Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2010, 08:29 AM

576 posts, read 994,137 times

Advertisements

Don't know where else to put this, so figured I'd try here.

The new healthcare laws that will go into effect. I know that one can now keep their grown child on their health insurance until the age of 26 if they want to.

When does that go into effect?

Does the child/adult have to reside with you?

Does the child/adult have to live in the same state?

What if the child/adult is married?

Does anyone know of a good resource where I might find the answers to the above?

I have health insurance through my employer and a daughter who is 22, soon to be moving out of state to be with her husband, who had to move out of state to find work.

She recently had her hours cut where she works, cut to part-time, thus no longer qualifies for bene's with her employer. Her husband, as said above, had to move out of state to find employment and his employer doesn't even offer bene's at all.

Wanted to know if I can add my 22 yo daughter to my health bene's. She will, ultimately, find other employment when she moves to be with her husband, in another state. But in the interim, I wanted to add her to my "family" coverage if that's possible, but don't even know of a resource to answer the above questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 09:44 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times
Call your insurance company.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:05 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
From my understand they must be in school or living with you. teh real catch tho is that the compoany can contribute nothig to their insurance just has to let them in the pool.That will save some money but insurnace with the new requiremnts is going to go up. Companie are just now having actuaries do legacy cost and making many chages as to just what they pay in any dependent cost.That is the thing;you can keep what you have but its not going to be cheap.Just the change to no lifetime limit is goign to drive the cost very high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics