Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 08:49 AM

329 posts, read 1,045,663 times

Advertisements

I was just curious...

does anybody have any constructive advice for millennials like Scott?

or is this thread just going to continue with the same know-it-all tone of self-righteousness while pointing fingers of blame at everything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 09:21 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,388,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinsonCrusoe View Post
I was just curious...

or is this thread just going to continue with the same know-it-all tone of self-righteousness while pointing fingers of blame at everything?
The self-righteousness will continue, I think. The posters here take so much pride in their kids working as barristas or stocking shelves at CVS after getting their degrees--they miss the point that college is supposed to help you avoid those kind of jobs.

My advice to Scott is to be willing to relocate.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:41 AM

750 posts, read 1,443,979 times
Lots of posters just do not get it. Is the kid a tool for not taking the 40k job offer he sure is. But John23 always makes good posts.The jobs are not there and their are none coming down the pipe. We need 30 million good paying jobs CVS Walmart and Kmart are not going to cut it.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:14 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,258,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinsonCrusoe View Post
I was just curious...

Yes, I gave him some very useful advice a number of pages back, which is to take the very good advice rendered in the comment posted to the NYT article:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
I kind of have to agree with this, despite it being a bit long-winded.

As much as it pains me, the social fiber in America that once was or that could have been is probably dead for quite some time. It will take a crisis far worse than the low-boil recession to give us any chance of rebuilding it.

Yes, he probably should have taken the $40k job, but I actually tend to agree with his grandfather that the kid should probably look to work overseas. The last comment in the NYT piece, #1487, is full of great advice. He should got overseas, live cheaply, experience something new and see what possibilities open up to him. I mean, if he has no debt and no family to depend on him, what on earth could be stopping him? I did it, and although I probably could be making more money now had I settled into a comfortable corporate job in America when I graduated college in 2001 (assuming I could have kept job), I'd be much more miserable. Like this person who wrote the comment, I have no regrets.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:11 PM

7,826 posts, read 11,742,788 times
$75k for someone right out of college with zero experience is very unrealistic (with very few exceptions of course). $45k is more like a starting point. There are people in engineering fields with over a decade of experience right now making $75-80k in major metro areas, why does this kid with zero experience feel entitled to that salary? In addition Engineering is a field that pays far more than what his chosen field pays. So I say this guy is LUCKY that he is starting off at $40k. I suggest if he wants to be successful he drop his arrogant entitlement mentality.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
$75k for someone right out of college with zero experience is very unrealistic (with very few exceptions of course). $45k is more like a starting point. There are people in engineering fields with over a decade of experience right now making $75-80k in major metro areas, why does this kid with zero experience feel entitled to that salary? In addition Engineering is a field that pays far more than what his chosen field pays. So I say this guy is LUCKY that he is starting off at $40k. I suggest if he wants to be successful he drop his arrogant entitlement mentality.
Engineering pays more than finance?

Old 07-25-2010, 02:05 PM

5,003 posts, read 12,331,630 times
I am a borderline Millennial (born 1981) and have this advice: work as SOMETHING prior to landing a job you really want. Employers will look at your resume and see the long gap in college graduation vs. today and ask "well what did you do?" It doesn't matter that there is a Great Recession today. Working (as in, wage earning, NOT volunteering UNLESS it offers a good skill) will plug the gap, as it were.

For me, I landed a job right after college, and interned throughout college in the field I was training for. Now, I'm pretty sure this is a different story since engineers will always be in demand and engineers can easily re-train even if laid off since many employers will offer such training. Further, ask any engineering company - they are eager for young AMERICAN engineers who meet their demands. Why else would corporations seek to get EVEN MORE H1B visas?

So, my advice to those who just graduated with a BA in business or other such major, forget it and if you have any scientific bend at all, go into the sciences or engineering or technology fields of those sciences (e.g. aeronautical engineering technology). Where else would you want to be? Sitting in a job pushing paper? Or working on an airplane, bridge, building, locomotive, or wind turbine?

Also, be willing to relocate. Most of the jobs being created are in the South and Midwest. This is ESPECIALLY TRUE FOR EAST OR WEST COASTERS WHO SNIDELY REFER TO THE GREAT MIDDLE OF THE COUNTRY AS *groan* "Flyover Country". Face it - your beloved NYC or LA are but two islands in this nation. And you can get a much higher quality of life elsewhere with a similar salary (and don't turn down a $50k/year job if it lands you a place in north Texas or Louisiana, you'll live like a king). And also, let's face it, there's so much culture and exploration to do outside of the coasts. I'm not bashing the coasts, I live in Seattle and thus am West Coast, but I grew up in Chicago, and Chicago beats the pants off NYC or LA any day, any time, in my experiences.

So, bottom line, look for science, engineering, technology jobs, and be willing to relocate. They are the jobs of the future. Pretty soon almost all manufacturing will be done automatically or in developing countries (and with Asia being the first step, next is South Asia, SE Asia, Middle Asia, Russia, the Middle East, then Africa ... LOTS more steps before anyone even THINKS of manufacturing in high-cost America). Companies are finding ways to trim middle managers out, so BA in management is a dead-end unless combined with science and technology. Also, for heaven's sake, don't try to manage scientists and engineers without actually trying to understand what they have to go through because of your bull.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Further, ask any engineering company - they are eager for young AMERICAN engineers who meet their demands. Why else would corporations seek to get EVEN MORE H1B visas?
Naive.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:46 PM

7,826 posts, read 11,742,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars99 View Post
Engineering pays more than finance?
Yes, in most cases. Finance is a broad term... I am assuming this kid graduated with some kind of accounting degree. Those start at $40k.

The BOTTOM line is that if the market is only willing to pay him that then THAT IS WHAT HE IS WORTH!!! Not a penny more. The fact that this rich spoiled kid THINKS that he is special and should be paid $75k is irrelevant... he has mailed resumes, the market has spoken.. $40k has come out as what employers are willing to pay him. He can accept it or go into his basement and weep. His choice.

The first few years of your career are always a struggle, looks like this kid wants to make the big bucks and party all night long right away without paying his dues... this is a sentiment shared by many kids these days who are just spoiled rotten by their parents and feel entitled to everything on a platter.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:52 AM

30,873 posts, read 36,825,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars99 View Post
The kid mentioned in the article has an entitlement problem, fostered by his parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics