Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 02:51 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,262,541 times

Advertisements

The Associated Press: More Americans' credit scores sink to new lows

One forth of the people in the United States now have credit scores below 599. This number is huge, and will affect large ticket purchases going forward for some time. With Banks less than eager to lend, and such a large number of people considered a poor risk, it seems inevitable that housing, autos, and other industries dependent on credit sales will continue to struggle for the foreseeable future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 05:45 PM

929 posts, read 2,087,502 times
How about if these people just save up and pay cash... then they don't have to worry about their credit score, they won't have any of those easy payments, and guess what? They would own what they purchased.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:18 PM

32 posts, read 74,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debtmonger View Post
How about if these people just save up and pay cash... then they don't have to worry about their credit score, they won't have any of those easy payments, and guess what? They would own what they purchased.
That is what they will have to do or go with out. Good for them and for the long term economy but bad for the economy in the short and mid term. Cheaper cars and houses and less of them being sold.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:28 PM

839 posts, read 2,411,208 times
This economy has been brutal for a lot of us, particularly those of us in the trades. I've been unemployed a lot of the last two years. Point being, it caused me to fall behind on some bills (never got behind on my mortgage though), and it caused my credit score to tank. I've been digging out as best as I can. When I finally do climb out of this hole, I will NEVER BORROW MONEY AGAIN. Period. Not for ANYTHING!

Old 07-12-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenScoutII View Post
This economy has been brutal for a lot of us, particularly those of us in the trades. I've been unemployed a lot of the last two years. Point being, it caused me to fall behind on some bills (never got behind on my mortgage though), and it caused my credit score to tank. I've been digging out as best as I can. When I finally do climb out of this hole, I will NEVER BORROW MONEY AGAIN. Period. Not for ANYTHING!
Good for you! I wish I could but its so hard when your 28 and you are just starting out not too go into debt. I know some people manage to stay out of debt but in this day and age I really don't know how.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:49 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,572,060 times
Quote:
Good luck ,but you will be very hampered by not being able to do so.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:57 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,034,118 times
Easy credit is partly why we are in this mess now, people who were a good risky likely still are...this just help weed out the pretenders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by setterrex View Post
Good for you! I wish I could but its so hard when your 28 and you are just starting out not too go into debt. I know some people manage to stay out of debt but in this day and age I really don't know how.
Read above suggestion....save up and pay cash. If you can afford payments you can afford to save.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Really if you just have late payments your score will recover very quickly. I had trouble getting a job after college and I didn't know about credit scores so I was really late on all my credit cards. My score was like 530 he first time I checked it. But I educated myself about credit and I was shocked by how fast my score shot up. After about 2 years it was 630. Considered decent. Don't stress too much about the missed payments just stay out of foreclosure, reposession and bankruptcy and a year or two it will be like it never happened. Late payment way less on your score as time goes by !

Old 07-12-2010, 08:13 PM

229 posts, read 572,753 times
Having been unemployed for over a year, I am now losing my credit score (was at 755) and, if I do not find a job soon, I will not only lose my house but also be filing for bankruptcy.

The sad thing is, I did what 'they' suggested and had money in saving to cover 6 month expenses but, house payments and bills, even with unemployment, just ate it up. I wish now I had not bought the house (6 years ago) but at the time my job was stable and who was to know the economy would get so bad?

I've never been late on bills or not paid my way so this has been very shameful and devastating for me.

I have been applying for every job that I could fit in, Administrative Assistant, but there are 200-300 people applying for those same jobs.

It is happening all over, to so many of us.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:14 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,034,118 times
I don't know when 630 was ever considered a 'decent' credit score. At one point it one one step up from terrible....which is still pretty bad. These days it might be even worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics