Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 10:24 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post

No...even if we do manage to get stable, we won't ever recover.
Yes it will. Even the Great Depression ended, though it cost the lives of hundreds of millions of people and the destruction of hundreds of cities to end it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 10:29 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,407,529 times
Default We will most definitely recover

For 234 years, America has come back from every downturn more productive, wealthier, and stronger than ever before. We have challenges today; we have always had challenges. In the 1970's and the 80's and the 90's, periodic business downturns brought forth a lot of people explaining why our problems THIS TIME could never be overcome.

The profit motive is key. As soon as banks figure out there is a buck to be made by lending money, they'll open up. As soon as employers figure out there is a buck to be made by meeting some need of society, they will expand and hire. As soon as people determine they better find a way to be useful to an employer, they will move or train or get a better attitude or do something to get bread on the table.

It cannot be true that government action is required for a recovery--otherwise, how did we ever recover from the Panic of 1837, or any other cyclical downturn?

It cannot be true that societal transformation is bound to wreck us--we survived the closing of the frontier, urbanization, industrialization, the move to technology, women voting, emancipation, Prohibition and its end.

It cannot be true that wrong-headed leadership will ruin the country, we've had some doozies and came out on the other side.

I've got my view on what needs to happen in the November election, but the fact is, whatever happens, we'll survive. Eventually we will be thriving again.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:46 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,019,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars99 View Post
Are you talking about the minimum wage? Most of the jobs being outsourced are not minimum wage jobs, so your argument doesn't apply.
U.S. Department of Labor - Wage and Hour Division (WHD) - Compliance Assistance-Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) (http://www.dol.gov/whd/flsa/index.htm - broken link)

Covers minimum wages, furloughs, reductions in pay, overtime pay, etc.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:08 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
revelated wrote:
The government doesn't get it. They didn't under Bush Sr., they didn't under Clinton, didn't under Bush Jr, and don't under Obama. For some reason they all have this misguided belief that the banks and the rich are what sustain the country.
IMO, these puppets are merely obeying their orders issued by the puppeteers who pull their strings....the bankers who rule the world

Vinsanity wote:
That's the problem with the bailouts; they were just another attempt by the government to subsidize poor financial decisions
IMO, the governement provided bailouts because that's what the government was ordered to do...by the bankers who rule the world

After reading Thieves in the Temple: America Under the Federal Reserve System by Andre Michael Eggelletion, all of the 'seeming' stupidity of the government run by either party made more sense.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:23 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,799,572 times
Sorry, but I disagree. The legislators will be rebuked in the next two election cycles and freedom will return to the land of opportunity.

Americans don't like oppression.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:18 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times
"Those companies don't realize that without workers and fair wages, the products don't get bought. No products, no income. " Unfortunately for many industries, we are no longer the target market. they want to get the people in China, Brazil and India to buy their consumer products now. Forget about the American market.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:54 PM

10 posts, read 6,497 times
I was surprised these are some of the same things I've thought the governments needed to do (I'm 16, I found it astonishing)

But it'd take A LOT to get them to do even a fraction of this...

Also, I think that we need to print less money off daily...inflation rates aren't getting any better...

Old 07-28-2010, 09:56 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,536,876 times
Quote:
Ignorance. The government doesn't get it. They didn't under Bush Sr., they didn't under Clinton, didn't under Bush Jr, and don't under Obama. For some reason they all have this misguided belief that the banks and the rich are what sustain the country. And people here would have me believe that we basically have to cater to the rich because "they create the jobs". The reality is, they take the money and pocket it OR they give the jobs to illegals for a fraction of the fair market rate, or outsource the position for the same low income. They're not hiring American workers. This is proven by virtue of the fact that of all of the banks that have been bailed out, all but one (CitiBank) has posted major profits, done acquisitions and increased their bottom line, yet they've done very little hiring, very little funding to small businesses, very little to help stimulate the economy; instead opting to pay billions of dollars in bonuses that weren't deserved.
The government gets it, all right-- they're simply helping out their best "citizens," those multinational corporations and banks who got bailed out when they sent the world to the brink of a depression. Everything else is smoke, mirrors, bread, and circuses. Illegal aliens aren't ruining America, but the meat packers in Iowa who fired local workers and bussed hundreds of Mexicans up there to replace them-- there's a good argument to be made that the meat packers did their share to ruin the country. I think it's darkly hilarious that Tea Partiers are so up in the air over illegals, when the entities who bankroll the TP definitely want the status quo to remain, if not increase-- and it will increase.

What will ruin America will be the death of the middle class. I'm glad I'm getting old and with any luck, I won't see (much of) it.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:28 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
Hah yes people just recently "got greedy" what a new trend!

Old 07-28-2010, 10:38 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
the governement provided bailouts because that's what the government was ordered to do...by the bankers who rule the world
So how do you believe this happens? I mean in a literal sense, what are the logistics behind it?

When Obama became President did someone sit him down and explain to him that he actually takes orders from bankers? Maybe since he was a senator he was given "the talk" at that point since our legislative branch must also vote on things like bailouts, is that how it works?

If people in congress are let in on the secret do we believe they keep it from their staff, and all the former senators, congressmen, and staffers just keep this secret for the rest of their lives and resist the temptation to tell anyone that they simply take orders from banks?

What about on the controlling side, the bankers who rule the world. Take John Stumpf, the CEO of Wells Fargo. He worked his way up thru the ranks from Norwest Bank in MN, was he at some point also sat down before becoming an executive and told that they actually make policy decisions for the government? Is it odd that no former banking execs, including disgraced ones prosecuted by our government, none of revealed the secret?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics