Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 07:26 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,271,139 times

Advertisements

Where are the jobs?

Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 11:14 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,171,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
The only real avenue to making a decent income is to become self-employed or start a business.[/b] Right now it is perfect storm for an entrepreneur.
Nope. My wife and I make decent income and have worked for others our entire lives. In fact I'd guess (and I couldn't back this up) that our household income is much higher than your average small business owner, and we only work 40 hours per week.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:18 AM

106,168 posts, read 108,140,134 times
i agree ,some of our outside salespeople in the company make over 200k . they do as well or better then many business owners

Old 09-15-2010, 01:33 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,930,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
"If you go to the library and read up on various topics then that will give you gainful skills which is probably the best education you can get. No need to go to college!"

NO this is not true, you will need a bachelors on your resume just to get your foot in the door/past the HR filtering software. And if you get a bachelors from a big 10 or a school that has a winning football team - even better ... sad but true.

Every one needs some post-high school training whether it be a college degree, technical certificate or whatever.
If you are seeking desk work (at any level) this is true. If you go into apprenticeship or directly into your own into a trade, often learning on the job, a liberal arts college degree is a waste of time. There are no practical skills learned in liberal arts. If you're going to go to college, make it mean something. Study to be a doctor, lawyer, cpa, scientist, etc. Otherwise you're wasting your money, and/or will be on the endless "schooling track."

Old 09-15-2010, 02:44 PM

3,852 posts, read 12,845,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Nope. My wife and I make decent income and have worked for others our entire lives. In fact I'd guess (and I couldn't back this up) that our household income is much higher than your average small business owner, and we only work 40 hours per week.
Look, the new economy is entirely different from the old economy. In the old economy you could go to college (which was affordable back then), get your degree, and get a decent paying job. If you were a high school grad you could graduate and get a decent paying manufacturing job. In the new economy none of that applies. A high school graduate basically means nothing these days. A college degree probably means you are maxed out on student loans.

These days 8-10$/hr jobs are hard to come by.

If you are making a decent income these days I'd consider yourself lucky.

Quote:
i agree ,some of our outside salespeople in the company make over 200k . they do as well or better then many business owners
well if they are that good as salesmen I am sure they would have been millionaires if they developed their own product and sold it. A salesman only makes 200k+ when he has made the company far more than that in profit. When you work for someone else, you are always selling yourself short. Thats a business makes its profit.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Look, the new economy is entirely different from the old economy. In the old economy you could go to college (which was affordable back then), get your degree, and get a decent paying job. If you were a high school grad you could graduate and get a decent paying manufacturing job. In the new economy none of that applies. A high school graduate basically means nothing these days.
I was taking issue with your claim that the only way to make decent money is to be self-employed, not addressing $8-$10 jobs or the fate or those with only a high-school education.

I'm not bashing people who start their own business I believe it drives America and I hold them in the highest regard, but it isn't for everyone and any claims that you can't make a decent income calling someone else "Boss" five days a week is proven wrong by millions around us.

Quote:
If you are making a decent income these days I'd consider yourself lucky
Most people make their our own luck thru hard work and wise choices, that's why "luck" tends to find them over and over.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:44 PM

106,168 posts, read 108,140,134 times
there is alot of truth to that.. so many people i have come across had over and over again started successful businesses and then tried something else and were just as successful.

luck plays less of a part then having the nerve to do certain things.

through out life for most of us we tend to believe our own bullsh-t...our brains find a million reasons why we shouldnt do something.

it will point out all the negatives, all the things that could go wrong and all the ramifications of failure.

its those that can dis-regard that little voice that tend to be the most successful... our company owner lives by ready fire aim.....

Old 09-15-2010, 07:24 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,180,120 times
It does not pay for everyone to be a business owner simply because some people will not be the most efficient business owners. It is better for them to work for an employer doing a job that they are very efficient and good at.

It pays to own your own business if you are the most efficient or if there is not a lot of competition and you provide a service or goods that are in demand.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:43 PM

Good points my friends.

Mathjak - Totally agree. In fact show me a business owner and often times it's be someone who has owned seven of them, many failed and some successful. What astounds me is how often they can totally change gears, saying they used to own a gas station but now have a sports marketing business.

There is certainly some luck in life but I think it plays less and less of a role from birth onward, what many attribute to luck is simply people with good instincts and people willing to work hard.

Crisan - Agreed, and I'd add simple hard work as an important attribute. If you're putting in your 8-5 for someone else you can afford to not give a ****.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:33 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,876,919 times
College education is a sick joke.

-I remember graduating from highschool in 1996. My highschool had 2,200 or 2,300 students. Maybe 300 seniors. Are all of them going to get jobs? Are they all going to reach the fairy tale that teachers, instructors and counselors told them would be theirs? Success. Go to college you'll be successful. You'll easily get a job.

They weren't looking at hard facts. Multiply that highschool experience times 200 others in Southern California. Times 2,000 schools in other states. Times 4,000 schools on the east coast. And they were all going to go to college, pay $15,000-40,000 a year, and they'll all get jobs and be successful in 10-15 years. Not quite!

I could see this thing coming a mile away. Thats why I spent very little (comparitively for college). I didnt want to gamble $20,000 a year on some iffy major.

-What's going on now has to be the dumbest thing on earth. Jobs are becoming increasingly scarce, yet we lock up our kids for 12 years, and all they do is rote memorization. Rote memorization isn't going to do you a lick of good in the new global economy.

That's the last thing we should be doing.

The old economy in America (from 1950 to 1980) was like the glass dome that went over Springfield in the Simpsons movie. It was a highly enclosed economic system. Supply and demand balanced.

The 2010 economy is a sham. Educators charge 4x the prices vs 1980 America, yet the glass dome has come off. College costs should be 1/2 of 1980 America. Because there are 5 billion other people outside of the Dome. It should be 1/2 the cost, with 3x the quality. That's how you counterbalance the effect of 5 billion other people out there. That's how you get traction on the jobs issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics