Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 11:09 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times

Advertisements

My credit score was always in the high 700's but doing my annual check I find it is down to 690!

Nothing changed other than allowing unused credit cards to expire.

What is up with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 12:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
That's what did it..the CC's coming OFF.
I don't quite understand it either..pay off a loan (I did that) and you get a drop in score.

I can only assume that over the years credit score has morphed into how much "debt" you carry.

I'm down to one CC that I pay off each month and 1 mortgage. About 2 years ago I refinanced to a lower rate and saw my score. Thought it would have been higher seeing I have little debt, solid payment history and good net worth. The loan officer at my CU explained that my one CC that got paid off every month wasn't really "carrying debt". But the officer did say that credit score was only one part and that my savings and other assets played a bigger part than the number itself.

I wouldn't worry too much .... these days cash talks as well as a solid history of payments.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:41 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
"I can only assume that over the years credit score has morphed into how much "debt" you carry."

Yes, and this it the main reason I hate the FICO system. FICO is designed to keep people in perpetual debt by either carrying debt or making you pay more for new debt because you didn't have any debt.

The OP paniced when their FICO dropped 10 point. 10 points already!! For crying out loud you'd think the world would end but all it means it that the OP now has less debt for the banks to feed on so they will "Punish" the OP for daring to be a little less in debt.

Give me a fricking break here!!

Is that how brain washed people have become that they let the banks decide how much debt they carry? I can't imagine what life is like for the debt free. Do they sleep well at night? You bet they do!!!

Old 09-19-2010, 04:04 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,713,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
"I can only assume that over the years credit score has morphed into how much "debt" you carry."

Yes, and this it the main reason I hate the FICO system. FICO is designed to keep people in perpetual debt by either carrying debt or making you pay more for new debt because you didn't have any debt.

The OP paniced when their FICO dropped 10 point. 10 points already!! For crying out loud you'd think the world would end but all it means it that the OP now has less debt for the banks to feed on so they will "Punish" the OP for daring to be a little less in debt.

Is that how brain washed people have become that they let the banks decide how much debt they carry? I can't imagine what life is like for the debt free. Do they sleep well at night? You bet they do!!!
Oh please. Statements like these are why some posters on this forum have minimal credibility. Only a drama queen (or king) would characterize the OP as panicking. He simply asked a question that was puzzling him, and now he's panicking and brain-washed? And it was 100 points not 10.

Calling people brainwashed? You know the saying about pointing fingers . . .

Old 09-19-2010, 04:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
One would think their FICO would increase 10 points when a debt is paid off and comes off the score.
Plus less CC's on the FICO should be a GOOD thing, not bad.

I dunno..it's just crazy. But I don't worry about it..I manage my finances to stay OUT of debt and haven't had a problem with any big ticket purchases.

You see D-E-B-T is a 4 letter word

Old 09-19-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Oh please. Statements like these are why some posters on this forum have minimal credibility. Only a drama queen (or king) would characterize the OP as panicking. He simply asked a question that was puzzling him, and now he's panicking and brain-washed? And it was 100 points not 10.

Calling people brainwashed? You know the saying about pointing fingers . . .
Ta Da!!!

Old 09-19-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You see D-E-B-T is a 4 letter word
Yes, I agree!

That's a fight'en word for me !

Old 09-19-2010, 04:24 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post

I am the OP (I guess) and it dropped 90 points from 780 to 690 not the 10 you state.

I didn't panic I never plan to use credit again. Everything is paid off, kids are grown and gone, retirement is set and I plan to live the rest of my life without borrowing a dime. Ever.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:58 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default I don't agree...

Something is not right.

A credit score that was "in the high 700s" is a good thing, as it afford you the opportunity to borrow at the lowest rate.

A score in the 600s could mean significantly higher rates, as well as some lenders thar just will not work with you.

What I suspect has happened is not "just that some unused credit cards have expired" but that the OP has unintentionally reduced the total amount of credit they have available, made it appear that they use much more of their avsiable credit, and possibly reduced both the highest amount they may have borrowed in their active credit file AND the length of credit history.

Each of the above points effectively makes them appears to be a worse risk.

While if "they never plan on using credit again" this may not matter, but even when I have money in the bank there are many times when i choose to use financing, even for just a 'what if' so it may be prudent to use a little forethought when choosing which accounts to close / keep...

Old 09-19-2010, 05:38 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
My credit score was always in the high 700's but doing my annual check I find it is down to 690!

Nothing changed other than allowing unused credit cards to expire.

What is up with this?
Your credit score is a alchemical equation of babble designed to confound you.

However there are a few very important things you need to know to maintain a high credit score.

You must maintain a balance of 10% to 20% of the credit card's limit at all times. If you fail to do so, you will be penalized. If your balance exceeds 20% of your card limit you will be penalized, and the higher the percentage the more the penalty hurts.

This creates a problem because some lenders, like Crapital One refuse to report the credit limits. I believe someone was attempting to sue them under the FCRA or some other law but I never followed the case or followed up to see the outcome (if any).

The age of the cards is incredibly important. The more older cards you have the higher your score goes. When you let those cards lapse, you lost a lot of the age of your credit report.

This creates a paradox because when you have a collection account, it will initially hurt your credit score but after several years it has no effect, and the a year later it actually boosts your credit score, and then you either pay off the old collection (stupid) or it "falls off" after 7 1/2 years and your score drops 10 to 80 points depending on the amount of the collection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics