Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 06:54 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
What's the latest on the failing bank in Kabul? Are American taxpayers going to have to bail them out too, to the tune of billions, just to keep the "global economy" for the rich afloat?

washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/01/AR2010090101620.html
I know it is hard for you, but at least try to stay on topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 03:01 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
I know it is hard for you, but at least try to stay on topic.
Maybe we're seeing different things on our browsers, but top of my screen now says:

Too Big To Fail Global Banks Collapse Between Now & First Quarter 2011

The failure of any major bank in the world, in a global economy, is at the very least of relevance. Ever bank that fails has global repercussions, esp if we are going to be pressured to bail them (at least this one) out. But I know you know that.

Last edited by RiverBird; 09-17-2010 at 03:17 PM..

Old 09-18-2010, 09:38 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Maybe we're seeing different things on our browsers, but top of my screen now says:

Too Big To Fail Global Banks Collapse Between Now & First Quarter 2011

The failure of any major bank in the world, in a global economy, is at the very least of relevance. Ever bank that fails has global repercussions, esp if we are going to be pressured to bail them (at least this one) out. But I know you know that.
Perhaps you need to learn the definition of a major bank (TBTF). There are none in Kabul. We are talking about banks whose failure would result in cascade failures.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:48 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Perhaps you need to learn the definition of a major bank (TBTF). There are none in Kabul. We are talking about banks whose failure would result in cascade failures.
Perhaps you might read up on the workings of a global economy.

You do not know anything, nor do I, about the true financial workings of the Bank of Kabul and what it is tied to.

I see your point, however, and will cease bringing that up on this particular thread.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:41 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Tightwad, curious if you have any other input on your thread about all the big global banks that would collapse by 1st quarter 2011?

Old 03-14-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
There will be a financial tsunami (round two) the likes of which the world has never seen.

Global banks will collapse!

Be ready.
In news related to DoomSpammer's 1 1/2 year old prediction of impending round two with global banks collapsing:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/14/bu...dend.html?_r=1

"On Tuesday, the central bank said that 15 of the 19 largest financial firms had enough capital to withstand a severe recession. The results, announced two days ahead of schedule, paved the way for JPMorgan Chase and other banks to bolster dividends and buy back shares. “When you put banks under the kind of dramatic scenarios that the Fed did — and they are still doing well — it tells you how well capitalized the majority of the banks are coming out of this downturn,” said Michael Scanlon, a senior equity analyst with Manulife Asset Management in Boston."

I'm not clear how they simulated it but sounds pretty severe with stock markets going down by half, 13% unemployment, etc.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:31 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
I think it's a great idea to revive these predictions of collapse threads after the date (or time frame) has come and gone in order to point out their absurdity. Thanks, Slackjaw. We are now fully one year past the predicted collapse of the "global banks" and there is no sign of that danger. One would think those posters would be embarrassed (I would be if I were in their shoes), but no, the failures don't seem to slow them down at all.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:00 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,054,512 times
LoL, doomers will never be embarrassed by their verbal diarrhea.

You could spend hours rubbing their noses in vast lists of failed prediction, and they would be ranting their next failed prediction without pause.

It is because it is an emotional imperative so they can ignore how empty their lives are otherwise. Logic takes a back seat and reads a magazine.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:36 AM

762 posts, read 1,099,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
In news related to DoomSpammer's 1 1/2 year old prediction of impending round two with global banks collapsing:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/14/bu...dend.html?_r=1
Being off by 1+ years doesn't make a prediction not true. The financial crisis surfaced 3.5 years ago; that's a miniscule amount of time considering the mess the WORLD is in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by article?
"On Tuesday, the central bank said that 15 of the 19 largest financial firms had enough capital to withstand a severe recession. The results, announced two days ahead of schedule, paved the way for JPMorgan Chase and other banks to bolster dividends and buy back shares. “When you put banks under the kind of dramatic scenarios that the Fed did — and they are still doing well — it tells you how well capitalized the majority of the banks are coming out of this downturn,” said Michael Scanlon, a senior equity analyst with Manulife Asset Management in Boston."
Put the charts/calculators down & use your thinking caps. Even if this deceptive non-sense is true, look what shenanigans/convolutions had to be manufactured to get here. It's an election year people; it's the Gov't/taxpayers turn to DIRECTLY pay for Economic GROWTH until the new POTUS is known.

The banks have been waiting patiently for 2012 to finally arrive. So whip out your credit cards & spend. This way your children will have a job for the next 3-9 months.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOs View Post
Being off by 1+ years doesn't make a prediction not true.
How is that?

If someone predicts an event to happen by 1st quarter 2011, and now in 2012 it has not happened, that would be a failed prediction. There is no grey area. I know the doom & gloom mentality is "wrong again but you wait and see" cycle over and over but that doesn't bend the laws of true/false.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics