Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 02:05 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,172 times

Advertisements

I had a mortgage with GMAC. I had problems with the house, and owed more than it was worth. I tried to work with the company through a short sale, but GMAC insisted on the amount I owed as a list price, which was about half of the value.

However, a lady put in a very good offer (for them) at 10k less than the list. GMAC denied the offer, and stated they would take nothing less than what I owed.

So, I walked away from the house, and the house sold at auction for 75% less than the previous offer. One of the best financial decisions I have made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 03:18 PM

5,480 posts, read 6,305,303 times
Quote:
I am no fan of Obama and his anti-capitalist policies, but he did the right thing by vetoing this bill. If a bank is going to foreclose on your home, the least they could do is sign the papers in person and have it properly notarized. With that said, I do NOT believe that this latest so called crisis is going to amount to anything. Bank Of America has stated that they believe review will show that they acted correctly in a vast majority of foreclosures, and that the inproper paperwork will affect only a very small number of cases. Unfortunatley, this "issue" has been siezed upon by a sensationalist media and a few desperate politicians in a vain attempt to make banks into the popular scapegoat yet again in an effort to avoid getting swept out of office in November. It is my humble opinion that this "issue" will quickly dive under the radar and disappear after the Nov election.
I hate to say "I told you so, but.....". Is there still a problem to be dealt with, yes, but nowhere near the magnitude of what has been reported. I am convinced this whole thing was blown waaaay out of proportion by the lawyers, politicians, and the media. Hope you bought into the banks the last few days!

Bank of America: Foreclosure Mess Overblown, Says FBR - Stocks To Watch Today - Barrons.com

Old 10-18-2010, 09:17 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,249,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
I had a mortgage with GMAC. I had problems with the house, and owed more than it was worth. I tried to work with the company through a short sale, but GMAC insisted on the amount I owed as a list price, which was about half of the value.

However, a lady put in a very good offer (for them) at 10k less than the list. GMAC denied the offer, and stated they would take nothing less than what I owed.

So, I walked away from the house, and the house sold at auction for 75% less than the previous offer. One of the best financial decisions I have made.
lol that'll learn 'em.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:46 AM

2,361 posts, read 2,537,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post

I hope for your sake that the state where the property is located has an anti-deficiency statute that prevents the noteholder from suing you for the balance of the note after the foreclosure auction sale price is deducted. Most of the post-foreclosure notes are sold for pennies on the dollar to vulture capitalists, who turn them into quick judgments.

And unless your mortgage was one of the rare ones with no mortgage insurance, GMAC had little or no interest in sharing the pain of the house's decreased value, as the mortgage insurance policy paid them the principal balance on the mortgage, even if the house wasn't worth that much.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:04 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
I hate to say "I told you so, but.....". Is there still a problem to be dealt with, yes, but nowhere near the magnitude of what has been reported. I am convinced this whole thing was blown waaaay out of proportion by the lawyers, politicians, and the media. Hope you bought into the banks the last few days!

Bank of America: Foreclosure Mess Overblown, Says FBR - Stocks To Watch Today - Barrons.com
Yeah. That's why the FBI has stepped in. "cuz it's a big bunch of nothin'.

FBI stepping into foreclosure-document mess - Business - Real estate - msnbc.com

Old 10-20-2010, 08:04 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
I hope for your sake that the state where the property is located has an anti-deficiency statute that prevents the noteholder from suing you for the balance of the note after the foreclosure auction sale price is deducted. Most of the post-foreclosure notes are sold for pennies on the dollar to vulture capitalists, who turn them into quick judgments.

And unless your mortgage was one of the rare ones with no mortgage insurance, GMAC had little or no interest in sharing the pain of the house's decreased value, as the mortgage insurance policy paid them the principal balance on the mortgage, even if the house wasn't worth that much.
yep.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well..HR3808 will save their butts.

Allows states to recognize notarizations from other states via electronic means.
Bill passed both House and Senate with NO debate and is sitting on Obama's desk.

These banks will not get in trouble and will be able to continue to foreclose on homes they don't own. Just wait and see. WE, the people, do not run the government.

H.R.3808: Interstate Recognition of Notarizations Act of 2009 - U.S. Congress - OpenCongress

Bank foreclosure cover seen in bill at Obama's desk | Reuters

Is HR3808 The Equivalent Of TARP 2 And Obama's "Get Out Of Bail" Gift Card For The High Frequency Signing Scandal? | zero hedge

Obama Clarifies Pocket Veto Of Controversial Bill Related To Foreclosures

"To leave no doubt that the bill is being vetoed," said Obama in a statement, "in addition to withholding my signature, I am returning H.R. 3808 to the Clerk of the House of Representatives, along with this Memorandum of Disapproval."

Old 10-28-2010, 12:39 AM

166 posts, read 375,323 times
Nice, pocket veto until November. Classic!

I've got to hand one thing to our chief. . .he might be the best "can kicker" in history! lol

Old 11-02-2010, 12:19 PM

Yeah, like the healthcare stuff and biggest financial reform since the Great Depression. Swept that right under the rug for the next President to handle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics