Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 08:34 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
That's a big IF too..............fwiw you can't TAKE a job, you have to be OFFERED one................... and that is what is NOT happening for a LOT of people.
You're telling me McD's and Wal-mart aren't hiring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 11:49 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
You're telling me McD's and Wal-mart aren't hiring?
They're NOT hiring people they consider to be "overqualified", no. A person can APPLY all they like at low level wage jobs, but it's not up to them if the hiring manager feels they're "not a fit" for whatever reason.

Are you purposefully TRYING to be obtuse or does it come naturally?

Last edited by Opyelie; 07-04-2010 at 11:58 PM..

Old 07-05-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Are you purposefully TRYING to be obtuse or does it come naturally?
No more than you are trying to troll, oh wait...

Bottom line, there are jobs out there, and keeping people on UE benefits for nearly 2+ years is keeping them from taking them. Sorry, but we aren't going to need 100s of people to sell mortgages, sell houses, build houses, or create financial products of mass destruction anymore.

Last edited by chopchop0; 07-05-2010 at 07:16 AM..

Old 07-05-2010, 07:27 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
There is 1 job for every 6-8 people. You see the articles where hundreds turn out for a handful of jobs.

I've got a 19 year old in college. He had jobs..Hollywood Video until they closed. Three months later was able to get a job at Blockbuster Video but only 8 hours per week until they layed him off. He has applied to every supermarket and fast food and retail joint in the area and there is NOTHING. Bare bones staff are running these places. You have adults in the jobs normally done by teens.
Next time you're food shopping or at Walmart..give a hard look at who is working there and their age bracket. How many teens do you see ?

And I'm in Texas..not as hard hit as other places.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:19 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,399,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There is 1 job for every 6-8 people. You see the articles where hundreds turn out for a handful of jobs.

I've got a 19 year old in college. He had jobs..Hollywood Video until they closed. Three months later was able to get a job at Blockbuster Video but only 8 hours per week until they layed him off. He has applied to every supermarket and fast food and retail joint in the area and there is NOTHING. Bare bones staff are running these places. You have adults in the jobs normally done by teens.
Next time you're food shopping or at Walmart..give a hard look at who is working there and their age bracket. How many teens do you see ?

Teens are out. I worked part time after school during high school, and full time during the summers. But the summer job seems to be a thing of the past unless it entrepreneurial like going around and cutting lawns. And anyway kids are so overscheduled with activities by the parents now, there's no time for a job. However I do see plenty of young twenty somethings working at Subway, etc.
Has anyone noticed that CVS has gotten extremely bareboned? Half the time there's no one at the register because they have that person doubling as a floor person, so you have to go look for them when you're ready to pay for your stuff.

Last edited by stars99; 07-05-2010 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: add something

Old 07-05-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by stars99 View Post
Teens are out. I worked part time after school during high school, and full time during the summers. But the summer job seems to be a thing of the past unless it entrepreneurial like going around and cutting lawns. And anyway kids are so overscheduled with activities by the parents now, there's no time for a job. However I do see plenty of young twenty somethings working at Subway, etc.
Has anyone noticed that CVS has gotten extremely bareboned? Half the time there's no one at the register because they have that person doubling as a floor person, so you have to go look for them when you're ready to pay for your stuff.
I agree, the recession has hit teen and minority workers the most:

Minimum Wage Increase Leads to Higher Teen Unemployment Rate - WSJ.com

Quote:
The September teen unemployment rate hit 25.9%, the highest rate since World War II and up from 23.8% in July. Some 330,000 teen jobs have vanished in two months. Hardest hit of all: black male teens, whose unemployment rate shot up to a catastrophic 50.4%. It was merely a terrible 39.2% in July.

The biggest explanation is of course the bad economy. But it's precisely when the economy is down and businesses are slashing costs that raising the minimum wage is so destructive to job creation. Congress began raising the minimum wage from $5.15 an hour in July 2007, and there are now 691,000 fewer teens working.

As the minimum wage has risen, the gap between the overall unemployment rate and the teen rate has widened, as it did again last month. (See nearby chart.) The current Congress has spent billions of dollars—including $1.5 billion in the stimulus bill—on summer youth employment programs and job training. Yet the jobless numbers suggest that the minimum wage destroyed far more jobs than the government programs helped to create.

Congress and the Obama Administration simply ignore the economic consensus that has long linked higher minimum wages with higher unemployment. Two years ago Mr. Neumark and William Wascher, a Federal Reserve economist, reviewed more than 100 academic studies on the impact of the minimum wage. They found "overwhelming" evidence that the least skilled and the young suffer a loss of employment when the minimum wage is increased. Whatever happened to President Obama's pledge to follow the science? Democrats prefer to cite a few outlier studies known to be methodologically flawed.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...953378366.html

Quote:
The evidence is clear that increasing the minimum wage is an expensive and misguided way to try to move working families out of poverty. According to the Employment Policies Institute, 85% of people who earn the minimum wage aren't the primary bread winner in a family.

Most readers remember the work habits they learned from their first job. Showing up on time, being courteous to customers, learning how to use technology—such habits are often more valuable than the actual paycheck. Studies have confirmed that when teens work during summer months or after school they have higher lifetime earnings than those who don't work. So raising the minimum wage may inadvertently reduce lifetime earnings.

Most Democrats won't bend on the minimum wage because it is a core union demand, but free thinkers ought to at least consider the teenage job problem. The long-term danger is that we are building in a higher level of structural unemployment as our least-skilled workers find it harder to climb onto the first rung of the job market.
Washington could at least establish a teenage, or sub-minimum, wage closer to $5 an hour. More than half of all minimum wage workers get a pay raise within one year on the job, so wages will rise naturally with experience and talent. More young people will be hired, and more will learn what it takes to get ahead in America.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:02 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
I agree chopchop0..pushing the min wage higher has hurt more than they helped.
Min wage is entry level type salary for entry level type work. Congress has morphed it into something it was never meant to be..your career salary and they pushed it high claiming people need to support their families on it along with a newfound demand for benefits.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:55 PM

188 posts, read 267,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars99 View Post
So let me get this straight...You take money from individuals (that can use the money for consumption on their own without an unemployed person doing it for them) and from businesses (that would use the money to INVEST in their company to grow it, resulting in increased jobs due to the growth of the company) and give the money to an unemployed person to spend. And this creates jobs? That's the most idiotic thing I've ever heard in my life. I understand it can create a "safety net," even though it does a pretty terrible job since most people just ride out their unemployment until it runs out. And it's free money so why wouldn't they? But, to say it creates jobs when it takes working capital from businesses and those unemployed people spend the money instead? It's complete idiocy. Pelosi is acting as if the money comes out of thin air. Free money for the unemployed to spend! Stimulate the economy! She fails to mention where the money comes from, and that's the problem with her little theory.

Last edited by hskrfan2187; 07-07-2010 at 09:10 PM..

Old 07-10-2010, 02:19 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times
The real problem with this is that we are talking about borrowing the money to give to people on extended unemployment. This means on top of expanding the debt we now have more interest to pay on the debt. On top of that we have 20 million illegals taking jobs that Americans could be working. It gets really frustrating when you look at the irony. The money would be better spent creating projects to rebuild dams, bridges, water and sewer systems and providing jobs instead of paying people to do nothing.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:47 PM

613 posts, read 960,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
The real problem with this is that we are talking about borrowing the money to give to people on extended unemployment. This means on top of expanding the debt we now have more interest to pay on the debt. On top of that we have 20 million illegals taking jobs that Americans could be working. It gets really frustrating when you look at the irony. The money would be better spent creating projects to rebuild dams, bridges, water and sewer systems and providing jobs instead of paying people to do nothing.
Well take your pick, unemployment benefits or welfare. The federal welfare budget is already overbudget for the year and its only July. We will pay out more to welfare than UB because the dependents are eligible for welfare. Remember, there are 8 millions jobs lost since 2008 that will never return. Thats 8 million people and families that will always be on welfare at all times that were not budgeted back in 2008.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics