read 8,159,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
So you wish Duluth looked a little more trashy? Many cities ban people from putting an "old full-size sofa or two van seats" on their front porch.
Haha, I just put that in there to see if anybody picked up on it. However, seriously, I'd rather have that than the mostly moribund neighborhoods we currently have.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:10 AM

418 posts, read 654,637 times
I've always wished Duluth was a livelier city.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:17 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,502,277 times
LOL.

Take a stroll down Fourth Street, it's definitely LIVELY. LOL
You'll see plenty of people on porches on 4th st. 3rd st. 2nd street. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth