U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 01:15 PM

8,957 posts, read 17,021,893 times

Advertisements

My son was just laid off.......again!

"But this year, millions more Americans will discover that the music has stopped playing and they are left without a seat at the table.

Meanwhile, neither political party has a workable solution. They just like to point fingers and blame each other."

20 Signs that the Economic Collapse Is Already Upon Us | Economy | AlterNet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 01:35 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,033,460 times
I think that's the 3rd time I've seen this article posted. I guess we can never have enough "economic armageddon" threads.

If it is upon us, which things are not ideal, I think all you can do is the best you can do and make the best life for yourself. It's what my relatives did in the Great Depression(some did well financially) and what we will have to do now.

I think there is only so much navel gazing we can do before it's time to take direct action and not worry about things we can't control and instead work on the things that we can.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:17 PM

5,092 posts, read 9,608,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post

I think there is only so much navel gazing we can do before it's time to take direct action and not worry about things we can't control and instead work on the things that we can.
wow . . . 2/3 of the way through the Serenity Prayer --

1. Things you can change. (and the courage to do so)
2. Things you cannot change. (and the serenity to accept)

and then the only part lacking . . .

3. The wisdom to know the difference.

Overall I would say that US is rather lacking on a lot of the Wisdom thingy.

========================

or my version -- the Senility Prayer . . .

Change?
Where is my change?
Where are my keys?
Where is my wallet?
What am I doing here?
Who are you???
God . . . it!

Old 09-30-2010, 04:00 PM

8,957 posts, read 17,021,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I think that's the 3rd time I've seen this article posted. I guess we can never have enough "economic armageddon" threads.
That is a risk one takes on a forum as large and busy as CD is.........

Old 09-30-2010, 04:20 PM

16,588 posts, read 16,261,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
My son was just laid off.......again!

"But this year, millions more Americans will discover that the music has stopped playing and they are left without a seat at the table.

Meanwhile, neither political party has a workable solution. They just like to point fingers and blame each other."

20 Signs that the Economic Collapse Is Already Upon Us | Economy | AlterNet
I'm not saying your son did anything wrong or didn't do a good job at work, but seriously... because your son keeps getting fired doesn't justify some random article that the economic collapse is already upon us. The worst is over, no matter if it's Republicans or Democrats who take control in November, the economy will continue to slowly improve. Our sales in our business are up between 25% to 60% every month this year compared to last year. I don't know a single person who is actively looking for a job that can't find one. I'm not saying that the economy is doing great, but it is definitely not going into another collapse, at least not now.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:37 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,033,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
wow . . . 2/3 of the way through the Serenity Prayer --

1. Things you can change. (and the courage to do so)
2. Things you cannot change. (and the serenity to accept)

and then the only part lacking . . .

3. The wisdom to know the difference.

Overall I would say that US is rather lacking on a lot of the Wisdom thingy.

========================

or my version -- the Senility Prayer . . .

Change?
Where is my change?
Where are my keys?
Where is my wallet?
What am I doing here?
Who are you???
God . . . it!
Yes didn't realize I was quoting the serenity prayer. Forgot all about that.

I think regardless of how many problems the gubment makes with bureaucracy and taxes, we just have to do the best we can everyday.

For a lot of people out there I think they were sitting around thinking that obama and et al was going to set everything right for them, but he aint so time to get cracking.

It seems the business sector of the forum is overrun with these doom and gloom threads and while it was great to have some introspection for a while, it's now nearly 2011 and time to push forward and while things might not be perfect, may as well have some positive attitudes and thoughts.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:43 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,098,930 times
Just another tightwad posting;look down the page;he likes the sky is falling type.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:03 PM

7,844 posts, read 14,525,614 times
Oh boy...here we go again. The world is ending....the sky is falling. We're all doomed. Save the women and children. If the world is really ending, I wish it would hurry up and end already. All the buildup and anticipation is getting old.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:29 AM

2,079 posts, read 2,480,136 times
whats in that pipe, tightwad?

Old 10-01-2010, 09:58 AM

7,091 posts, read 10,494,365 times
Most people are poor because when it comes to investing, the world is filled with Chicken Littles running around yelling, ‘The sky is falling. The sky is falling.’
- Robert Kiyosaki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics