U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-02-2007, 05:26 PM

1,970 posts, read 4,518,540 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about becoming an enrolled agent, but am scared silly about the background check. Does anyone know exactly what they look for? I've heard that the IRS can go back 3 years and check taxes--does that mean that they'll audit the past 3 years? I've done our taxes and am 99% positive that I've done them correctly, but still one of those years was before I had my accounting degree sooooo.....is getting the EA worth inviting the IRS to take at look at you? Also heard that the FBI conducts a check as well. Before I open me and the hubby up to this, just trying to figure out exactly what "this" is. TIA
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 08:29 AM

6,985 posts, read 16,696,662 times
I'm at a lost. What is an enrolled agent? I am assuming that it is some sort of governmental job. It may be that there will be no background checks but you are being warned that there may be so that if you are trying to hide something, you won't bother to apply. Unless the position is very important or very sensitive, I really doubt that they would bother with it. Audits take time to do. They are warning you so that if by chance they did do one, you will not be able to say that you weren't warned.

Now, if you or your husband do have something to hide, maybe you should think hard about this.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:43 AM

1,970 posts, read 4,518,540 times
From this site:NAEA : What is an Enrolled Agent? (http://www.naea.org/memberportal/Resources/ForTaxpayers/whatis_EA.htm - broken link)

Enrolled” means to be licensed to practice by the federal government, and “Agent” means authorized to appear in the place of the taxpayer at the IRS. Only Enrolled Agents, attorneys, and CPAs may represent taxpayers before the IRS. The Enrolled Agent profession dates back to 1884 when, after questionable claims had been presented for Civil War losses, Congress acted to regulate persons who represented citizens in their dealings with the U.S. Treasury Department.

I want to start my own tax prep business, but want to be more than just a tax preparer.

Thanks for your input. Last night, I actually pulled my old tax records to be on the safe side and I've done them correctly so feeling better. As for having anything to hide---I'm the most boring person I know so will definitely be ok there.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:58 PM

2,842 posts, read 8,981,205 times
They go back way farther than 3 years. If you have anything, I mean anything you don't want found out - they will find it. You need to be honest on any documentation you fill out. Also, they will check with any neighbors and relatives when they do a full background on you. Honesty will be the best policy.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:09 PM

2,920 posts, read 7,343,986 times
I'm not sure if this is the same kind of background check I had to be a substitute teacher? My fingerprints were taken (plus processing fee) at the school's administration office which were then sent to the FBI.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:04 PM

1,048 posts, read 3,049,349 times
It may depend and they can go back, just like for any person, more than the 3 years if they wish.

I know afew people who did it and cannot recall any problems issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics